Stick bait Leaders Stick bait Leaders Stick bait Leaders Stick bait Leaders

Default Stick bait Leaders

When pulling stickbaits like reef runners, husky jerks, etc. I would like to know if you good folks attach the lure to your braid or do you utilize a floro.leader.
    I know walleyes aren't are particularly line shy. I would like to eliminate another line/leader connector (read possible failure) if it doesn't matter.

I had one rod out of 4 that has braided on and last weekend tied directly to the swivel which took it's fair share. I don't see a difference. I'm sure someone else will tho.
    F Troop 9th Cav 1st Air Cav

I use a 8 foot floro leader swiveled on both ends. When the water is clear I do believe it makes a difference. I have tested this theory out using 12 poles in the past. Also Dont use anything less that 20 pound leader if you decided to go that way. I learned my lesson several springs ago catching these big fish Ohio's. Also using a leader will allow the line to break if you happen to get to close to a reef, you know when your troll ing and boats won't move for you and you get forced in Lol.

I tie an 8' 20# floor leader too. I attach to the braid with either an Albright knot or Double Uni. I've caught many big eyes and never had either of these knots fail. One thing is you can reel the knots right through the guides. Then I use just a quality clip with no swivel.
    Captain Greg
    Walleye2go Sportfishing

Thanks guys. I thought a leader was the way to go. I'm coming out to your neck of the woods for a whole week of walleye fishing. I'm looking forward to it like a 10 year old a week before Christmas. Man are we blessed to have this kind of fishing at our doorsteps. I started fishing in the blue pike days, suffered through the dead lake days, and am rejoicing in what we now enjoy.

You are after a reaction bite, you are not finesse fishing. I'm at the other end from the other replies. I've ran florescent yellow braid on one side of the boat for almost 2 seasons ( my wife thought the yellow would scare the fish away). No leaders. I ran #17 XT green on the other side. Quite often the braid side took a lot more fish than the mono. Allowing for depth difference etc. So is it the way braid causes the baits to run, is the bright yellow braid an attractant? Who knows. I just don't care for running braided line. But your still trolling and the fish only have seconds to decide if they want to chase/bite or not.
    With that said, over the years, typically one side of the boat takes more fish than the other. Even after moving trolling paths to try to get both sides catching at the same rate. This is when it is a slower day trying to figure out what the fish want. When the catching is hot, it really doesn't matter. Just my experience.
    Last edited by ebijack; 04-24-2015 at 05:01 AM.
    I can only hope I have earned the freedom that has been given me.

Default more fish on one side the boat

Quote Originally Posted by ebijack View Post
    You are after a reaction bite, you are not finesse fishing. I'm at the other end from the other replies. I've ran florescent yellow braid on one side of the boat for almost 2 seasons ( my wife thought the yellow would scare the fish away). No leaders. I ran #17 XT green on the other side. Quite often the braid side took a lot more fish than the mono. Allowing for depth difference etc. So is it the way braid causes the baits to run, is the bright yellow braid an attractant? Who knows. I just don't care for running braided line. But your still trolling and the fish only have seconds to decide if they want to chase/bite or not.
    With that said, over the years, typically one side of the boat takes more fish than the other. Even after moving trolling paths to try to get both sides catching at the same rate. This is when it is a slower day trying to figure out what the fish want. When the catching is hot, it really doesn't matter. Just my experience.
    I have found that one side the boat normally catches more fish than the other and that is predictable,the wind and wave direction causes lines boards and baits to run differently on one side than the other,I run inline boards and i can predict the side that is going to do best by the way the boards run,and i can do it consistently,typically one side will run closer to the boat and more jerky,while the other runs more consistent and smoothly,the most consistent side always catches me more fish.