Getting into trolling - Need Help Getting into trolling - Need Help Getting into trolling - Need Help Getting into trolling - Need Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Getting into trolling - Need Help

I have a 16' deep V open boat, w/40 hp tiller primarily used for duck hunting/fishing. I want to try this trolling thing, first starting out with just two rods/boards. I intend to use the Offshore boards with cheater flags but I want to pick up a couple line counter rod/reels to troll early season and on small Michigan lakes for Walleye. What rod/reel combo do you guys recommend without breaking the bank or getting to fancy.

Anyone willing to let me tag along next Sat/Sun April 25/26th to learn some things? Willing to pitch in for gas!

What length rod/action?
    What size line for Erie Walleye?
    Braid or mono?
    Best place to buy the OffShore boards, OR-19 adjustable snap releases, snap wt kit?

Thanks,
    Mike

Try net craft. They have a rod reel combo with line counter that's good for starters. They guys at net craft have answered a lot of questions I have had about trolling as well. Give them a try.

I use 8' walleye angler med action rods from BPS with diawa line counters. 30 lb suffix 832 braid line. I searched for the best price on my boards from local shops and ended up at jans netcraft but that was 2 yes ago. Also got the snap wt kit there. I try to buy as local as I can but I'm sure you could find better deals online. If you decide what you want give the walleye tackle store or dreamcatcher bait and tackle they are both really helpful.

Forgot about Janns, I'll have to stop there this week after work.

Don't forget rod holders for sure. I put Scotty's on my duck/fishing boat quite awhile ago and have never had any problems. I can
    run one to three per side, easily removed for storage and won't break the bank.

Gene

I bought 8.5' rods when I first started because it's what a friend used. In hindsight, feel I'd have been better off to go with 7' as the 8.5's are quite long in my 19' boat. Probably just personal preference.

7 or 7.5" was what I was thinking for the shear fact of to long to manage in vehicle, boat, storage, etc. Unless there is an advantage to longer rod in small boat or addition of running more than two rods.

The walleye anglers I use collapse to just under 7' for storage by sliding down into the handle.

I started and stayed with 6 1/2 ft. rods, but I only ran big boards instead of inlines. I am not sure if pulling inlines would make a difference or not on its backbone. I shutter to think what some would say as to my choice of rods now. But my choice was primarily
    because of the big boards and storage as you stated.

I left this reply for you in another thread.

I would stay with a 6 to 6.5 ft medium action rod in a 16 ft boat! The boards I would upgrade to the snapper release that you have mentioned. I feel that you would be better off assembling your own snap wts as you will most likely be using mostly 1 and 2 oz wts. You can buy several snaps with retainer rings and have spare wts. ready to go and not have several heavier wts that you most likely will never use taking up valuable space in your rig. I have included a link for the boards at a reasonable price.

http://northwoodsoutlet.net/store/in...laner%20boards

Here are 2 sites that sell the releases I use for snap wts.

https://amishoutfitters.com/catalog/...products_id=71

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PLANER-BOARD...item19fc0aed5e

You can easily fashion your own Tattle Tail flags from this!

http://www.ohiogamefishing.com/commu...lag#post988017
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip