Angler in need of some help Angler in need of some help Angler in need of some help Angler in need of some help
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Not to be discouraging, but from wild wings to turtle island would be one long trip to paddle. You would be avlot closer to turtle island leaving from point place or halfway creek just over michigan line. Imo. I got caught out in my ranger bass boat last year jig season and the weather chaged on me. I was probably never more scared in my life. That water is very cold still. My bilge pumps were barely able to keep up. Be careful
    I'm gonna miss her.... ....Maybe not so much, now that she left

2016 Tracker Targa V18 w/t
    150 Mercury 4 stroke
    9.9 Mercury 4 stroke kicker

Post Thanks / Like

Master Kraft sorry I think I worded something wrong I was asking if launching from west of Maumee bay state park and heading toward turtle Island OR launching from wild wings and going well not real sure were to head from there, but witch one would probably give better results and would either be equal chance to catch some walleye thanks again guys for all the info.

Post Thanks / Like

No worries brother, just be safe out there and you are correct, this is a great site with many helpful guys (and gals, Capt. Juls).
    I'm gonna miss her.... ....Maybe not so much, now that she left

2016 Tracker Targa V18 w/t
    150 Mercury 4 stroke
    9.9 Mercury 4 stroke kicker

Post Thanks / Like

So just out of curiosity, is there any particular reason that you're heart set on going out in kayaks the first time? I know it can be done, but that just sounds dangerous. Also, if you're planning on going out in April and you're targeting walleye, have you considered the Maumee or Sandusky river? I've not been to the Maumee so some of these guys would have to tell you whether or not it would be safe for the yaks, but I've been out on the Sandusky and it seems to me that would be a safer option in kayaks that the lake and you could still target walleye in there that time of year.

Edit: I don't intend to be discouraging either. I just want to make sure that you have a full understanding and appreciation for just how deadly that lake can be and just how quickly it can become that way. I'm not sure about father west than turtle creek, but those reefs that people fish during the jig bite are quite a ways out there. Have a fun trip and BE SAFE!
    Last edited by Hoytman86; 02-04-2015 at 07:51 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

call the coast guard and see what they tell you about yaking on the lake in hypo water. They will have some recommendations about how far out to venture. Just saying.

Post Thanks / Like

you can catch fish within a mile of shore from turtle creek to wild wings. its generally an early morning bite. like really early. Again would have to reccomend going out in a bigger boat with experienced captains. They will be able to accomodate your situation. Go with them a time or two, then you will see what you need to do and if it is possible from the kayaks. As everyone has already stated, erie is dangerous and people get in trouble very quickly. Please be safe!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Not unless you wear a survival suit

Others have hinted at it, but I will just say it. Kayaking lake erie in early may is a bad idea. The water temperature will most likely be mid 40's to maybe 50. This is no time to take a chance. If you wear survival suits, have at it. If not the chances of survival "if" something happens gets pretty slim, and the chances of something happening in a kayak on lake erie are good. I do not care what the air temperature is, if the lake temp is 45 you have to dress for 45 weather. There are many on this site and other sites as well as many charter captains, head boats, etc that you can go out with in the spring. Plan your lake erie kayak trip for when the water temp is 60F or above. Take a ferry out to the islands with your kayaks and catch small mouth, largemouth, catfish, sheephead, walleye, perch, etc all day long in enjoyable weather. Do not chance your life or the life a minor under your supervision in early spring in a kayak. Can it be done, sure, but should it be done???? My 2 cents is don't do it.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok guys thank you for your concerns. I would like to say we will be packing warm dry close that in the event something happens we will have warm dry close secondly these kayaks are sit on top made for surf and will drain out when turned back upright all that being said and again I thank you all for your concerns and from what I am gathering putting out at wild wings would possibly be more rough waters than putting in more farther back tucked in Maumee bay so I would like to ask this can you catch walleye in the mouth of the bay or just out from the mouth of the bay in early may.

Post Thanks / Like

yes you can but it gets rough in there as well. the places where the fish concentrate arent exactly protected areas. Also another thing to remember is that there will be hundreds to thousands of boats on the water and you will be very hard to see given the low profile nature of a kayak. We all pay attention to who is around us, but it is hard to see the smaller 16 to 18 ftrs at times especially if there is a decent chop let alone see a kayak. Like the last poster said there are plenty of opportunities. and very good fishing to be had, around the islands, plus close by the islands kayaks are much more common and people are looking for them. done preaching, good luck whatever you decide...just be safe

Post Thanks / Like

It's always possible. I can't speak specifically about Maumee Bay, but there was apparently a bite going on 200-300 yards off shore by Turtle Creek when I was up for the 4th of July weekend last year. I'm not a local or even regular up there, but I know there are times where those things occur.

Best of luck to you both, but I still hope you reconsider going out on one of the walk on charters that some of these fine gentleman list on here before attempting this yourself. Until you have seen the lake at its worst, there's really no way to put it into words that can make someone understand. I know you said you two have had two years of experience kayaking, but this lake claims the lives of mariners in 25' boats that were made for this lake annually, many of them with two or more DECADES of experience on the lake.

I'm not trying to say it can't be done. I'm sure that it would be a blast to experience if you can find a good bite. I just want to make sure you're understanding what we're trying to relay to you. I'd be willing to bet that at least half of the posters on here would say that the scariest experiences in their lives happened on that lake, and I would be in that group.

Just use good judgement and keep an eye on the forecast. It's okay to set a date and make reservations, just be prepared to cancel them if the weather isn't favorable. I'm attaching a to the wave link forecast, I'd recommend saving it and keeping an eye on it in the time leading up to your trip. You're not too far away, so the best plan would probably be to decide what dates you can go, then go up whichever of those days had a favorable weather forecast.

http://www.wunderground.com/MAR/LE/163.html