Bert's Custom Tackle Bert's Custom Tackle Bert's Custom Tackle Bert's Custom Tackle
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Bert's Custom Tackle

I have 4 of the Bert's Custom Tackle Pro-Series cradle rod holders. I just love them but! I don't know if any of you fellow fishermen have or use any of these or not. If you do please check the bottom of the riser base plate for broken or loose screws, there are 3 10-24 machine screws that go thru the base plate and hold the vertical post that the rod holder sets in to the base plate which engages the track.

I don't know if the manufacturer over tightened the 3 screws or if they were loose and worked their way out and got caught in the bolt holes that attach the track to the boat. All 4 had 2 broken screws leaving only one screw to hold the vertical piece to the base. I replaced all the screws broken or not with stainless screws from my local hardware store and added a thread locker to stop them from backing out. Had the last screw broke it would have allowed my rod and reel to go over board. This post is to inform all of you that there could be a problem with yours that could ultimately spoil your day.

Here is a link so you can see the holder I am referring to.

http://www.walleyetacklestore.com/mf3387.html
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

Wow, seems you got pretty lucky if they all had 2 of the 3 screws broken and none came off the base. I'm sure it was just a matter of time. Way to keep an eye on things.

Did the screws fracture at the base of the tapered head? Typically that would be from loosing the clamp load ( not being tight, also a shear condition). Just so you know, S.S. is softer than most grade bolts and subject to fracturing. Typically S.S. is never hardened, not sure they even can. I've never been able to harden stainless. I know they would rust but if you replaced them with grade 8 screws, they would most likely never facture again. Paint the head of the screws after installing, put regular oil on the threads before installing will help stop that corrosion.
    Thanks for letting guys know to check theirs!
    I can only hope I have earned the freedom that has been given me.

Quote Originally Posted by ebijack View Post
    Did the screws fracture at the base of the tapered head? Typically that would be from loosing the clamp load ( not being tight, also a shear condition). Just so you know, S.S. is softer than most grade bolts and subject to fracturing. Typically S.S. is never hardened, not sure they even can. I've never been able to harden stainless. I know they would rust but if you replaced them with grade 8 screws, they would most likely never facture again. Paint the head of the screws after installing, put regular oil on the threads before installing will help stop that corrosion.
    Thanks for letting guys know to check theirs!
    If you use grade 8 bolts and thread them into aluminum, I think you'll need to use anti-seize on them or they'll corrode with the aluminum and never come out. I'm not sure regular oil would keep that from happening.

Quote Originally Posted by Jawbreaker View Post
    If you use grade 8 bolts and thread them into aluminum, I think you'll need to use anti-seize on them or they'll corrode with the aluminum and never come out. I'm not sure regular oil would keep that from happening.
    If you could get your hands on the illegal anti-seize with the ground glass in it, then yes. Other than that, I've never experienced anti-seize stopping metal from rusting. No where hear as good as oil as the oil will actually absorb a very tiny amount into the metal. The aluminum doesn't like touching any ferrous metal. And reacts to it. But that is my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by ebijack View Post
    If you could get your hands on the illegal anti-seize with the ground glass in it, then yes. Other than that, I've never experienced anti-seize stopping metal from rusting. No where hear as good as oil as the oil will actually absorb a very tiny amount into the metal. The aluminum doesn't like touching any ferrous metal. And reacts to it. But that is my experience.
    You may be right, about it not stopping rust, but I would think the oil would be too thin to stay on the threads between the two metals when tightened, which would allow them to react and corrode. The anti seize I've always used anytime I have aluminum against steel, such as spark plugs in aluminum heads and lug nuts on aluminum rims, is almost impossible to wipe off without some kind of solvent. I'm no expert and this is just my uneducated opinion. So take it for what it's worth.

Do not use anti-seize on spark plugs, when they get hot, some of the lubricants can and do run down onto the electrodes and will foul out plugs to were they will not fire any more. I know this from my 12 + yrs doing engine development on dyno's.
    I think if you try engine oil ( used works also) on your wheel studs, you will find those will not rust and strip threads like what can happen with the anti-seize when high temps are reached. I've been using oil for 30 + yrs. Hasn't failed me yet. Where I have had problems with anti-seize. Again, that is my experience.

I will be getting some pics up of the problem as soon as I am able. In the hospital recovering from another bout with pneumonia. Hopefully another week and I will be well enough to function.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS

Get better! That is nasty stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by Jawbreaker View Post
    Wow, seems you got pretty lucky if they all had 2 of the 3 screws broken and none came off the base. I'm sure it was just a matter of time. Way to keep an eye on things.
    Don't go giving me to much credit! If I had not received some gift certificates to BPS & Amazon those old risers would still be in the track. I put an extra 17" PC of track on each gunwale so I had room for more holders. Also changed from 6" risers to 10" risers. That is how I happened to discover the problem. I think ebijack hit the nail on the head. It looked like the heads had corroded thru at the base of the head where water would be trapped.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS