Need some help Need some help Need some help Need some help
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Need some help

Post Thanks / Like

Default Need some help

Hey everyone. My names brad I'm 27 just boat my first boat late last summer. This is the first spring i have had a boat as well as my first spring fishing lake erie. I got a 17' old goat of a boat (Hewes Tarpon) and an even older 1972 130hp evenrude starflight motor on it. Regardless to get to the point I put my boat in at Cullens Park where should I go to find the fish??? Any advice would go a long way. Thanks! Ps. If you know of anyone selling a decent gps or fish finder I am in the market.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the site Brad. I have not fished your area in quite some time but at times the Turtle Island area was a good spot but most fishing had been done east of the boating channel to the Toledo Harbor Lt. on up to the Turn Around Buoy to the Gravel Pit
    area. There are probably many more areas all the way east to Maumee St. Park for sure. I think there are some regulations in effect
    for that area about single hook jigs until the first of May, they are the same regs. applied for the Maumee River during the run.
    I'm sure a good handheld gps could be a good starting place. I carry a Garmin 76 that atleast 13 yrs. old and has been updated many times over and still works great. I am sure someone here will steer you in the right direction or maybe have something to part
    with. I hope to have been some help.

Gene

Post Thanks / Like

Try basspro for fish finder. For under 200 you can get a Lowrance fish/gps. I purchased one last year for my boat and worked great. I just got my 1st boat last summer and can not wait for my 1st time out in spring to catch these walleye. Last summer/fall I only perch fished. 90% of the time I was in gravel pit which is a few miles north of the water intake. Normally look for other boats in that area to find it if your unsure. I fished the other 10% out by shipping channel. Good luck with your boay

Post Thanks / Like

If you need gps on the cheap....do you have a smart phone? Navionics has an app, i think it was around 10 bucks when i bought it.

Post Thanks / Like

For the jig bite ,there is an area the locals call the Humps, that would be a short run from Cullens Park
    basically line up between the Toledo light house and Monroe stacks. the area starting approx. 1/2 mile from light house working toward monroe for about another mile { depending on wind direction } just look for the boats
    Captain Don M.
    B.G./Marblehead

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Brad,

I'm Karl, just joined Walleye and saw your post where you mentioned your 17' Hewes Tarpon. I was recently given my dads 17' Hewes Tarpon with a '72 Johnson 85HP on it and I'm struggling trying to find anyone else that has this boat that could shed any light on them for me.

I think mine is a 1970 but I don't know or know where (if on the boat) to look, there's also no capacity plate. Mine hasn't been in the water in about 28-30 years and I'm looking to get a new deck, new stringers, gel coat, motor, windshield, fuel tank(s), throttle, gauges, and minor hardware.

Do you have an historical information, specs, user manual, wiring diagrams, or photographs of your Tarpon you could share with me to help me get going and restore my Tarpon?

I'm trying to get it back to as close to original as possible. If so please let me know, you can also send anything to my email, [email protected]. Thanks and looking forward to hearing from you!

-Karl-