Best breading/oil Best breading/oil Best breading/oil Best breading/oil
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I have over 30 recipes but I'll only throw a few at you. My favorite is thin filets about 6 inches long dipped in Kikkoman Tempura batter and fried in canola oil. Crispy on the outside, tender on the inside. On occasion I'll splash on some apple cider vinegar. My grandkids love walleye nuggets fixed in different ways. Dip one inch cubes (dried) in egg wash, shake them in a quart size ziplock bag half filled with a mixture of Chezzit cracker crumbs and instant mashed potato flacks. Then drop them carefully into hot canola oil for a few minutes and they will start to float when they are done. Drain the nuggets on a paper towel, salt to taste and serve. This works great for filets also. The grandkids call them goldfish and I cannot cook them fast enough.

You can find Andy's at Kroger stores. They carry it in the meat department at the stores I have been in. I vote Andy's for simplicity and flavor. They are all good

50/50 mix of Andys red & Youngs..lightly breaded and fried in peanut oil

Wow! Lots of good recipes! I'm going to have to print this thread for the record! With Lake Erie's larger walleye, I have been filleting the filet reducing the maximum thickness to 3/4" or so. This seems to help ensure cooking consistency throughout and lets the shake recipe be a bit more prominent. We have been using "Slap Ya Mama Cajun Fry Fry" by Walker & Son's. My brother-in-law gave me a couple boxes when he returned from Louisiana. I haven't had to buy any yet but see it can be purchased on line. My wife's aunt's recipe won a blind taste test during one of our fish fry's. Mix 1/2 Fryin' Magic and 1/2 Instant Pancake Mix for the shake. Shake the fish once, let sit for 5 mn and then shake again before frying at ~ 360 degrees. My wife bought a dedicated deep fry for $17 from Aldes a couple years ago and that's been the best investment.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Ed View Post
    I have over 30 recipes but I'll only throw a few at you. My favorite is thin filets about 6 inches long dipped in Kikkoman Tempura batter and fried in canola oil. Crispy on the outside, tender on the inside.
    Dr. Ed. I have to agree with you. We have used Drake's mix for over 40 years in my family and it is still a close favorite. A few years ago I decided to "brake the mold" and try some Tempura batter... Everyone was skeptical, but now it gets fixed both ways. I like the Tempura batter a little better myself, but Drake's is right there with it.

With Walleye and Perch I don't like to season it with anything other than salt & pepper so the light batters are what I stick with. We have made it with cajun and different seasoned batters and breadings, but the Drake's battered fried in peanut oil with a little salt always tends to be gone and get the best remarks.

It really is a personal preference as to if you want to have a light breading and taste the walleye, or taste the breading... Some people marinade ribeye steaks and then smother them in A1 sauce... which is fine. I like mine Med. Rare with a little salt & pepper only. I think fish is the same thing.

-Matt

I threatened to disown my son-in-law out in Colorado when I found out he was hitting my beautiful walleye filets with cajun crap. Catfish or bass maybe but not the golden walleye I risked my life to bring to the table. They deserve a little more respect. (Can I hear a little Amen?)

Half Fish Crisp and Half Italian bread crumbs for the batter. The only oil my fish EVER see is coconut oil, once you have fish fried in it you want want it any other way

first time I ate walleye 40 years ago it was drakes mixed with stale beer sticks better without the carbonation dry the fillets by lining them on a cookie sheet lined with paper towels then lay perch on the towels another layer of towels then fillets etc. still taste great that way and easy for a crowd of hungry friends and family. we like peanut oil but we use all oils due to the expense of peanut oil. then no 2 recipe is just as good but a lot more work so I usually use this for me wife and kids take Kroger brand wheat crackers put in food processor until very fine almost a powder mix with garlic powder and lawrys season salt and black pepper dredge in flower then egg beaters or scramble eggs until mixed well then dredge in cracker crumb mixture fry in cast iron skillet with real lard until golden brown. this is great the fillets dont curl up and stay as big as when you put them in the skillet got this recipe from a buddy who owened a resturant and they look great and big on the plate. served with steak fries and homemade cole slaw which is a head of grated cabbage 1 carrot hellmans mayo teaspoon of sugar and apple cider vinegar to taste with a tomatoe cut up in small cubes and salt and pepper to taste mix well and chill for a couple hours. served with homemade tartar sauce which is cup of hellmans, pickle relish, fresh lemon zest, just a little it can get strong with just enough yellow musterd to change color. in cracker crumbs it taste great cold and on buns with a slice of cheese and tarter sauce with home made hot fresh potatoe chips which is thin sliced potatoes in deep fryer secret is to dont overload chips in fryer and serve with pickles. and slaw a lot of people will say tomatoes in cole slaw but try it tomatoes and mayo make a great sandwich everybody likes it and i get a lot of request to make my slaw now im hungry for a fish dinner

Dip fish in egg wash , shake in bag of Ritz cracker crumbs . fry

Quote Originally Posted by half pole View Post
    Dip fish in egg wash , shake in bag of Ritz cracker crumbs . fry
    If any of you fish for trout or salmon, this is the way to fry that. Cut in finger size strips (ladies fingers or a mans pinkie). Not those sausage fingers like most old fisherman have. Coat like above and fry in butter in a pan. Melts in your mouth. I've changed many peoples minds who've said they don't like salmon or steelhead with this recipe.