West harbor West harbor West harbor West harbor

Thread: West harbor

Default West harbor

How is west harbor for docking a boat? I am woried if I dock there I will find my boat sitting in mud in late fall? Is that a concern at west harbor?

I was in Midway Marina from 2006-2011. Always pulled the boat by Oct 1 and never had a problem. Always had 3 feet of water min under the boat at dock and 5 feet in marina channel. Main channel always ran 6-7 feet at that time. My understanding is that west harbor is a Federal waterway and thus maintained by the government with regards to dredging the main channel. I do know some of the property's on the eastside of the channel could not dock larger boats in recent years when the water dropped. Most of the main marinas have larger boats so I assume they have good depth. Take a look at Midway, Foxhaven, Catawba moorings or gem beach. All have larger boats. I ran a Baha 299 fisherman with twin inboards and never had an issue (couldn't guess that by my screen name). The entrance to the channel by the lake was always around 14 feet but you could not stray outside the channel. Bad thing is about 25 min no wake from Midway to lake. Price of docks goes up the closer you get. Pro's: at least 5 gas docks and a number of full service marinas with both inside and outside storage. Will consider going back if I buy another boat. BAHA 299.

I've been at Gem Beach for 23 years. It's the closest marina to the lake. It's a little pricier but a straight shot to the islands and beyond. In the fall, if it blows hard enough from the west, the water will get sucked out and head to Buffalo but I've never had a problem. Lots of good fisherman at Gem. I was at Midway for 2 years but got tired of the long hike to the lake. There are a dozen good marinas in West Harbor. Check around. You'll find something.