Fishing Suggestions Welcome! Fishing Suggestions Welcome! Fishing Suggestions Welcome! Fishing Suggestions Welcome!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Fishing Suggestions Welcome!

I have a dilemma. Next week I will be between jobs and have Wednesday - Friday off. I have a free pass to fish! I was hoping the Ice on Lake Erie would hold, but I'm not getting a warm and fuzzy about it. The Maumee is a possibility, but not sure if it will be low enough to fish, assuming the ice is even out! Any suggestions where to fish and for what? I was really hoping to put a few meals in the freezer.

Detroit river launch out of lake Erie metro park

Is the water open there? I assume you suggest fishing from shore and for Walleye?

Reside in Columbus, OH. Have place in Perrysburg, OH.

Maumee River is out for at least a week. I will post some photos in a day or two but the river is way over flood stage and full of ice chunks. There are huge ice piles at the flood line, some as big and tall as many have seen in years. There will probably be a lot of damage to traditional fishing access areas such as Buttonwood, Side Cut Park, and Orleans Park. I would guess the river fishing won't really start for two weeks assuming they don't get more significant rain. It will probably take time to clear and repair access areas once the water level does come down enough to get into those areas.

On Lake Erie there is some open water in the North West corner of the Western Basin, at the entrance of the Detroit River, but that is in Michigan Waters. The previous post mentioned a boat launch ramp in that area. Launching a boat anywhere on Lake Erie the next two weeks or more is crazy (stupid).

I am not an experienced Lake Erie ice fisherman, so the following is just based on what I've been told by the experts. Safe ice fishing is over. If the wind cooperates the next few days the ice along the southern shore - Crane Creek to Catawba and the Islands - MIGHT still be thick enough and stable enough to get out a LITTLE WAYS. The runoff from the Maumee is quickly warming up Maumee Bay and pushing currents around the Western Basin, degrading the ice. The ice surface is warming, honey combing, and pooling water. NO MATTER WHERE YOU MIGHT BE CRAZY ENOUGH TO TRY AND GO IT WILL BE DANGEROUS! If you really want to find out, call a local bait shop and ask before you go. I am pretty certain they will tell you it's very risky or they may (probably) tell you the season is over, do not go. I imagine there will be a few die-hards that will try and go out (probably walk) until the last possible moment. Remember there is a whole season of open water fishing ahead, so don't take any unnecessary risks. Good luck.
    Last edited by West Basin; 03-16-2015 at 10:37 AM. Reason: finish post

Quote Originally Posted by Luvs2Fish View Post
    Is the water open there? I assume you suggest fishing from shore and for Walleye?
    Yes open water, yes walleye. I fished from 14 ft alum had to dodge ice a few times but nothing severe. I assumed you had access to a boat when I replied the first time sorry. I launch there and run up river this time of year just in case there is a big ice flow and I have to get out quickly, I can get back to the launch before the ice blocks it.

Quote Originally Posted by eyesnperch View Post
    Yes open water, yes walleye. I fished from 14 ft alum had to dodge ice a few times but nothing severe. I assumed you had access to a boat when I replied the first time sorry. I launch there and run up river this time of year just in case there is a big ice flow and I have to get out quickly, I can get back to the launch before the ice blocks it.
    Thanks for the replies! I'm going to load up the Suburban tonight with River and Ice fishing gear. I have a 14' inflatable canoe I'll bring to enable more options and will get an early start tomorrow. I'm going to scratch that fishing itch one way or another! One bait store said some guys were still getting on yesterday, but it's getting difficult to get on the ice since the shore is warming. The winds look like they'll cooperate the next couple days.

It looks like the there's a slim chance the Maumee will cooperate. Maumee tackle has a river update blog, keep an eye on that. It appears that most of the ice is out of the river and the temp has come up a bit. The water is still high but fishing a high river from shore is still safer than going out on sketchy ice.

Good luck and don't forget the pics!

There will be full trees and lots and lots of wreckage from winter haulin ass down that river for a while. Not to sure a canoe would be a good idea. Maumee tackle claims they heard a walleye has been caught but take that with a grain of salt. There are plenty of resident wlleye in that river. Be safe and good luck.
    I'm gonna miss her.... ....Maybe not so much, now that she left

2016 Tracker Targa V18 w/t
    150 Mercury 4 stroke
    9.9 Mercury 4 stroke kicker

You're right, I should've clarified I wouldn't recommend anything except bank fishing the Maumee at this time. Rivers everywhere are pretty gnarly right now. I've seen the Ohio up higher than it is now, but I don't remember seeing that excessive water this constantly ever. Be safe.

Stay off the Maumee and the lake. Maumee is high and flowing fast with ice chunks flowing. Side Cut metro was supposed to be closed for a long time for major damage from ice flow. I would suggest and inland lake that has some open water near shore for a crappie fishing trip. The entire region has had alot of melting and some rain so all waterways are flowing heavy and very stained water.
    Jump on a plane , head for Texas to do some crappie or bass fishing before the new job.
    Good luck on the new job !
    Safety first when dealing with early season fishing and the weather !
    Capt. Greg Hoyt
    419-890-2555 cell #
    Anchors Away Marina
    [email protected]