Equipment failure!! Equipment failure!! Equipment failure!! Equipment failure!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Equipment failure!!

Just got an email from a friend that is fishing in the Florida Keys this winter. He said that he lost 2 Tekota Reels due to the rods they were mounted on snapping at the end of the blank which terminated just below the reel seat and went over board.

He said that upon inspection 4 other rods were cracked in the same area of the handle. 2 of the rods had never been used anywhere except lake Erie. Needless to say he has bought new rods with the blank thru the handle design to make them more trust worthy.

This is just a heads up so maybe you should inspect your setups for problems and if you are buying new rods maybe you should consider the blank thru the handle design.

This is not intended to start a big debate about rods but is put out here as a heads up. I would not want to see anyone lose a good reel because the rod handle broke. I left the name & make of the rod out of the post but will give it to you if you PM me.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

Speaking of rods...
    Since I'm going to start trolling this year, I'll need to start gathering the gear, so I marched into Bass Pro Shops Sunday, plastic in hand, to buy 4 Ugly Stick GX2 7 ft Med action rods. I could only find 3, so I handed them to my wife while I kept looking. She noticed that they weren't the same. Even though they were all marked alike, one was at least one and ahalf inches longer than the shortest and all 3 were different lengths. Even the eyes didn't match up when stood side by side.Ther must be some serious quality control problems in China. I put em back. I'll keep looking, and thanks to your heads up, I'll make sure the blank goes all the way to the butt of the rod. Nothing is ever easy is it. Thanks again Wakina. You are a big help.

Default Failures!!

I now have 6 rods in a shop to replace the handles as I was not satisfied with the style of grips they had triggers and fit my rod holders not to my own satisfaction. So off they went to a reputable repairman to replace grips sans the triggers and add a couple of inches in length. The seats on 2 were cracked so far. These are a popular mfg. and series of rods and are thru the grip blanks yet who knows how long they would have lasted in that condition either.

Thanks Wakina for the good info.

Gene

Defernaut,

I use Ugly Sticks exclusively on my boat... There are other rods I would use just the same but I started with them and just haven't ever wanted to switch all 18-20 rods out at once.

I have seen the kind of variation that you are talking about when looking at Ugly Stick models, but never on exactly identical models.

For a while they made several "1101" rods... They had CA 1101; BWS 1101; SCL 1101; BWD 1101; SP 1101; SPH 1101; SP 1101; CAL 1101

Then each one of those had 5 different variations of action: Example: CAL1101MH; CAL1101H: CAL1101M

I have noticed variations in the rods within the same model, but different actions (MH vs H). And definitely there are differences in a 7' BWS1101 vs 7' BWD1101.

I am not saying that was the case with your rods, but just a heads up to double check that. I have bought the same model and weight rod from multiple sources and even online over the years to replace rods and I have never had a variation like you are talking about when they are identical models and weight.

Tackle stores do a TERRIBLE job of organizing rods. They just throw them up wherever there is room I think sometimes.

I don't think anyone would mind if you let the name out of the manufacture and model of the rod. I know if it is what I'm using I want to know. I would consider it valuable information....not bashing. Facts are facts.

Default Eyezcrazy

Now I have a bash for sure.. Defernaut has learned a lesson as to when and where to shop. His choice to shop at his choice of stores was due to probably his choices of area stores and availability of the item. I am truly sorry I cannot
    sit by and watch people shop there and feel they found what they wanted when they could have gone to or made a better choice of stores. B*** P** has yet to show me anything I was looking for, staff was not informative. Prices are higher than any competitive store.

WAKINA, sorry for stealing your thread.

Gene

I am with you on that, between shots. I got bent over but its not a fishin report nor a trolling rod post so see ya.
    Betweenshots check pm
    Last edited by MasterKraft; 02-17-2015 at 01:45 PM.
    I'm gonna miss her.... ....Maybe not so much, now that she left

2016 Tracker Targa V18 w/t
    150 Mercury 4 stroke
    9.9 Mercury 4 stroke kicker

Quote Originally Posted by Eyezcrazy View Post
    I don't think anyone would mind if you let the name out of the manufacture and model of the rod. I know if it is what I'm using I want to know. I would consider it valuable information....not bashing. Facts are facts.
    Eyezcrazy:

I avoided putting this on an open public forum because I did not want to end up on the wrong end of a lawsuit with a store/business that has deep pockets. Fortunately they no longer sell this particular model but have replaced it with a supposedly better rod with a similar name.

The rods in question were this businesses mid range of quality and and very popular they sold for $79.99 everyday at there online and retail stores. Oh what the hell, They were the Fish Eagle II casting Rods sold by Cabela's, there I have said it.

If I had any Cabela's rods no matter what model and I used the rods for trolling I think I would be checking to be sure they had a blank that ran thru the handle or at the very least were not weak/worn.

BtweenShots:

LOL, The thread is still here so you did not steal it. I also promise not to call the Forum Sheriff.

Defernaut:

I just checked all of my GX2 Ugly Stiks and they all appear to be the same length. But all the same thanks for the heads up and now people should check them over to be sure before purchasing them.

It seems that everything that we buy anymore comes from China! What a shame!!~!!!!!!!
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS

Someone ought to shout out to the guy with 300 lb coolers every trip. I'm sure his rods gotta be stressed.

Shame on me, I know
    I'm gonna miss her.... ....Maybe not so much, now that she left

2016 Tracker Targa V18 w/t
    150 Mercury 4 stroke
    9.9 Mercury 4 stroke kicker

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKraft View Post
    Someone ought to shout out to the guy with 300 lb coolers every trip. I'm sure his rods gotta be stressed.

Shame on me, I know
    LOL!!

Now thats Funny!
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS