Angler in need of some help Angler in need of some help Angler in need of some help Angler in need of some help
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Angler in need of some help

Hello my name is Jesse I'm 31 I live in central OH. I was in an auto accident and am confined to a wheelchair. I have a fishing friend and she is now 15 we spent the last summer Kayak fishing mostly for catfish. The biggest one being just shy of 20lbs witch she caught and what a thrill it was to see that fish dragging her around the lake screaming "OMG" LOL now she can't get enough fishing in. We recently upgraded our kayaks to Vibe angler 130 and we will be coming to lake Erie in the spring time around early may looking to catch some walleye. I really want to see her hook up on some walleye. I was looking at Maumee bay and drifting using 3/4oz purple walleye killer jigs with minnows. I have a Lowrence 5x HDI. I was hopping to get any advice to whether or not I am on the right track as far as bait, location, depths to look for. Thanks and would just like to say this group from what I have seen and read seem like a very good group my hats off to ya all!!!

Your on the right track. Lot of people will be fishing little to the east of maumee bay out front of wildwings. Wild wings is located next to the power plant. You can't miss all the boats out fishing. When you stop to get your minnows they should be able to tell you what color hair jigs are producing fish.

Before you come up give me a call and i will be more than happy to supply you with all the info you need to have a successful trip. 614.327.7144. Jim

Remember spring time the water is very cold and dangerous. Might want to plan for warmer weather. Don't want any accidents, a couple years ago a man and his daughter tried that in the spring and didn't return. Not trying to be negative but safety first.

Yes we will be very closely watching and monitoring the weather an actually this past fall was at the outer banks in some very rough surf. That being said we will be only going out on a calm or near calm day. However we have 2 years of Kayaking under our belt and have encountered rough water if it comes up. We don't take chances if the weather turns we head for the bank. Skipper9 thank you so much I follow your post and have your number already wrote down.

Default Wild wings

I run out of wild wings if you are thinking of going out there give me a call i will let you know where we are at and the program.
    614-354-0652

I was looking at trolling lures any recommendations. Is down deep husky jerks good in the spring? and any recommendations on colors to try?

Quote Originally Posted by bevardjesse View Post
    I was looking at trolling lures any recommendations. Is down deep husky jerks good in the spring? and any recommendations on colors to try?
    yes a DHJ12 at 1.2mph would be an effective lure. I believe you would have to travel much farther from shore for it to be effective. Most of the time i target 30 foot of water when i troll crankbaits in the spring. This is only my humble opinion. Purple colors historically have worked the best.

does wild wings marina have a public boat ramp? I was looking at putting in just west of Maumee bay state park and heading toward Turtle Island? would it be better fishing farther east toward wild wings?
    Last edited by bevardjesse; 02-03-2015 at 09:52 PM. Reason: added info.

Quote Originally Posted by bevardjesse View Post
    does wild wings marina have a public boat ramp? I was looking at putting in just west of Maumee bay state park and heading toward Turtle Island? would it be better fishing farther east toward wild wings?
    yes.. i think its $10 to launch out if wild wings but not sure.