boat trouble boat trouble boat trouble boat trouble

Thread: boat trouble

Default boat trouble

Hey I had to pull my boat this weekend I think my gimble bearing is bad. I have a merc alpha1 outdrive. Does anyone know about what it will cost to have it replaced. The noise is there whether in gear or not so I don't think its the out drive.

The bearing will cost $75.00 to $100.00 for the part with the final price around $350.00 to $450.00 with most of the cost being labor . With that labor cost in mind it may pay you to spend a little more and replace the Bellows/boots if they are getting into their third year or more, other wise you may end up spending that same amount of labor again to relace those items a short while later.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

When I had an Alpha 1 I did mine myself. It's not a bad job and there are many youtube videos available. Like Wakina said, if you are in there go ahead and replace the bellows/boots. The price for the parts is insignificant.
    Last edited by ReelTime; 04-13-2015 at 02:41 PM.
    "ReelTime"
    Kencraft Challenger 215

thanks for the replies. I'm having someone fix it for me basically they have a flat fee to take it apart and put back together. So to replace the worn items they just charge for the parts so I'm probably going to have a lot of the items replaced. They think it might be the outdrive well see. The outdrive is 2 years old that I replaced my self with one of those se drives. It has a 3 year warranty, I really don't think its bad when I pulled the boat it wasn't even warm. I've pretty much been a do it yourselfer all my life but sometimes its nice to have someone else do the work. I should know in the next couple of days whats wrong with it. My boat is 9 years old and has about 900 hours on it.

well the jury is out and I wore out another outdrive, the upper half is bad just like the last one. The merc lasted 6 years and the SEI lasted 2 years but its still under warranty and will be fixed for free. I guess I must fish too much.

are you getting your lower units full of grease? the only time I've lost the upper gears my lower unit was low on grease.

well the first drive I had Happy days service my outdrive every year. The newer on I did myself every year. I fill from the bottom until oil comes out the top hole. My boat also has the gravity feed feature where there is a resivor of oil in the engine compartment that gravity feeds lube into the unit if it gets low. I personally think that the alpha1 is undersized for my 26 foot boat. The drive that is 2 years old has about 400 hours on it. For not being a charter captain I use my boat a lot. I did add a drive shower to the newer unit to help keep it running cooler apparently it didn't help.

Quote Originally Posted by penalty box View Post
    well the first drive I had Happy days service my outdrive every year. The newer on I did myself every year. I fill from the bottom until oil comes out the top hole. My boat also has the gravity feed feature where there is a resivor of oil in the engine compartment that gravity feeds lube into the unit if it gets low. I personally think that the alpha1 is undersized for my 26 foot boat. The drive that is 2 years old has about 400 hours on it. For not being a charter captain I use my boat a lot. I did add a drive shower to the newer unit to help keep it running cooler apparently it didn't help.
    it was just a thought anyway. just glad you have the 3 yr no fault warranty on that outdrive. you could have just got a bad one from the factory. I just put a new fuel pump on my car and headed to fl and made it 750 miles and the new pump went bad. had to have a new pitman arm and idler arm replaced while down there. it still had about 1/4 turn play in the steering wheel. got to checking the front end and the new pitman arm was bad. I replaced it and now the front end is good. just because something is new doesn't really mean its right.