April 18, 2015   7:00am  First day out possible April 18, 2015   7:00am  First day out possible April 18, 2015   7:00am  First day out possible April 18, 2015   7:00am  First day out possible
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default April 18, 2015 7:00am First day out possible

Reading all of your reports of fish caught and the numbers of fish is driving me insane with envey. I want Walleye in my boat and on my table. This winter was harsh, and I need a couple fillets to ease the suffering of working out in it all season. Any helpful suggestions for a new comer to the open water scene of Erie would be appreciated. Good Luck one and all.

Post Thanks / Like

Shelby, let me be the first to say "Welcome Aboard" . There are a lot of places to set in west of Davis Besse on Rt.2 with close access to the reefs. Try Magee's East, Fenwick, Turtle Creek, and Wild Wings with plenty of bait shops available within a short drive.
    Jigging and trolling has been the best. Jigging with 3/4 to 1 oz. jigs in purple, green, and some black hair jigs some tipped with shiners and maybe without (cya take some shiners). Trolling with Rapala DHJ-12's, Smthwick's Perfect 10's, and Reef Runner 800's.
    Watch here for current areas for good catches it will change almost daily. Also look at happyhookerbaitandtackle.com for his post
    on reported areas and some weather conditions. Good luck to you also.

Gene

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thanks Gene..Turtle Creek was the spot.

Hey Gene.., thanks for the great advise.. Turtle Creek area was where I was headed. Need bait shop close if you know of one. I have some viper spoons, lot of jigs, crawler harnesses, bottom bouncers. I have 30" drift bags(2) and planner boards(4). Have 30 quart minnow cooler by Engel. Trolling rods with counter reels. I hope I have all I need. All on a 1971 Starcraft Holiday (Alum)18ft.

Post Thanks / Like

Your welcome Jon. Bait can be found at Magee's East, Happy Hooker, and St. Claire's Mobile Bait (behind the Wild Wings gas station)
    all are on Rt.2 and just a few miles east on Rt.2 are the Bait Barn and A'n'J's also. It looks like your pretty well set.

Gene

Post Thanks / Like

PM sent

Gene