Jigging bite?? Jigging bite?? Jigging bite?? Jigging bite??
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jigging bite??

Default Jigging bite??

I had my first experience out on Erie early this year, and was so impressed, not only by the fishing, but also the people... and how nice everyone was. So many guys talked about how fun the early spring jigging bite was.

??? Where to get started. Not looking for spots, but a little help with the thought process of do you have to look to the rivers mouths, or some of the areas west of the islands? This is an all different body of water for me, so hoping to learn a little, and make it out for a couple days mid-April.

I'll soak up any conversation you guys are willing to share. I already know to look carefully at the weather, as I'll be in a small boat (17') compared to most.

Quote Originally Posted by cycleguy View Post
    I had my first experience out on Erie early this year, and was so impressed, not only by the fishing, but also the people... and how nice everyone was. So many guys talked about how fun the early spring jigging bite was.

??? Where to get started. Not looking for spots, but a little help with the thought process of do you have to look to the rivers mouths, or some of the areas west of the islands? This is an all different body of water for me, so hoping to learn a little, and make it out for a couple days mid-April.

I'll soak up any conversation you guys are willing to share. I already know to look carefully at the weather, as I'll be in a small boat (17') compared to most.

You can leave out of any of the marinas on Turtle Creek or from Wildwings both are west of Davis Bessie. The bite can be from a few hundred feet offshore once you enter into the lake to a mile or more. Both are doable in a good seaworthy 17 foot boat. The local bait stores will be able to get you set up with the proper wt and color hair jigs typically used for the jig bite! Minnows also if needed. No secret spots as anywhere can be as good or as bad as any other spot. This is the walleyes version of spring break except all the walleye girls already have their bikini's off!
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

Quote Originally Posted by wakina View Post
    This is the walleyes version of spring break except all the walleye girls already have their bikini's off!

This is, without a doubt, my all-time favorite message board post. Keep it coming and I hope you're feeling better!

Thumbs up

That is definately good stuff.

Wakina hit the nail on the head. It is what it is & they are where they are. No need to run out to rougher water. From 5' to 17' usually holds the fish. Wind direction controls where ya go. Only in the sense that if we get a SW or S wind ya may want to launch out of Turtle Creek area (better protected/less influenced) vs the Bay. No need to go out to reefs unless ya want to. I spend the majority of my time between Little Cedar Point & Wild Wings in 5' to 17'. 3/4 oz jigs, but ask bait store. Get a couple of each color & size and you will discover your personal preference.

Good Luck & Good Fishing

Wakina hit the nail on the head. It is what it is & they are where they are. No need to run out to rougher water. From 5' to 17' usually holds the fish. Wind direction controls where ya go. Only in the sense that if we get a SW or S wind ya may want to launch out of Turtle Creek area (better protected/less influenced) vs the Bay. No need to go out to reefs unless ya want to. I spend the majority of my time between Little Cedar Point & Wild Wings in 5' to 17'. 3/4 oz jigs, but ask bait store. Get a couple of each color & size and you will discover your personal preference.

Good Luck & Good Fishing

The area right around K can has never let me down. Just vary your jigging until you figure out what they want. Some days they want it hopping other days dragging is best, some days snap jigging, etc. Like these guys said, too, I've caught them in as shallow as 6' of water.
    Captain Greg
    Walleye2go Sportfishing

Ya'll think they'll be up in the traditional jigging areas this weekend ? Buddies wanna troll but I'm hoping to do some jigging.

hey fellas, how bout the nite jig bite? probably the best time ever is drifting the reef at nite casting and popping, 6-7 fow unbelievable if ya ever want to try it its a blast!

So cool... thank you all for the feedback.

?? With the water being as clear as it seems to be here, can you have a decent chance fishing all day, or is it a AM and PM sort of bite? Coming from a long ways off, so once there, I basically live on the water to get the most of it. So much so that if there was a crappie or perch bite, I'd do that to fill out the day.

Thank you again! Hopefully I can make it happen April 7-10th.