Angler in need of some help Angler in need of some help Angler in need of some help Angler in need of some help
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Post Thanks / Like

I've been a Great Lakes fisherman for over 25 years. Both on Lake Erie & Ontario. But, I've just recently joined this site. I've been reading this thread & reading the posts from all the great fishermen & women asking you to wait for better more dependable conditions.

The walleye season on Lake Erie is a long season. You can postpone your trip by 1 month or so & it won't make a drastic difference in the fishing. The walleye will still be in the area. But, the weather & water temperature will change quite a bit for the better.

The people on this site aren't calling you anything deflamatory. There's no reason to become defensive. They're giving you the benefit of their YEARS of knowledge in hopes that you will do the right thing, especially if you're toting a minor along for the ride. Even if you're fine with the waves & the cold water, who's to say she will be? And God forbid if anything does happen to her. How are you going to help her from the seat of your kayak? Please reconsider. You said it yourself, you've never been on the Great Lakes before.

You really don't know what to expect.

And as for your argument comparing automobiles to kayak? Remember, automobliles are a necessity. Kayaks aren't. Most of the people who died in a automobile accident were problably doing something out of necessity ie. going to work, grocery shopping. Not putting a small craft on a huge body of water in frigid freezing temperatures, miles from the saftey of shore in hopes of catching a fish.

Listen, be safe & live to fish another day with your fishing buddy!

Post Thanks / Like

Go to ohiogamefishing.com . Do a search for Kayak walleyes there . There is a group of guys who have gotten together the past 2 springs out of Turtle Creek to fish walleyes in their Kayaks with good results . Some days you only need to go out a couple hundred yards to catch fish jigging .Yes it can be dangerous but yes it can be done safely as well . Another option would be to Ferry over to one of the Bass Islands and fish there . Walleyes along with smallies and many other fish can be caught in very close there .Kayaks are becoming a way many people fish now in the Great Lakes and Ocean as well. Pick your days with the right weather and have fun . I see guys out in Lorain and Conny all the time in yaks when the lake is flat. Hope this helps and stay safe .

Post Thanks / Like

In June or when the water temperatures reach near 60F fish all around the islands from your kayak and catch more fish in one day than you have caught in your entire life. Throw gold hammered harness or weapon tipped with a crawler and you will catch walleye, smallmouth, largemouth, catfish, perch etc. and you will enjoy the weather. You have a very good chance at catching 10lb females that have spawned out. Just an FYI that fishing the spawn for walleye is not a very good "fighting" fish and you are mainly targeting 2-3lb jacks. The water is cold and the fish just don't "fight". The females are typically caught suspended in deep water outside of the spawning areas. Heck, walleye don't fight much ever. More like dragging in a log until they see the boat. Plus they are spawning in the spring and when you bring them up, the jacks don't stop spawning if you catch my drift. If you are dead set on the spring of which only walleye are biting catch a ride with someone. Many folks offer free rides.

Post Thanks / Like

It is probably best if you were to scrap the trolling idea. That method would force you to venture to far offshore for safety reasons. I would limit myself to jig fishing for the males either on the inner reef complex or between them and the safety of shore. In fact I would limit myself to no further out than the firing range can line to start, you may not have to go that far who knows what the fish will be doing.

Hair jig sizes would be 5/8 oz and 3/4 oz wt. in purple, John Deere Green and black. If you would need a 1oz. wt it would most likely be to rough to fish effectively. Minnows can be of some help on certain days and I always take some along as i feel it is better to have them along and not need them than to need them and not have them along. They can be kept in a zip lock freezer bag and kept cool in your lunch box. Dead does not seem to matter as you are imparting the movement with your jigging motion and they die rather quickly anyhow.

The idea is that you would want to keep contact with the bottom and bounce your jig off the bottom. The type of presentation can change from day to day and even within the same day. You can try to jig almost straight down snap your rod up and let the jig free fall back to the bottom, use a short slow lift and let it free fall back to the bottom, cast out aways and allow the the jig time to make contact with the bottom then hop it back so the jig hits bottom each hop. The fish are most generally felt on the uplift while starting a new hop or up and down jig motion. Be ready to set the hook with the feeling of any added pressure/weight while lifting or hopping the jig.

If you decide to fish the bay or the river you must be aware that rain will alter the clarity of the water, In the river it will also alter the current to the point that you may not be able to fish effectively, and could even become dangerous. These are all things that you should consider when choosing your desired fishing area. Any rain in the Fort Wayne Indiana area can and will alter river conditions in the better fishing spots on the Maumee River closer to the lake.

On the big lake any kind of a north wind over 10 mph may be unacceptable for you to fish. You would probably be moving to fast to be fishing effectively.

There are 2 bait stores close to the Turtle Creek and Wild Wings Launches. One is the Happy Hooker and the other a little further to the east is Dreamcatcher Baits. Both are located on the south berm of St. Rt. 2.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

Post Thanks / Like

thank you so much wakina for the info. very much appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Forgot to add that the earlier you can get on the water the better your chances. There will most likely be a long line at Happy Hookers so the DreamCatcher bait store might be the better choice! It will be a Zoo out there on the water if it is a nice sunny calm spring weekend day. I have seen it so full it would remind you of Walmart parking lot on black Friday. Watch out for the irresponsible discourteous boaters the jig bite seems to draw them, there will be some real jerks out there.
    Last edited by wakina; 02-05-2015 at 06:54 PM.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip