dippsy diver dippsy diver dippsy diver dippsy diver

Thread: dippsy diver

Default dippsy diver

I am a drifter but this year I will start to troll whit is better dippsydiver or jetdivers. Thanks.

That depends if you think chocolate or vanilla is better. In other words, your gonna get a lot of different opinions on this. Really depends on what your doing with them. Each has a place. I'm not the one to ask what that place is though. I'm sure some of the expert trollers on here will chime in.

I agree with you Jawbreaker. I have been using inline boards for the last 12 years instead of the big mast trolling boards. And been pretty successful with them. Some trollers use dipsey divers instead of jet divers it is what you are confident with and what your plans are.

Dipsy's you run without planer boards. Your rod holders have to be able to support more load as the dipsy's pull a lot more than any other method. Most suggest to not use anything less than quality tube mounts. Dipsy's you set how far out they can run by the offset keel/numbers. Your mostly limited to 3 rods/side, not including bouncers off the back corners. Dispy's run better at higher than 1 MPH speeds. Dipsy's will require rods/line capable of handling the extra pull of dipsy's.
    Jets if running more than a couple lines would require inline boards. Jets float where dipsy's sink when stalling the boat or doing hard turns. You can run lighter rods/line if not running dipsy's.
    If you purchase inline boards, you will have more options for different speeds/lures IMHO. With the inline boards you can run them as close or as far as you like from the boat. Also it is very possible to run 5 boards per side once you learn how. And 2 bouncers off the back corners. Inline boards you can run from .6MPH on up.
    Like mentioned, it is a Ford/Chevy choice. Depending on where your fishing, the Western Basin for example, you could run mini disks behind inline boards, and or jets and or cranks or harnesses. Using a different option on each side of the boat. I have friends that will only fish dipsy's, but even more who don't run them much anymore. It is just another option that is available. Each take a learning curve to know if you will like that method or not.
    I can only hope I have earned the freedom that has been given me.

I started with dipseys and later switched to inline boards with tru trip divers (similar to jets but have a trip release when you hook up) and haven't looked back. You will have more options and cover more area using the divers with inline boards and like previously mentioned they float up if you have to stop.

Quote Originally Posted by ebijack View Post
    Dipsy's you run without planer boards. Your rod holders have to be able to support more load as the dipsy's pull a lot more than any other method. Most suggest to not use anything less than quality tube mounts. Dipsy's you set how far out they can run by the offset keel/numbers. Your mostly limited to 3 rods/side, not including bouncers off the back corners. Dispy's run better at higher than 1 MPH speeds. Dipsy's will require rods/line capable of handling the extra pull of dipsy's.
    Jets if running more than a couple lines would require inline boards. Jets float where dipsy's sink when stalling the boat or doing hard turns. You can run lighter rods/line if not running dipsy's.
    If you purchase inline boards, you will have more options for different speeds/lures IMHO. With the inline boards you can run them as close or as far as you like from the boat. Also it is very possible to run 5 boards per side once you learn how. And 2 bouncers off the back corners. Inline boards you can run from .6MPH on up.
    Like mentioned, it is a Ford/Chevy choice. Depending on where your fishing, the Western Basin for example, you could run mini disks behind inline boards, and or jets and or cranks or harnesses. Using a different option on each side of the boat. I have friends that will only fish dipsy's, but even more who don't run them much anymore. It is just another option that is available. Each take a learning curve to know if you will like that method or not.
    some great advice. I run the lite bite slide diver which is just a modified dipsy. I don't use the slide part of the diver but use it like a dipsy. it has a small arm on the back side of the diver so you can set the tension to the diver then set the tension to the lure dy using the lite bite arm. set it loose then when the small trash fish hits they will trip the diver. I use braid as my main line then use about a 9' seaguar 20# leader. I tie the leader to an o ring then lace the line through the back of the diver going in the light bite arm.

if you choose to use dipsy's then you can run 3 per side. you have to make sure you adjust the diver in the right position for each side of the boat. then put your front diver on 3 and say you let it out 135' to get fish. then you set the middle diver on 2 then let it out to 115' and then set your back diver on 1 then let it out 95'. you need the 20' space to keep your lines apart. when your letting one of your outside lines back out you start at the far side of your boat. then when it gets out 10' past your inside rods you take the rod over the top and put it in the holder and put it in gear. then check your counter to make sure its out where you want it. I think most guys that uses dipsy's use 30# braid for there main line then use a fluro leader.

I do recommend that you take an open seat with someone that uses divers or go out on a charter that uses divers. you really should do this when using any new way of fishing. if you want to fish with boards and jet type divers you really should see how its done.

when I moved to the central basin I didn't know squat about dipsy's. but I went out on a charter 2 times and then went on my own. those 2 trips were priceless. I learned more in 2 days than I would have learned in 5 yrs on my own. if you have any questions pm me and I will try to help.

Not to change the topic....
    Anyone ever use offshore boards, and lead core line to get their depth? Say three color Suxffix lead that gets 7-7.5 feet per color at 2 mph. A leader back to your spoon, or crank as we do here? Seems easier, but maybe I'm missing something about what works on Erie (Sure I am). I experienced ice fishing here for the first time, and between the fish, and all the great people, hope to make some early season trips back in the boat.

I just use 3 oz inline weights... easy to figure depth... 50 ft back, 25 ft down (off shore boards)