Shakedown trip Shakedown trip Shakedown trip Shakedown trip
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Shakedown trip

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Shakedown trip

I'm back and couldn't be happier. Went to the Catawba ramp yesterday only to be greeted with 35 mph winds so common sense took over and we ran home (135 miles to Warren) and regrouped this AM. Launched a little after 8:00 AM into a beautiful flat lake and headed for "D" can. 5 minutes into the trip, the LoOil warning alarm sounded. I had this same problem last year. I killed the motor, waited 15 seconds and started on course again knowing there really was no problem. Two minutes later the same warning and the same recycle. The third time was a charm and I proceeded on course. Half way to "D" my Lowrance GPS/Sonar unit shut down and through numerous attempts it refused to stay on throughout the day. Having fished Lake Erie for over 50 years I don't need GPS or Sonar to find my way around, especially the western basin. Seeing many boats working near "E" can I altered course and in a short time set my lines about a half mile west of "E" and headed north. DDRR Cheap Sunglasses 80' back on a flat line at 1.7 mph took the first fish. DHJ12 Pink Crystal Clown 64' off a Church Walleye board took the second. DDRR Eriedescent 76' off the board took the third. Then the LemonLime Perfect 10 took over capturing 3 fish including a prize 30 incher followed by one measuring 27 1/2 inches. All these were taken back 64' off the Walleye board. The above presentations recycled throughout the day as we circled the area never getting east of "E" can or north of "D" can as we gathered our limit of 12 fat eyes. Lost 3 eyes coming to the boat which by the way never varied from 1.7 mph. Oh, by the way, just before we caught our last fish, I was jiggling some wires and the Lowrance came back to life. Shake Down over. LOL

Post Thanks / Like

I am glad everything finally came together for you and you were blessed with a great limit.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice job. I'm new to the site and to fishing out of Port Clinton. I fished once last year out of Turtle Creek, but am planning on launching out of Catawba this weekend, Where are the cans? Where are D and E cans? What direction do I head from the launch? Any help would be appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Nothing like the first trip of the year! Good to hear you made it work even with the problems. Thank you for the report!

Post Thanks / Like

My Lowrance GPS/Sonar unit also decided that the Catawba Island launch ramp was a good spot to crap out.I too know the Western Basin well so we headed out to the cans and set our lines.Then after we had caught a couple of fish it decided to end its strike and turn on.Didn't really need the sonar but the GPS was nice to keep hitting the same lines as before.Mine is a 8 year old unit and I think it might be time to hit Cabelas for a new one.