Crawler harness question Crawler harness question Crawler harness question Crawler harness question
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by ebijack View Post
    For me, I will state that over the years making short wire and coated twisted wire harnesses. When catching larger fish, they end up bending the wire/twisted cable during the heavy head shakes. I have not able to get the harness to ever run straight again and have to remake the harness. This is why after years of trying the wire/cable, I make my harnesses using #17 mono. I know others on here prefer the wire or cable. But for me it turns into a PIA and for me is much easier to re-make a mono harness than a wire or cable harness.
    Well quit catching those big fish! I tried mono and fluorocarbon and while I do agree they're easier to make, I get tired of having to change then after every damn fish. White bass trash them more than the eyes do and I catch a lot more of those little suckers than I do huge eyes. The cable is my preference, but I do agree it's a pain when it gets mangled.

Quote Originally Posted by ebijack View Post
    For me, I will state that over the years making short wire and coated twisted wire harnesses. When catching larger fish, they end up bending the wire/twisted cable during the heavy head shakes. I have not able to get the harness to ever run straight again and have to remake the harness. This is why after years of trying the wire/cable, I make my harnesses using #17 mono. I know others on here prefer the wire or cable. But for me it turns into a PIA and for me is much easier to re-make a mono harness than a wire or cable harness.
    I have tried all of the different combo's for leader material, mono, fluro and coated stranded wire. I gave up on the coated wire for the very reasons that you described and the mono/fluro for the reasons that Hoytman86 described.

I now make all of my spinners/harnesses on solid wire and add a short snell(just long enough to hold the 2 hooks and snap) that I tie using the coated wire. The snell can be changed out as quick as changing blades. The main body of the harness(Blade, beads and wire) are almost indestructible by any fish that you would encounter while fishing for walleyes on Erie. They will bend but they can be straightened by hand and still work and catch fish if the blade can spin freely. It also makes storing them easier without having all of those pool noodles and hooks exposed while waiting their turn to get wet. If I need/want to change blades I just change the whole harness which take even less time than changing the blade on a quick change clevis. I run them on a 60" leader, the same leader that I run spoons on, I can just unpin the harness and add a spoon if I so desire. I then place the harness in its storage compartment and done. No more wrapping leaders or pool noodles for me, no more bulky storage containers for them either.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

I'd be interested to see your harnesses, Wakina. I enjoy trying harnesses, just don't enjoy doing it when I MUST because all of mine are shot. I'm all for trying to improve my arsenal and making things quicker on the fly.

This is one of my old versions using #30 test cable. Could not find other photos. I also use arms length leaders. Even my spoon harnesses, got tired of the wires/cable getting bent. So I switched back to using mono.

I can only hope I have earned the freedom that has been given me.

for casting try white beads with white blade with just a couple gold beads mixed in single hook works well for me most days

Quote Originally Posted by Hoytman86 View Post
    I'd be interested to see your harnesses, Wakina. I enjoy trying harnesses, just don't enjoy doing it when I MUST because all of mine are shot. I'm all for trying to improve my arsenal and making things quicker on the fly.
    I will get some pics up as soon as I am back on my feet, recovering from pneumonia.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS

Quote Originally Posted by wakina View Post
    I will get some pics up as soon as I am back on my feet, recovering from pneumonia.
    Well get that sorted first, no rush! Plenty of time between now and the harness bite.

I hope you feel better soon wakita!!!

Crawler harness question-image-jpg

Here are some new designs for 2015

Default Harness Pics.

Laugh if you want but the walleyes like them!
    Attached Images Attached Images Crawler harness question-0330151936a-jpg 
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS