Fishing Suggestions Welcome! Fishing Suggestions Welcome! Fishing Suggestions Welcome! Fishing Suggestions Welcome!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Fishing Suggestions Welcome!-20150319_191429_resized-jpgFishing Suggestions Welcome!-20150319_143742_resized-jpgFishing Suggestions Welcome!-20150319_144125_resized-jpg
    Well, after checking the ice conditions I decided to get the last of Lake Erie ice fishing in. I left my sled at home so I wouldn’t be tempted to buzz all over and decided to walk. Keep in mind, this wouldn’t have been possible without cooperating light winds from the West and North both days. I also pulled an inflatable canoe just in case a large crack somehow opened up. A worthy insurance policy.
    I launched at McGee Marsh and hoofed it 8 miles each day. Wednesday was long day with only a few hour’s restless sleep and 10 hours on the ice. I didn’t have a hit all day. I only marked one fish I thought may have been a walleye. I debated going out again on Thursday with an aching body and the temptation to try the Maumee.
    Thursday I hit it hard again and looked for someplace to launch closer to Turtle Creek or Wild Wings. Nothing, so I launched again at McGee. Once achieving 19 FOW (about 3.5 miles out) I hit them hard. The first 30mn was one after the other. I couldn’t hardly fish 2 rods. After the initial barrage, they started just looking and not hitting. Then they slowed to a fish an hour or so. I came off with limit and released about 5 smaller eyes. The largest is 30” followed by 29” and a couple good eaters.
    The ice conditions were changing rapidly. Wednesday was 10-15” everywhere with hard to punkie ice. Thursday was about an inch thinner, but the ice was punkie to spongy. You could tell the ice was melting faster from the bottom up with the warming river waters. I wouldn’t go out again today and expect things to break up in a few days. A good wind will get things going for soft water fishing. 3 years ago I fished the same area from the boat the last weekend of March!

Good deal. Sounds like you had it figured pretty well. I had buddies out last Saturday and I chickened out then. Well, the transom of my boat is in pieces, so I figured I'd better get busy with that so I don't miss the jig bite. Getting that limit the second day sure saved you from a sour taste in your mouth for the last ice fishing, didn't it? Put in the work, you get rewarded (usually).

Reside in Columbus, OH. Have place in Perrysburg, OH.

Wow. I don't know whether to admire Luvs2Fish or consider him nuts! :-) I think I'll go with cautious admiration. After looking at webcam photos of the ice the last few days it almost looks like his photos were taken a week ago. But I will believe him.

What was the water clarity? Still clear or had the inflow muddy water made its way that far east?

The weather forecast for Saturday night through Tuesday is for well below normal temps and calm winds. Daytime highs in the low 30s and night lows of 26 / 24. Maybe the surface 4-6 inches firms up enough to make some ice more stable, enough to walk out a ways and ice fish?

The water was still clear @ 19 FOW. I wouldn't recommend venturing out since the ice is being eroded so quickly from the bottom up. If you did, I would have a partner and a large floatation device, plenty of distance between partners and ropes tied to each. I was never worried about going through, just cracks. I would be worried about going through now. The big difference in the ice between Wed and Thurs was with the auger. Wed was mostly shavings, some chunks, water in hole about 10" down. Thursday was mostly chunks and water appeared in the hole about 4" down. The auger went through the ice almost 2x faster on Thursday. I'd hit the Maumee now and have the boat ready for the weekend after next!

Reside in Columbus, OH. Have place in Perrysburg, OH.

Now that's an informative post! It would be great if all posts were detailed and concise like that.

Details like that ("The big difference in the ice between Wed and Thurs was with the auger. Wed was mostly shavings, some chunks, water in hole about 10" down. Thursday was mostly chunks and water appeared in the hole about 4" down. The auger went through the ice almost 2x faster on Thursday.") are what we need in posts. Generalized comments that can be interpreted several ways don't help readers much. After reading that post I know exactly what the ice conditions were in that area and can make a much better decision.

Nice job Luvs2Fish!
    Last edited by West Basin; 03-22-2015 at 08:10 AM. Reason: correct spelling