Catch & Release Catch & Release Catch & Release Catch & Release
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Catch & Release

in shallow water like the western basin or shallow lakes I believe its ok to c/r fish but when you fish the central basin its another story. the fish brought in from 50' or 60' and there eyes bulging out just don't have a very good chance of making it.

as for stopping fishing once you get your limit of eyes its the law than you can target other fish. but its not very sportsman like to keep catching more eyes.

and in my opinion a fish put in the cooler should stay there. I just don't believe a fish that's half dead should be released just so you can keep a bigger fish. and nobody should catch fish for others in his group.

Default Really

Sherman, you must fish alone a lot...I can tell you for sure that trying to catch walleye through a 10" hole on a huge chunk of ice is not easy to do... Very hard to find those active wally's sometimes...

We travel a hour and a half to fish that frozen tundra in hopes of catching a limit of walleyes for our GROUP,, not just one individual... If that's illegal than I know a lot of violators fishing everyday out there.. I will tell you I have never taken more fish than the law allows in any species so I really don't get the harm.

It might not make it right but it's reality for a majority of group fisherman out there.
    My buddy sitting 20' away from me would knock me right off my bucket if he seen me throw back a fish when I had my limit and he didn't..
    AS for being sportsman like, been one my whole life.. love to fish and hunt with my friends and family.. We have a great time out there fishing with some success and sometimes not.. if the fishing is hot and heavy than we will cull fish if possible or just c/r.. When those walleye's on fire there is no better fishing in my opinion.. Hard to get great days out there all the time, absolutely no harm to those fish when you c/r..

Eye Ripper, I certainly wouldn't post on a public forum that I participate in catching group limits. It is illegal, and they will ticket you for it if your caught. May want to pay attention to who's around you now while your fishing.

Default Group limits.

"Fish for a group/boat limit" - I believe Charter captains do all the time. Is it ok for them because the clients are paying? Like it or not , you all know its true.

Try doing down at the river once. Might cost ya a few bucks.
    I'm gonna miss her.... ....Maybe not so much, now that she left

2016 Tracker Targa V18 w/t
    150 Mercury 4 stroke
    9.9 Mercury 4 stroke kicker

Quote Originally Posted by Huskymusky669 View Post
    "Fish for a group/boat limit" - I believe Charter captains do all the time. Is it ok for them because the clients are paying? Like it or not , you all know its true.
    You are possibly right. But the difference is they don't post that stuff on an open public forum. Whether or not they post it on an open forum does not change the fact that it is illegal to take a boat limit vs an individual limit. Fishermen's warf got busted because one of their guys posted that same type of info in pubic fishing forums and the ODNR read it and investigated it by placing undercover Wildlife Officers on their boats as paying customers. The point was that if you are doing it don't draw attention to yourself and/or your group by supplying the ODNR the info they need to investigate you. That's like trying to move quietly and remain unnoticed while blowing a bugle. If while on a trolling charter each angler does not catch his own 6 fish then it is his fault for not squawking about the rod hogs who are landing more than their fare share.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

Quote Originally Posted by gregnwtf View Post
    Under no circumstances have captains classes had anything to do with fishing and fishing laws. Captains classes are about boating, navigation and safety of paying passengers on a vessel whether inspected or non-inspected. Setting the record straight.

I have never been to a captains class, and I believe you that it has to do with navigation and not fishing laws.

However, what I said is that I have talked to 3 captains that have all said that a discussion on culling was had at their class. As to it being part of the curriculum, I don't know. Maybe they all had the same instructor and maybe a couple of them where in class together. All of them are members of this forum and I am not going to name any names.

My point of the post was not to infer that it was "taught" in the curriculum as a fact. My point was that I had a discussion with a group of captains who said that it was a discussion in their class.. maybe it was over cigarettes outside... I don't know. I apologize for mentioning the class.

In the discussion they all seemed to agree that if the fish where alive, then there didn't seem to be a law against it. They all agreed that you can't throw a dead fish back, and they all agreed that with walleye unless you have a good live well then almost any fish that is in the cooler for even minutes has a small chance of survival.

Secondly. Regardless of that discussion taking place, it does not establish the law. If fishing regs are not part of the curriculum then it would appear to be either an instructors opinion or a common discussion between captains. Either way, that doesn't make it the law.

I don't cull... So I don't care. However, I am curious as to the actual legality of it. I used the fact that the captains had told me that they believe it to be allowed (none of them agreed that it was a good practice and none of them where promoting it nor doing it) as enough to peak my curiosity.

-Matt
    Last edited by Madd Matt; 02-18-2015 at 07:04 PM.

Hey Fella's. Thought I better check in. First thing, I want to thank everyone for their reply's & thoughts on my post !!! 2nd. I would like to tell you a little about myself. I am a local resident of Port Clinton, Walleye Capital of the world, and don't forget that !!! I have been fishing Lake Erie for sum 50 Yrs.
    I have fished the good years and the bad. I have worked on the head boats, and the sport boats choosing to fish for fun, not the money. I do consider myself a good fisherman and outdoorsman. I believe most people who know me would agree. I am a new member to your forum but have followed on this site for awhile, also a member on Ice Shanty & OGF.
    The reason for my post was to hopefully find out what happens to these fish that are being caught and released. Does it put undo-stress on a pre spawn fish ? Spawning starts in 45 days. Does handling, wiping the protective slime off, cause any harm ? I have over the years caught a lot of walleye that have what I call tumors or cyst, could this have anything to do with this ? If we have a biologist on board this forum, I wish he'd put his 2 cents in on this.
    This is the information I am looking for. Not to interested in catching sheepshead , after my limit !!! If anyone would like to join our round table discussion at our local watering hole come join us. Bell Mell Tavern in PC. Dang good pizza & spirits !!!
    Again Thanks to All !!!
    Knute

I have always been told them tumor like sores are injuries from the spawn. This is by no means coming from any facts, just what I have heard over the years. Whats your beef with sheephead? Lol
    I'm gonna miss her.... ....Maybe not so much, now that she left

2016 Tracker Targa V18 w/t
    150 Mercury 4 stroke
    9.9 Mercury 4 stroke kicker

Quote Originally Posted by Knute View Post
    Hey Fella's. Thought I better check in. First thing, I want to thank everyone for their reply's & thoughts on my post !!! 2nd. I would like to tell you a little about myself. I am a local resident of Port Clinton, Walleye Capital of the world, and don't forget that !!! I have been fishing Lake Erie for sum 50 Yrs.
    I have fished post good years and the bad. I have worked on the head boats, and the sport boats choosing to fish for fun, not the money. I do consider myself a good fisherman and outdoorsman. I believe most people who know me would agree. I am a new member to your forum but have followed on this site for awhile, also a member on Ice Shanty & OGF.
    The reason for my post was to hopefully find out what happens to these fish that are being caught and released. Does it put undo-stress on a pre spawn fish ? Spawning starts in 45 days. Does handling, wiping the protective slime off, cause any harm ? I have over the years caught a lot of walleye that have what I call tumors or cyst, could this have anything to do with this ? If we have a biologist on board this forum, I wish he'd put his 2 cents in on this.
    This is the information I am looking for. Not to interested in catching sheepshead , after my limit !!! If anyone would like to join our round table discussion at our local watering holye come join us. Bell Mell Tavern in PC. Dang good pizza & spirits !!!
    Again Thanks to All !!!
    Knute
    I can't find anything wrong with your watering hole, drank more than a few cold ones there myself. Is it still in the same building or have they renovated it?

In all honesty it would probably have been a better start for you on this forum had you brought those questions to our attention right from the beginning. That way we would know you weren't just trolling the members and was looking for answers to questions you had not asked. I am not being critical, just truthful.

The answers to your questions would be more readily available at the Ohio Sea Grant web site under sub forum Lake Erie Hot Topics. Like this site it is free to join and it is staffed with people that are educated in the fields your questions fall in. I would post a link but am not at home and find it to difficult to do so on my phone. Just join and post all of your concerns in the same format that you used on this site.

With all that having been said Welcome Aboard!
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip