Safe ice now? Safe ice now? Safe ice now? Safe ice now?

Thread: Safe ice now?

Default Safe ice now?

Please post any comments here if you have been out of Camp Perry/Catawba fishing since Feb. 1.
    There were many 12" open cracks with thin (4") ice at the edges last Saturday.
    (see my other posting).
    Am a little worried about the ice conditions for this weekend, wondering how things are going to be/freeze-up with all this snow.

Info would be appreciated by all, thanks in advance.

WOW..that dont tell ya $ hi&&.. Unless your standing there.

Those cracks open and close virtually every day, depending on wind direction. Only way to know for sure is to talk to someone who's there, or go look your self. I think South and Southwest are the winds you don't want. I'm no expert, but know a few who spend quite a lot of time out there. A buddy of mine posted a video on facebook of them crossing one of those cracks on a side by side Saturday night. Didn't look like much fun, unless you like being puckered up.

I'd like to see that video. What is his name so I can take a look

We were riding double on my friend's 4 wheeler but I got off before he drove over the open crack pulling two clam shelters. He was safely on the other side but now I had to get across. I walked south toward shore along the crack hoping to find a spot where the crack came together or something like that.......it didn't so I jumped across it without incident. I had a throw bag attached to my back pack I was wearing. Had I been thinking I would have tossed it across the crack to my friend, tied the other end around me and THEN jumped across the crack........... I won't forget that.
    SOUTH wind predicted for Saturday....... I notified my friends that I'm not going this weekend. Few years ago I was out of Crane Creek driving across the near shore crack & plywood all month, and even the day before the flow broke. Buds wanted me to go again that day, Saturday, with 20mph South wind......... I said nope. Glad I did...........
    Lucky