Big Boards vs Inline Planer Boards Big Boards vs Inline Planer Boards Big Boards vs Inline Planer Boards Big Boards vs Inline Planer Boards
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Big Boards vs Inline Planer Boards

I'm not looking to start a war, but rather seeking experienced opinions on both methods. I am fairly new to trolling lake Erie. The past 2 years I trolled 4-5 lines with Dipsy Divers. I am looking to gain more horizontal spread of my lures in order to run more lines. I realize I am going to have to switch to one of the two planer board methods to get the horizontal spread I am seeking.

Please provide some feedback on which system you prefer and why. If it helps, I will be pulling mostly cranks and spoons with my 30' Monterey.

I personally prefer my planer board system for a couple reasons. The pro's are you can spread it out all ya want, but your not going to get 3 out each side. One side can have 3 or 4 poles but the other will do 2. Just the way the waves push ya around. Too much hassle otherwise. The key IMHO is never go straight. Swing the baits. Give & Take. Also ya don't need steel rod holders because the stress is on the release & board line. Myself? I run 2 tru trip jets off back 10/20, 20/30, 20/20 with spoons. Cranks out the side & sometimes 4 oz bottom bouncers w/ 3' crawler harnesses off the front sides. Just hit bottom, give it 5-8' extra & stick it in holder. Tends to catch larger eyes?????

Good Luck & Good Fishing

I have used both planer boards. Inlines are good for small boats. Where there is only 2-3 guys. They don't run very well in ruff waters. You fight the board and fish when reeling in. I personally think there slower to deploy lines. Now big boards. Need room for hardware to run them, and storage. They can be ran In pretty ruff waters. Run a lot more lines per side. Faster deploying lines. Not fighting anything but fish when reeling in. Just my opinion.

You really should ride/fish with a couple folks or charters to see what it requires to run each method. Then you will have a better idea what YOU would like to spend time learning. I rarely have to run 12 lines, but I can and it is not a problem using 10 inline boards and 2 bouncers off the corners. But I also spend a lot more time pulling meat than cranks or spoons so I'm running under 1.5 MPH. Your probably going to require running bags to stay off from idle and have more thrust/steering control. Big boards work fine for that, as do inlines.
    I can only hope I have earned the freedom that has been given me.

i use both types and i have to say, the big boards suit me better than the singles. i usually have two or more guys or gals with me. once set up, the big boards are really easy and i run them 80-100 feet out the side......jmo....good luck

I have been using the Church Walleye boards for years now pulling just about every presentation in all kinds of waves without any trouble. If you go back to last summer and read my threads I can put you right on the fish and tell you how I caught them. I cannot wait to start posting again. Ice Ice Go Away......(Stay Safe)

Good to hear from you again Dr Ed. Alexandra is looking forward to seeing you on the water again this year.

Ok I'm going to invest and try in-line planers this year since my dipseys and downriggers dont seem to be making a wide enough spread. What I want to know is Offshore or Church's and why? Which size to be most practical around the islands? I plan on buying 4 to start, but want them all the same.

I'll bet dollars to doughnuts that 4/5 responses will tell you to get offshore boards. And while I'm sure those are great, I'd recommend Church Tackle boards for one reason: The pins. Look at some YouTube videos to get some ideas, but that pin has kept me from being to turn around to retrieve a board countless times, and I don't fish but 2-4 weekend a year. I like to set my front clip up so that it will trip with a good yank on the rod so that I'm fighting the fish instead of the board.

The most important thing with the unlined I'd to make sure you don't allow any slack when you take the board off. You can rig the Church boards to trip both clips on a bite and then the value will ride all the way down to diver and you don't have to mess with it until the fish is in the cooler.

I like the Walleye boards because they're the right size and don't pull too hard to where I need heavier rods. I know some people think they don't work well with the larger divers, but I've seen just as many people say they work fine. Flags aren't exactly necessary, but they're very helpful. Just make sure to leave a little slack between the clips so that they actually work. I catch just as many fish because I think the flag is slightly tripped as I do setting the flag/board get hammered.

I'm one that prefers the Offshore, for me they ride better in the water, less diving. They are easier to see (yellow vs med orange) in rough water. I have my front clips release, the board swings around and falls out of formation. Even if the fish pulls the board under, your only fighting the fish, not the board. Make your own tattle flag set up for less than $1/board. I've run them both many times side by side on the same boat. Like Ford/Chevy, I just prefer the Offshore.
    I can only hope I have earned the freedom that has been given me.