Sputnik Perch Sputnik Perch Sputnik Perch Sputnik Perch
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Sputnik Perch

Ida_Fisherman Guest

Default Sputnik Perch

Fished 1 buoy north of Sputnik 11 a.m.-5 p.m. Got 27 keepers. Lots of throwbacks. Almost constant action until a frieghter that was driving outside the shipping channel dang near ran us over. A close call I dont want to re-live. The fish pretty much shut off after that.

Post Thanks / Like

Was the ship outside of the shipping channel? If so, report him to the coast guard. I'm sure you weren't anchored in the channel as it is illegal (I believe). I would report the ship, date and time. Just my 2 cents. Good luck and stay safe out there.
    Last edited by spoontang; 09-09-2008 at 07:35 PM. Reason: correction

Ida_Fisherman Guest

We were about 200 yards outside the buoy in about 30 ft. of water. The ship drove with the red buoy on his left, which I believe is outside the channel. Red, Right, Return. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Post Thanks / Like

Red right return is absolutely correct! Did you get any information on the ship?

Ida_Fisherman Guest

It was the Edmund H Gott and it was flying an American flag. They were yelling at us to get out of the shipping channel and some of the words they used weren't very polite. Who would I contact?

Post Thanks / Like

I would follow up with the nearest branch of the US Coast Guard and make a report and complaint minimally for their conduct and primarilly for the near miss even if you were near the channel. The Coast Guard will take it seriously and follow up. You might consider making a report via email.

I just get fed up with people who would rather have a close call and scream and yell than steer clear. It happens too often and people die as a result. It is often large ships and commercial fishing vessels. Hold them accountable! They shouldn't be out there if that's how they are going to captain.

I recently had an incident in return from a Wheatley steelhead trip while crossing the Ambassador Bridge returning to the US. My guests and I had a customs officer with a big chip on his shoulder. He asked us about dropping drugs in the Detroit River, prescription drugs, my license plate # at least 5 times, and many other nonsense questions. My passenger and long time friend was disgusted with his conduct and the near 2 hour delay for no reason. He emailed a letter with details to US Customs and within 20 minutes, his phone was ringing. The Customs manager in Detroit called for more detail. 5 minutes later, he got a call from Washington. We were told the Officer in question would be reprimanded. Bottom line, we should have never been treated that way and we were given a direct line to call if we ever have problems again.

Ida_Fisherman Guest

Thanks for all your help. I guess he's just lucky he was empty or he probable would have run aground.