Going out of Crane Creek this weekend Going out of Crane Creek this weekend Going out of Crane Creek this weekend Going out of Crane Creek this weekend
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Going out of Crane Creek this weekend

I am hoping to be going out of Crane Creek this weekend if the weather is good. I will probably be taking my 7 yr old daughter who has been begging to go for 2 years now. I have refused to take her so far, but promised as soon as I think that the ice is "safer" and "safe enough" that I am comfortable then I would.

With the temps and the ice being what it is I think that this weekend may work.

-Matt

Post Thanks / Like

Default Just a thought

You know things can go wrong out on the big lake, perhaps a trip to an inland lake where your daughter can catch Blue Gills would work better.......?..... more safe & likely more "catching" ? Just a thought............

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thehunter View Post
    You know things can go wrong out on the big lake, perhaps a trip to an inland lake where your daughter can catch Blue Gills would work better.......?..... more safe & likely more "catching" ? Just a thought............
    Thanks. Appreciate the concern. If we go out we will have 5-6 guys go out on the sleds and set up the shanties, then we will come back in and get the wife and daughter and go back out. I realize the concern but the ice is just as dangerous for a 12-18 yr old as a 7 yr old.

But yes, East Harbor blue gill fishing is definitely on the radar.

I have a group of 5 guys on the ice today and all week going out of Crane Creek. I'll have a pretty good idea as to the ice condition to make a decision by Saturday. I have no problem driving up 4-5 hours and getting to the Lake all loaded ready to go and walking away at the put-in. No different than soft water. If there are 8' I stay in.

The guy that posted the other day about being in a wheelchair and looking for advise on taking a 15yr old girl out on the Lake next year in kayaks to fish... That scares me. I know that many people think the same thing about me taking my daughter ice fishing. I respect the Lake. I've been on it for 30+ years and believe I know very little about it and she is still teaching me.

-Matt
    Last edited by Madd Matt; 02-16-2015 at 12:13 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think worse of anyone that wants to teach their kids to enjoy the great outdoors. Like you said, as long as every precaution is taken and you use for judgement, that's the best we can do. I took my 7 year old out on the boat with us last year, he was 6 at the time. We wouldn't have done so if there were 5+ footers. There's acceptable risk, then there's flat out stupidity. Taking every precaution to insure safety and weighing that against the knowledge that some things, especially on Lake Erie, is all you can do.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree. "If" we go out we will all have floatation. My Arctic Armour suit that can float 500 lbs and her in a life jacket. We have 6 sleds and 3 shanties that we can keep heated for 8-10 hours at 80 degrees if we want to... Each sled has 50' throw ropes at the ready and each shanty has dry bags with extra clothes should someone get wet. We carry 6 waterproof two-way radios with emergency beacons and 5 GPS . All sled drivers are independent and have GPS coordinates as to the put-in with location service to get back in the event of being separated (which should never happen) or in a complete white-out or after dark retreat.

Unless someone goes through the ice and disappears under it (which can happen) our risk is managed. Not eliminated by any means, by "managed." We won't go past a shove with my daughter and we will fish close enough to others (pack) to be seen and get help.

When I'm alone or with a group of guys we will move away and trail blaze to find the fish.

I'm not defending myself as much as letting you know that I've thought through all of this and may still not go out if I'm worried about wind or ice movement. I know exactly what I would be telling someone who said that they where taking a young person out on the ice. I would be saying exactly what everyone in here is saying and thinking.

My daughter has been swimming for 4 years and is currently trying out for a swim team. With all her gear on that matters very little, I know. But she understands that she needs to stay calm and that it would be freezing cold and what she needs to do if something should happen.

So my question for those who think I'm a terrible father... What age is "appropriate?" She is probably more well prepared than a lot of 12-14 year old boys that go out with their dads without flotation, and without communication devices and on 4-wheelers with no throw ropes.

Post Thanks / Like

To each their own I say. My daughter has been ice fishing with me since she was 6. I mainly ice fish saginaw bay, which tends to be as volatile and unpredictable as lake erie. She only goes on a few trips a year, and its well after I feel comfortable being on it myself. In my opinion you are doing everything you can possibly do to mitigate hazards. Most people are lucky if they are taking 1 of the items you mentioned on the ice. I, like you, am prepared for the apocalypse when I venture on to the big water. There is no such thing as being too safe. You are more than prepared, always venture with caution and confidence and it will usually keep you in a "safe" position. :-)

Post Thanks / Like

When I was a kid, probly 6 or 7, my dad took me ice fishin on the lake and drove his truck! In no way would he have done that if he didn't feel it was safe. Long before gps and all the fancy stuff. But in todays world you can't even teach your kid how to ride a bike without a helmet and full body armor for being judged by others as a bad parent.

That is your daughter and if you deem it safe to take her than take her. She is your family and your responsibility. I myself am glad to say my dad took me perch fishing on lake erie in his old truck. Call it whatever you want but its a memory of my dad that ill never forget.

The kid in the wheelchair wanted to take someone else's daughter out in a kayak during the most dangerous time of year out there in my opinion. I don't feel like it is in no way the same situation.

You don't strike me as a dummy. I won't judge you if you take a safe trip out there with her. Childhood memories and adventures make for great stories. Good luck and be safe whatever you choose. Show us pictures of her with a 10 lber.
    I'm gonna miss her.... ....Maybe not so much, now that she left

2016 Tracker Targa V18 w/t
    150 Mercury 4 stroke
    9.9 Mercury 4 stroke kicker

Post Thanks / Like

My dad got me a .22 revolver for Christmas when I was 4 years old. Most parents won't let their 15 year old kids touch a gun, let alone understand the value of starting a kid young and teaching them the right way from the get go. To this day I am happy for the way my parents raised me because I can say from experience that I'm the safest person to be around with firearms because it was engrained in me from an early age to respect them and to handle them properly. As masterkraft said, it's your daughter and your choice, but I for one applaud your enthusiasm and willingness to take a young one fishing because the way the parents that frown upon us teaching our kids to enjoy the great outdoors because "it's dangerous" are the same ones that don't understand the value in teaching their kids to do things for themselves or giving them a video game to play for hours at a time.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys. I appreciate the input and encouragement.

-Matt