Explain south wind Explain south wind Explain south wind Explain south wind
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Explain south wind

Being from Kentucky I have no idea how the ice works. I keep hearing about the south wind causing dangerous ice fishing. Can you explain what a south wind does.

Default south wind

The south wind can cause the ice to break off and start drifting north. Especially if there is any open water to the north. You could be stranded on the ice and not be able to get across the crack that opened up.

Do the cracks open up at any place in particular. In other words is here a safe distance to shore to stay when there is a south wind. Let me ask you this. If I drive 6 hours to fish and have a full week of south wind what are my options?

If there is a week of south wind, don't make the drive. The cracks could be all over, and just last weekend off Catawba there was one less than 100 yds off shore.

If the wind isn't cooperating you could fish East Harbor for panfish or maybe Sandusky Bay for some perch, but best to avoid the open lake.

How long does it take for the cracks to heal.

Quote Originally Posted by Mckaax View Post
    How long does it take for the cracks to heal.
    Maybe a couple hours and maybe never. If its natural movement over good ice then they usually only separate a couple feet and back in short period of time. If the wind causes major movement they could move hundreds of yards if not miles and never come back together without a good wind from the north.

The ice does not move however with every South wind . Depends on how hard it blows and the condition of the ice . Have had many S-SW winds ,even some strong ones this winter and didnt move the ice more then a foot all winter out of Catawba and Camp Perry .
    Being an old timer , I have seen a NE and NW move the ice many times as well . Those winds can raise the water levels enough to create cracks and the ice moves . Common sense is the most important thing when fishing the Lake anytime of the year .

What that doesn't tell you . is that many of the locals that knew what they were doing rode East along the crack and made it back to Crane Creek with no problems . The large part of the people that were rescued that day were on foot or out of towners . That also was late ice where there were a few very warm days followed by big S/SW winds upwards of 35 + mph that day it happened .Also the gentleman that passed away , did so from a heart attack he had before the ice even moved.

Quote Originally Posted by Lakeerieguy View Post
    What that doesn't tell you . is that many of the locals that knew what they were doing rode East along the crack and made it back to Crane Creek with no problems . The large part of the people that were rescued that day were on foot or out of towners . That also was late ice where there were a few very warm days followed by big S/SW winds upwards of 35 + mph that day it happened .Also the gentleman that passed away , did so from a heart attack he had before the ice even moved.
    Not being picky but the published date of the article in the link was 02/07/2009 so by late ice do you mean calendar wise or weather wise? I am not an ice man but am curious by nature.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip