Maumee River Walleye Run Maumee River Walleye Run Maumee River Walleye Run Maumee River Walleye Run
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Maumee River Walleye Run

Good afternoon all. I'm going to order some floating jigheads and grubs tonight, just wanted to check in first to check. I'm trying to decide on what sizes to order as well as any specific colors. I'm guessing that the bright pinks, yellows and greens are popular, but is smaller better?

Thanks in advance for any advice. You all be safe on the ice.

I have always had the best luck with the medium size head and 3" tails. If that isn't working try the smaller head and tail. Sometimes that's all they'll hit. I have been fishing that river since Janice and Gary started their bait shop Maumee bait and tackle. Good place to get heads and tails. The big heads don't seem to do as well. Don't forget orange heads charturse tails and vice versa, mix them up. One of the combo's will work for you.
    F Troop 9th Cav 1st Air Cav

Don't forget when that run is on that is when the jig bite is hot on the lake.

Thanks for the advice! I know that's when the jig bite is on. The big bite is actually the only reason I'll be up at the time. We're going on one weekend in April but going to be getting up there Friday around noon. Not much to do so I figured I'd fish, at least attempt to. I appreciate the advice. Did they ever sell that tackle shop? I remember seeing that their website said it was for sale.

No, he had a buyer a few tears back when he first decided to sell, evidently that fell through. If te water is high go to Orleans park and fish straight out from the launch. low Buttonwood up river south side. (same side as Orleans)

Bookmarked. Thanks for the advice. I owe you a cold one. I'll get some #2 and #4 with 2" & 3" grubs. I figured the 1/0 hooks with a 3-4" grub would probably be overkill and hit bottom faster.

I always use the cabelas brand floaters. They are 2 tone and fairly small heads. They work well for me. Tail colors change all the time but any of the bright colors work. I myself like using size 1 hooks but last year there were lots of smaller jacks being caught and many guys were throwing smaller jigs and tails. 16-18 inch walleyes were plentiful, good eaters. White street and orleans park early in the run, then start headin up towards jerome rd later in the run. I myself love the run, though it can be frustrating at times. I've been tying up rigs the last couple weeks. I can't wait!
    I'm gonna miss her.... ....Maybe not so much, now that she left

2016 Tracker Targa V18 w/t
    150 Mercury 4 stroke
    9.9 Mercury 4 stroke kicker

So has anyone ever used the floaters from Jann's Netcraft? They're pretty reasonably priced and a nice variety as well. 10 of them for about $3.50 I think.

I bought some from Netcraft last year and the hooks were weaker than I prefer. I'm going to stick with Northern brand jigs. Just my 2 cents. Netcraft sells lots of stuff that I do like.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKraft View Post
    I always use the cabelas brand floaters. They are 2 tone and fairly small heads. They work well for me. Tail colors change all the time but any of the bright colors work. I myself like using size 1 hooks but last year there were lots of smaller jacks being caught and many guys were throwing smaller jigs and tails. 16-18 inch walleyes were plentiful, good eaters. White street and orleans park early in the run, then start headin up towards jerome rd later in the run. I myself love the run, though it can be frustrating at times. I've been tying up rigs the last couple weeks. I can't wait!
    What kind of rigs do you use with floaters? I've only fished the Maumee once and that was with lead heads and grubs. Caught some fish, but not many legal.