Sled vs. 4 Wheeler Sled vs. 4 Wheeler Sled vs. 4 Wheeler Sled vs. 4 Wheeler
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Sled vs. 4 Wheeler

I'm sure this has been asked here before, but I like to start new conversations.

What are the pros and cons of snowmobiles and 4 wheelers for ice fishing on the big pond? I don't have either right now, but am searching for something now.

Post Thanks / Like

In my opinion quads are the star when there is no snow on the ice. I personally run a group of sleds, mainly because they tend to handle cracks and shoves with a bit more ease. I only run fan cooled sleds on the ice, so when there is little to no snow they wont overheat. Days when the snow is slim to none I carry dish soap to lube the slides on the track. No issues thus far. Another important thing to have on the sled is some studs and a good set of carbides, especially when the snow is not of plenty. My favorite sled that I have owned in the last 10 years is my 2000 Arctic Cat Bearcat 2 up. 440 fan motor, studded, and that thing will pull like a workhorse. Hope some of this info helps you out.

Post Thanks / Like

This picture was taken today.

Obviously we just had snow. However, even on a day when there are good packed down trails (which are necessary for quads and ATVs) to get out on, if there is wind then there are drifts. Many times people go out on ATVs with no problem only to find that the snow has drifted across the paths and they have a really hard time getting back in.

As mlSmith said, when there is a crack like last week that is 12" wide of open water, the snowmobiles went right across without even thinking about it.. Those with quads had to find another way around or across... Not devestating when there is no snow, but if there had been snow and no access roads already packed down by the snowmobiles then the ATVs would have had issues.

Last year I was on a 6x6 Ranger Side by Side with chains on 2 of the rear tires and the front tires. We managed, but we struggled a lot and those on sleds had to wait for us.

In my mind, there is no question that there are days that quads will be just fine, but there will be plenty (like right now and this weekend) where you will literally be sunk and stuck. ATVs won't be going anywhere this weekend unless they stay on the beaten paths.

The other thing is that the snowmobiles are much safer in regards to not going through the ice.

I have both and use both. But if I had to chose to just have 1 or the other then it would be a sled, hands down.

-Matt
    (Photo is from 2/2/2015) the guy had to be pulled out of the snow with an airboat

Post Thanks / Like

All my ice buddies started with quads years ago but now all own sleds. I would take a sled anyday on the ice.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, that really helps a lot. Been shopping around, and have seen a lot of good prices on older sleds. ATV"s are another story. I think I'll get serious about a sled.

Post Thanks / Like

Default chumthrower

sleds for sure!

Post Thanks / Like

A polaris 550 touring 2 up is another great worker. I have a switchback 800 liquid right now , but have scratchers for it. Studs are a must.

Post Thanks / Like

And friend and I will be down the last week of the month on two quads. Will this be a problem?

Post Thanks / Like

MLSMITH83 is right, get a FAN COOLED 2 up sled (likely pre 2001) with REVERSE...ideally push button electronic reverse. Liquid cooled sleds need to throw snow up into a radiator like part that is above the track. No snow, no cooling the liquid running through that radiator back into the engine. Light array of studs is good idea too.
    I like his idea of the dish soap to keep the slides cooler when no snow, will adopt that one.

Post Thanks / Like

Madd Matt is right. Last Saturday my fishing bud & I had to ride double on a quad because of lack of snow...instead of taking two liquid cooled sleds. On the way back in to Camp Perry we found several 12" cracks with only about 4" thickness of ice at the edges! My friend drove across without me on the quad but pulling 2 Clam shelters with our stuff. Guess what? As he went across a piece of ice from the edge broke off! Piece was about 3' wide and 6' long! Well needless to say I tried to pick a spot down the crack to jump across. Did that with great anxiety, and the thought of never going out there with any kind of SOUTH WIND (wind was SW). I had a throw rope bag clipped to my backpack I was wearing, but stupid me did not think to throwing the line over to my fishing bud before jumping that crack! So there is an idea......take a throw bag/rope with you and use it in a situation like I was in. (they sell an orange bag with a rope stuffed in it for just that purpose) CLAM makes one but you can make your own too. Just make sure the rope is wrapped such that it won't get tangled when tossed.
    Last edited by thehunter; 02-03-2015 at 09:55 AM. Reason: tried to added pics of throw ropes (CLAM makes one)