Maumee River Walleye Run Maumee River Walleye Run Maumee River Walleye Run Maumee River Walleye Run
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Hoytman86 View Post
    So has anyone ever used the floaters from Jann's Netcraft? They're pretty reasonably priced and a nice variety as well. 10 of them for about $3.50 I think.
    If you fish like I do on the river 10 might last you very long. Go see Maumee tackle and buy there bulk packages of heads, (good hooks) and tails 25 count or 50 count..... last you all year or 2. good price. Jawbreaker...Orleans Park in high water 1/2-3/4 oz. with 30" leader of lighter test than main line. lower/slower water move up stream, use in line sinkers. I hope I'm helping. The river used to be a passion of mine, but I can't take the current much anymore like I could back in the day. Besides I got me a bigger boat and just run the lake these days. The river is a lot of fun, especially if your catching fish! All else fails ask Gary or his help where and how.
    F Troop 9th Cav 1st Air Cav

Not really rigs as much, maybe leaders. I use a baitcaster with 12 lb. fluoro and 8 or 10 lb leaders. I just pretie my leaders so I have less knots to tie in the river. I tie a barrel swivel to about 18 tob24 in piece of 8lb with my jighead tied on the other end. I tie a ton of them up wrapped around spinner tube holders. So I have egg sinkers and twisters, grubs in seperate pockets. Your rig, leader should break off then you just snip off your old swivel and tie a new leader on and add a tail. Saves me a lot of time.
    I'm gonna miss her.... ....Maybe not so much, now that she left

2016 Tracker Targa V18 w/t
    150 Mercury 4 stroke
    9.9 Mercury 4 stroke kicker

Sounds about the same as Steelhead fishing in the St. Joseph River here. Except we use a dropper on our sinker too.
    Thanks a lot guys.

Drop weight size and leader length are the two key variables to catching. You need just enough weight to just tap the bottom. Once you are ticking the bottom then work on leader lenght. Keep using the same size and brand heads and tails so you don't have to keep altering the weight.

Quote Originally Posted by jreed2528 View Post
    Drop weight size and leader length are the two key variables to catching. You need just enough weight to just tap the bottom. Once you are ticking the bottom then work on leader lenght. Keep using the same size and brand heads and tails so you don't have to keep altering the weight.
    Noted. That makes sense. What type of sinkers do you guys prefer? Egg? Bullet? Walking?

I only use egg sinkers. They work best for carolina rig setup

They also seem to roll along the rocky bottom better. Just my preference.
    Last edited by MasterKraft; 02-06-2015 at 01:00 PM.

150 Mercury 4 stroke

I was hoping you'd say egg sinkers, I have plenty of those. Since when have friggin lead sinkers cost $1 apiece?

Quote Originally Posted by jreed2528 View Post
    How do you know when your leader length needs to be adjusted? How can you tell if it needs to be shorter or longer?

Depends on how high the river is. Yourbweight is gonna be in contact with the bottom so your gonna want your leader to he up off the bottom righr in they're facenso they get pissed off the strike at it. I usually use 16 to 24 inches all the time. The guys fishing near you for the most part are more than happy to share their rig setup. Theres definitely a feel and technique to gettinnlegal fish. After gettin a few it gets a little familiar. You most of the time are not gonna get a slam as much as feeling dead weight. Theres no tap tap involved add the current its like hooking into a mattress at first then they will realize they're hooked and let you know. Its a blast evev though last year there were a lot of huge cats and big carp being brought in. HANG ON, them carp like to see how much line you got spooled up.

150 Mercury 4 stroke

Quote Originally Posted by Hoytman86 View Post
    I was hoping you'd say egg sinkers, I have plenty of those. Since when have friggin lead sinkers cost $1 apiece?
    Yeah, especially when you have to throw 1-1 1/2 oz to feel the bottom when that river is haulin ass

150 Mercury 4 stroke