Crawler harness question Crawler harness question Crawler harness question Crawler harness question
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Crawler harness question

I fished Erie for the first time last May and will be back again this year. In hopes to be more prepared I wanted to tie a few harnesses up and get my stuff together before I leave. Last year we were running 2 blades all the time but most of what I can find looks like everyone is only running 1 blade. Is a single blade more effective? This warm weather has me wanting to get the boat out and get going, I think I might actually get out in the boat around here this week. Thanks

Michael

most of the casters use a single blade, I used mostly double willows last year trolling, then in august for some reason I started using single Colorado, they both work tie some of each.

I don't really know if 2 blades are better then 1. I fish the central basin and went out on a charter a couple of times before going on my own. he used all 2 blade harnesses on his boat. so I figured he knew more than I did so I have always used 2 blades on the central basin. but back when I fished the western basin I ran single blade harnesses off my riggers. and we did catch fish. if I were fishing the western basin now I would start with 2 blades.

I think it is more personal preference than anything else. but I catch fish with 2 blades but we fish more for bigger fish in the central basin. if your catching fish with 2 blades you can always tie up some single blades and run them on one side of the boat and see which does the best for you.

I think you will find that most will run a single blade unless they are running the willow leaf blades. In Colorado blades for trolling, sizes 5 & 6 work well and most will be running one of those sizes when using that style blade , in the hatchet or tomahawk blades size 6 seems to be the mainstay for those designed blades among Erie trollers with the size 7 occasionally. Drift and casters use smaller blades more often than not but that is all that I can add, even though I love to drift and cast and is my favorite way to fish, I do not fish that way anymore due to shoulder problems. Maybe someone will chime in as there are members here who are licensed Charter Captains that run exclusive drift and cast charter trips.

As for me when I run Colorados which is only about 5% of the time I run size 6 most often and use the size 5 only if the color that I want is not available or not on hand in size 6. I run the Hatchet blades 95% of the time and most often in size 6 with the size 7 added now and then just to mix it up a little. I use the Doc Shelton design hatchet blades and the even numbered blades spin in the opposite direction of the odd numbered blades. they are stamped with the curve in opposite directions which makes them spin in opposite directions.
    Last edited by wakina; 03-16-2015 at 10:21 PM. Reason: spelling
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

Quote Originally Posted by sherman51 View Post
    I don't really know if 2 blades are better then 1. I fish the central basin and went out on a charter a couple of times before going on my own. he used all 2 blade harnesses on his boat. so I figured he knew more than I did so I have always used 2 blades on the central basin. but back when I fished the western basin I ran single blade harnesses off my riggers. and we did catch fish. if I were fishing the western basin now I would start with 2 blades.

I think it is more personal preference than anything else. but I catch fish with 2 blades but we fish more for bigger fish in the central basin. if your catching fish with 2 blades you can always tie up some single blades and run them on one side of the boat and see which does the best for you.
    I neglected to say that I only fish in the Western Basin and the information that I provided should be considered as such.

If you tie up singles vs doubles to compare, then it would be my opinion that you should use the same size and color blade on both the single an the double or at the very least the same color patterns if a smaller blade would be used on the double. I would run them on the same side of the boat because some days due to current, winds other unknown factors only one side of the boat will produce fish and the other side will not so you may get a false comparison between the 2.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

Quote Originally Posted by wakina View Post
    I neglected to say that I only fish in the Western Basin and the information that I provided should be considered as such.

If you tie up singles vs doubles to compare, then it would be my opinion that you should use the same size and color blade on both the single an the double or at the very least the same color patterns if a smaller blade would be used on the double. I would run them on the same side of the boat because some days due to current, winds other unknown factors only one side of the boat will produce fish and the other side will not so you may get a false comparison between the 2.
    You made a good point about running them on the same side of the boat for the reasons you stated.....I was thinking the same thing!

I've yet to read a post from Wakina that did not make a good point. Hes the man!
    I'm gonna miss her.... ....Maybe not so much, now that she left

2016 Tracker Targa V18 w/t
    150 Mercury 4 stroke
    9.9 Mercury 4 stroke kicker

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKraft View Post
    I've yet to read a post from Wakina that did not make a good point. Hes the man!
    Seconded! Keep up the good work, Wakina!

Crawler harness question-blades-jpg Here is my arsenal for this year.

Lots of good advice, thanks for the help. I'll keep on eye on things to see how it's going before I come out there this may. Daddyhawgs, did you paint them yourself? I haven't seen some of those combinations before. Looks like I need to get some of those tomahawk style blades also, at least I haven't placed my order yet.