Looking for advice, Michigan Waters, south end Looking for advice, Michigan Waters, south end Looking for advice, Michigan Waters, south end Looking for advice, Michigan Waters, south end
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Looking for advice, Michigan Waters, south end

We're 37 year sailors that turned to power boating 3 years ago. We are interested in walleye fishing. We have done quite a bit of Perching in the last 3 years but want to expand this to include trolling and jigging for walleye here in the VERY southwest end. By that I mean from Brest Bay south Tuttle Island. We don't want to go east to West Sister if we don't have to. We would prefer to stay closer in. More like Toledo Light. We've been basically rebuilding the boat from the inside out after the first year of hull and power line work. We got set up for walleye a bit late in the season last year. So any help regarding locations and what works would be helpful. Here's how we are currently set up:

Boat is a brand new 1987 26' SeaRay Sundancer. Typical carbureted 350. We rebuilt the lower unit last fall as we needed an impeller anyway. Couldn't idle below 1000 rpm or we ran hot. This was a trolling speed of 2.5 mph. From what we've read, that's even a bit fast in warmer water. Prop is now a 16/16 up from the typical 15.5/14. We have no idea what we've given up on the top end as we've never had a reason to go there. Typical cruse from here the Islands is 18 to 21 mph @ 3000rpm depending on the sea state. Roughly figures to be 1.75 to 2 mpg

Set up = Four Cabela's (Scotty) 360TH rod holders on the lift extension evenly spaced across the transom. Four Cabela's 7' medium action trolling rods with 2 Cabela's Depthmaster composite line counter reels and 2 with used Magda Pro reels. All four wound with 14lb green mono.

Winter before last we snelled 25 worm harnesses. All with mixed colors, half with medium Colorado blades, the rest are willows. They are two hook harnesses with the stinger about 3 inches behind the bait hook. All beads are 60mm faceted to maximize flash. They all have about 4ft of leader,

We have an even mix of bottom bouncers and snap weights from 3/4oz to 2oz and four small divers. We also have two in line planer boards wit strike flags.

We have 6 STORM Hot N Tots with the UV flash colors along with 30 year collection of surface and diving lures from our days of camping and canoe fishing in small lakes,

That is pretty much everything except for the minnow bucket, fish cooler, and the ALL Important beer cooler. Oh yes the kids boght a selection of six spoons off the clearance rack at Walmart for Christmas and the Princess bought us the big Cabela's walleye Jig kit with a selection of colored jigs and jig heads.

We are open to any and all suggestions on locations, equipment and its use. We realize we aren't "Charter" equipped, but the Princess refuses to pay to go fishing with me anyway!

Post Thanks / Like

Default walleye on west end

Hello
    Wanted to give my two cents.
    When I started fishing lake erie-west end- there were only two baits the erie derie and wiggle warts being used.now you can get so many conflicting views on gear it can be confusing,like most people you will develop your own way of fishing and baits and colors also.Right now I am a hardcore reef runner fan,I have done so well on reef runners i really dont use allot of other baits,I also have done well with rapala deep tail dancers especially the the purpulecent color,color dose matter and it changes time to time.I remember going out with a box full of colors and catching 16 walleyes and 14 coming on one color ,I guess just be open minded try different depths and colors until you repetiviely catch fish,I dont change for one fish,but if i get two on the same set up I do start changing and if that continues i change a few more,I always keep one near bottom and another up high.I quit using crawlers only because i caught more trash fish than with lures and i got tired of dealing with them.I have never used spoons but i can tell you i have seen charters running all spoons and running fast I would guess at least 3-4 mph and just having fish on continuosly,so i certainly wouldnt rule them out.I am from Michigan and I have started fishing the reef area around port Clinton and the bass Islands area,also the Huron area in late fall right up to fridgid weather and done well,as far as numbers I do Believe Ohio waters is best,plenty in Michigan but if you want consistency and numbers I think Ohio.I have a 21 ft boat sleep on it and have stayed over night at sister Island many times,I love the protection of an island ,at least one side will be protected,might have to move at night but you will be safe.I personally believe Lake Erie to probably be the best Walleye fishing in the world and if you do anything nearly right you will catch some walleye.planers boards and clip weights are something you really need,the further you get from the boat the better you do.I use walleye boards the inline ones and love them,the clip weights will put you at any depth you choose-clip right on the line.
    Tom

Post Thanks / Like

With what you have boat wise, I'd suggest running #40 jets and spoons. From 2.0 MPH on up. Unless you have really large trolling bags you are not going to get slow enough to run harnesses trolling. You could drift with bouncers and cast weapons ( harnesses with egg sinkers) and do quite well. But the jets/spoons would really put a lot of fish in Michigan waters into your boat. Using inline boards or big boards, your choice. From Luna pier out to the shipping channel up to Brestbay and Fermi.
    I can only hope I have earned the freedom that has been given me.