Options for one last trip next weekend?  3/13-3/15 Options for one last trip next weekend?  3/13-3/15 Options for one last trip next weekend?  3/13-3/15 Options for one last trip next weekend?  3/13-3/15

Default Options for one last trip next weekend? 3/13-3/15

I know we can't predict everything but I really would love to get out next weekend. If the weather man is right, my gut feeling is that it won't be possible.Even if ice is still good I would assume that it would be impossible to travel on ice with ATVs next weekend .

I have been reading in other posts regarding possibility of ice being better around south bass/PIB area and should consider taking air boat. I know its too early to tell what the best option is. if anyone has experience with this any info is appreciated. I guess I will have to make hotel reservations and just see what everyone thinks when we get closer. Anyone know of places to stay on the island? Thanks for the help!

I'll reply to my own question! LOL. just found out that nobody is providing Air Boat service to P-I-B. I believe you can still take a plane. Anyway. If anyone has info on the ice conditions and if I should waste my time making the trip Friday please let me know! take care and be safe.

From everything I've ever read I thought that was the only option you ever had. I believe their are charters that run out of PIB using air boats but they all have you fly out to the island. Never heard of air boats ferrying people out there but I'm no expert.

The ice is good at PIB. I've got friends that just came off the ice & they're gonna fish tomorrow. Walleyes off the west shore have been scarce but starting show up. I'm going up Thursday & fish till Monday (conditions permitting). I'll try to file a report from the ice. There are about 6-8 airboats on the island. A couple of guys run freight (plywood, fuel, roof shingles, etc.) back & forth but they're done. They've hauled my quad a few times when I didn't get it over in the fall. Griffing Flying Service (419-734-5400) flies in & out 10 times a day hauling islanders, groceries, schoolteachers, fisherman, etc. Try Rob & Marie at the Black Squirrel B&B (419-285-7181). It right next to the airstrip. Cozy old farmhouse. Clean rooms & good breakfast. Check with guide Bud Gehring (419-261-0165). He's got a nose for fish but he might have closed shop for the season. Good luck!