Drift Sock Size? Drift Sock Size? Drift Sock Size? Drift Sock Size?

Default Drift Sock Size?

Hey guys, what size, brand, type of sea anchor do you recommend for a 16' Alum Deep V? My boat is basically a huge row boat with bench seats with a 40 hp tiller. I'd rather be to slow than to fast, being a light boat, I get pushed pretty easy. Boat/motor/gas weights 900 lbs

2 36" Lindy drift socks should do the trick

I have used a 36" also on my 16 footer. With all the recommendation by each manufacturers it can be confusing for sure. My plans are to use them on my 22, and I think I'll be ok.

Gene

Mike, I would ask you do you plan on running two or just one anchor? I would recommend 2 36" or 30" bags due to the ease that the boat will be pushed if you do want to stick with 1 bag I would say directly out the stern 1 36-48" bag would suffice. I would honestly tell you stop in the shop, Ill set ya up with a bag or two, if you want something bigger or smaller bring em back swap em out no big deal man.
    David M Miller
    Dreamcatcher Fishing Bait & Tackle
    912-433-6000
    [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by dreamcatcher View Post
    Mike, I would ask you do you plan on running two or just one anchor? I would recommend 2 36" or 30" bags due to the ease that the boat will be pushed if you do want to stick with 1 bag I would say directly out the stern 1 36-48" bag would suffice. I would honestly tell you stop in the shop, Ill set ya up with a bag or two, if you want something bigger or smaller bring em back swap em out no big deal man.
    Dave, my father and I stopped into the shop last summer and bought a bag from you (well, from your wife and daughter) with the initial intention of using it to slow is down while trolling. Were in a 21.5' fish and ski and I'd be interested in your take on what size bag we should consider to use to actually pull us at 1.5-2.2 MPH so that we can quit running the outboard at idle speed. I'm guessing the weight of the boat to be around 4-4.5k on the water. Have you got any advice on the best size bag to pull us in average current an extra .5-1 MPH?

I really don't want to mess with two bags/socks. What brand do you carry in your shop Dave? PM me with sizes/prices please.

Hoytman86, I think I understand what you are saying, what speed do you run with the bag you currently have? What size is it? I think your saying you want to bump up the RPMs on the motor and still achieve a speed of 1.5-2.2. Here is my answer I would say 2 36" bags would put you pretty close to that range you want to be in. I would say closer to a 2.0 with a picked up idle speed, obviously have some room to play there. You can adjust your speed dramatically based on how you tie the bags in the water. If you pull the end of the bag tight to the boat while you let the mouth of the bag catch water your speed will be slower than if you allow the entire bag to drag in the water. If that makes sense.. Take care hope this helps out

David
    David M Miller
    Dreamcatcher Fishing Bait & Tackle
    912-433-6000
    [email protected]

I understand you don't want the hassle of 2 bags, but 2 bags are just much better than 1 bag. 1 bag will pull your boat to one side making boat control much harder. 2 bags will pull the same on each side of your boat making boat control much better. the 2 36" bags mentioned before will work good for you. that's what I use on my 21' glass boat with a 350 votec motor. gets me down to 1.5 with no problem. for trolling I think the trolling bags are better than drift socks. I have used both.

Dave,

I'm actually wondering if you think a big bag would be able to pull the boat from the bow cleat at an adequate trolling speed. We don't really want to put a ton of hours on the motor, especially at that idle speed that's the worst on it. I believe we have a 36" bag now, can't recall for sure. It slowed the boat from 3.5-4 mph to about 1.3.