Sled vs. 4 Wheeler Sled vs. 4 Wheeler Sled vs. 4 Wheeler Sled vs. 4 Wheeler
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BossHogg View Post
    A polaris 550 touring 2 up is another great worker. I have a switchback 800 liquid right now , but have scratchers for it. Studs are a must.
    Yep, she pulls like a horse! Great ice sled

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mckaax View Post
    And friend and I will be down the last week of the month on two quads. Will this be a problem?
    Many, many people use quads. If there is deep snow (more than 4-5") on the ice then it is very slow going and when you hit drifts you better have a shovel.

However, with the amount of traffic out there right now you can stay on the "roads" leaving the main areas and are generally just fine.

If you have chains put them on.

-Matt

Post Thanks / Like

I just bought 400 studs for my tires

Post Thanks / Like

I use to own 2 Kawasaki 4 wheelers and I have to admit they are a blast in the snow. and can be used all year long. mine was a 650 and a 700 prairie and went good in snow. but erie is a different story. if I just wanted something for ice fishing it would be a sled. but if I had the money for both and was fishing erie it would be on a sled. a sled is just more practical and much safer on water. if I didn't do a lot of riding my 4 wheeler all year long and I could only choose one it would be a sled. but a sled can only be used on ice and snow and I ride all year and I would get a big 4 wheeler and use studs.

I don't have my 4x4,s any more and don't ice fish up on erie. so im just giving my opinion on common sense. a sled just makes more sense on erie. but a 4x4 will work and you can find trails all over the country for riding in the summer. if you have no plans to ride all year then you should by all means get a good sled.

Post Thanks / Like

I am thinking about bringing my 2014 side by side but am scared to death it's gonna fall through. I've never been on the ice without a guide so I feel more comfortable on my $1000 pos quad. Is this good thinking or should I feel comfortable on my brand new machine it doesn't have insurance

Post Thanks / Like

I am thinking about bringing my 2014 side by side but am scared to death it's gonna fall through. I've never been on the ice without a guide so I feel more comfortable on my $1000 pos quad. Is this good thinking or should I feel comfortable on my brand new machine it doesn't have insurance
    Don't think I'd go out with NO insurance!
    F Troop 9th Cav 1st Air Cav

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bggeary View Post
    Don't think I'd go out with NO insurance!
    I have not been able to find insurance for an ATV or snowmobile that covers loss through ice. Most policies have an exclusion that says that as soon as you leave land and venture onto frozen water that you are un-insured.

If anyone has a policy that covers loss through ice I know I would be very interested and so would many people in here.

Too many people find out the hard way that they don't have coverage while ice fishing and they thought that they did.

-Matt

Post Thanks / Like

My state farm policy covers loss through the ice and dnr fees for it sitting on the bottom for both my atv and snowmobile. I specifically asked that before getting those policies

Post Thanks / Like

I now have a atv policy. Geico too said they cover through ice. I will double check but I asked clearly to make sure and he said yes. We will see. I will check ice levels before I leave and make a decision then. What do you guys recommend the ice levels before a large side by side

Post Thanks / Like

I now have a atv policy. Geico too said they cover through ice. I will double check but I asked clearly to make sure and he said yes. We will see. I will check ice levels before I leave and make a decision then. What do you guys recommend the ice levels before a large side by side
    That is awesome news! I have progressive, a few years ago I was looking around and getting nowhere. I don't remember all that I checked, but a few of them where: Farmers Insurance, Nationwide and Geico.

At the time none of them covered you once on the ice. Then there was a discussion in here that someone said that no insurance company covered you once you where on ice. I guess I stopped asking and just accepted that as the truth and never asked again.

I'm going to be switching before this weekend since I'll have 4 sleds and a Polaris 800 ATV on the ice!

Thanks a TON!
    -Matt