Angler in need of some help Angler in need of some help Angler in need of some help Angler in need of some help
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Bggeary View Post
    Dude! Leave the 15 year girl at home!
    2nd this!!!!! Leave the girl at home. You have zero experience on Lake Erie, which is very evident from the questions you are asking about where to fish and how to fish. If you are dead set on doing this, go with another crazy adult or by yourself (I really don't recommend by yourself) for the first trip. Gain some first hand experience on the lake in the spring and how miserably cold and wet you will be even if you don't fall in the water. Your statistics mean nothing since most kayakers are smart enough to not even attempt what you are thinking. Just do us all a favor and make the first trip without the girl. Gain first hand experience and don't go by that "statistically" it's safe. Until you experience it for yourself first hand you will not understand what we are trying to tell you. Again, please plan a pre-trip for yourself without the girl to make an educated decision on if it's worth risking your fishing partners life on.

Quote Originally Posted by bocajemma View Post
    2nd this!!!!! Leave the girl at home. You have zero experience on Lake Erie, which is very evident from the questions you are asking about where to fish and how to fish. If you are dead set on doing this, go with another crazy adult or by yourself (I really don't recommend by yourself) for the first trip. Gain some first hand experience on the lake in the spring and how miserably cold and wet you will be even if you don't fall in the water. Your statistics mean nothing since most kayaks are smart enough to not even attempt what you are thinking. Just do us all a favor and make the first trip without the girl. Gain first hand experience and don't go by that "statistically" it's safe. Until you experience it for yourself first hand you will not understand what we are trying to tell you. Again, please plan a pre-trip for yourself without the girl to make an educated decision on if it's worth risking your fishing partners life on.
    bocajemma~~You nailed it.

On top of that bevardjesse stated that there were 6 deaths on lake Erie last year, 2 of which or 1/3 of the deaths were kayakers, and 4 of which or 2/3 were boaters. We all know that there was a single accident last spring that took 4 lives and caused a great deal of pain and suffering for those family members who had to wait several days for all of their loved ones to be found. Most are also familiar with the deaths of those 2 in their Kayaks on Sandusky Bay.

Putting this in another light statistically, exactly 1/3 of the fatal accidents involved a motorized watercraft where there has been no determination as to what caused the accident in the first place. 2/3 of the fatal accidents involved 2 kayaks in the same incident but different accidents. The cause of those accidents was determined to be going on the water in unsafe conditions with a craft that was not of sufficient design to offset the water conditions and/or lack of experience. In both cases exposure was a factor in all of those deaths!

Safety is the first order of business when on the water, please do not come on this site and ask for rookie fishing advise and then tell us you will be first time Kayak fishermen on Lake Erie. Is it any wonder there were posts questioning your experience with lake Erie and the ability to deal with the most treacherous of the Great Lakes with wind and weather changes. Questions about fishing should be second. Most if not all of the people on this site want you to come and enjoy the Lake and to do so in a safe manner.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

Ok so If we go 100 yards out from shore in the bay in the evening on a calm day with light winds forecasted threw the day your telling me that it is unsafe? If you are truly saying this is unsafe stay out of automobiles.

Default Hey Its me

Hey guys my names Lillian, and I am the 15 year old girl, that you guys seem to be so worried about. If you please listen I 'am not your average 15 year old girl. I work part time, I save my money and I know what to do in an emergency. Now on top of that Im 5'8 and about 160, and I am strong. I 'am a strong swimmer and yes we know what we are getting our selves into. So, please I don't like hearing "Leave the girl" and other negativity. Because yes we know its dangerous and it can be deadly, but we know this and we are taking all of the necessary precautions and we are going to go well prepared. I personally love going out in the kayaks, and fishing. And over the winter we upgraded our kayaks to ones that are made for this kind of stuff, they are 13" and are sturdy enough to where a grown man could stand up in it. Over the last few years of kayaking Jesse and I have experienced all kinds of water and obstacles, and yet we have made it though it all, we have learned a ton about kayaking, and we very much enjoy it, so what I 'am saying is your negativity and "Leave the girl" comments are not going to stop us. That would be like me telling you "don't get in your car today, because there was an accident". Ok, so all im asking is please stop with the negativity and just tell us about the fishing. Because I want to catch my first walleye this year. Thank You For Reading and Please Just Fishing Tips. Please and Thank You
    Lillian

That's not necessarily unsafe, but you're also probably not going to catch very many walleye 100 yards offshore. Most fishing for walleye is done miles offshore. If you're up there in may, you should be able to catch plenty of white bass in and around either of the rivers since they will be spawning. As far as walleye from a yak, I'd say again to consider the Sandusky river during April. The water will still be extremely cold, but you'll be a hell of a lot closer to shore.

Default Hey Guys

Hey guys it me Lillian, Jesses fishing buddy. Now I have been listening to him read your guys posts over the last few days and I am getting tired of hearing so much negativity, and about him leaving me home are you NUTS!? He is in a wheelchair, plus I wouldn't let him go with out me. I absolutely love kayaking and fishing. We both know what to do in an emergency. Yes, I know I am 15, ad when think of a 15 year old girl you think small weak and most times prisy. Well I am here to set the record strait. I stand about 5'8 and about 160, I can throw 40lb bags around like they are nothing. I love fishing and anything outside. And just saying you guys saying negative stuff and telling Jesse to leave me at home, Please we don't want negative stuff, we just want to know about the fishing. And all your negative comments are not going to stop us, and im going. Thanks for reading

Ok not many I know that but, can we catch a couple not looking for monsters or even limits just looking to catch a couple they say in the evenings they come in toward the shore what would be the best lure I have received info that 10ft to 11ft is a good depth to look for. purple hair jigs 3/4 oz tipped with minnows jigging about 6 inches off the bottom at a slow drift.

I wouldn't waste anymore time on this person. Serious or not its a bad idea. They arent taking any advice so in I wouldn't feed into this anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by bevardjesse View Post
    Ok so If we go 100 yards out from shore in the bay in the evening on a calm day with light winds forecasted threw the day your telling me that it is unsafe? If you are truly saying this is unsafe stay out of automobiles.
    Look lets not go there, that was not your original question and you have now moved the goal posts as to what your original question was. You asked a question and you were given several answers/opinions! If you do not like the answers/opinions you receive then do not ask the questions. Those that have responded to your question (in your opinion) in a negative way have at least a couple of hundred years of combined experience on lake Erie. I myself have almost 60 years experience on the big lake. The answers/opinions that you received were based on practcal on the water experience of those who responded.

Your analogy of comparing cars to what we are saying about the use of kayaks is flawed. There are each and every day of the year millions of cars in the state of Ohio traveling the roads within the state. Boaters are a few hundred thousand on the waters of Lake Erie on a limited basis and at most 8 or 9 months a year. So the % of death rate per vehicle on the highways and roads of Ohio vs % of death rate per watercraft on the Ohio waters of lake Erie would be much lower than what you are insinuating.

Lets be honest about this issue! You have it in your head that you are going to do this spring Kayak thing, so go do it. Best of luck to you and your charge in your pursuit of walleyes.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

Lol well your not giving any advise other than don't go out. How about giving advise on what would be a reasonable distance from the shore to be out in case the weather turns. I can personally say I will promise we will never be out of eyesight of land. Then maybe we could get back to fishing things, but most of you just want to say don't come spend money on a charter. So yes I agree if you are just going to say don't come. Then yes don't waist anymore time posting here.