Angler in need of some help Angler in need of some help Angler in need of some help Angler in need of some help
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Check out the Ohio game fishing community, Northwest ohio fishing reports forum. It is mainly focused around the maumee river and the walleye run. I fish it every year and there are many walleye to be had there.
    There are also many members who fish out of kayaks all season. I'm certain that they would be able to hook u up with info on gettin some eyes. There are many places to launch and plenty of areas to get out of the dangers the lake may throw at ya. Again, even those of us with smaller boats are very limited on conditions to safely get out for the jig bite. That is a reason I wade the maumee while others are killin em on the reefs and mud humps. Good luck
    I'm gonna miss her.... ....Maybe not so much, now that she left

2016 Tracker Targa V18 w/t
    150 Mercury 4 stroke
    9.9 Mercury 4 stroke kicker

I've been reading this thread as it has grown and debated if I wanted to say something or not. Well I decided I should. It is in noway a good idea to attempt what you want to do. I lost two great friends last April 16th and my friends girlfriend and her niece to lake erie. My buddy was very experienced on erie and many other bodies of water. Mother nature doesn't care about experience or non experience. All i know is I'll never see them again and there are no for sure answers as to what happened as the boat was found structurley sound. No alocohol factor just a pure accident. I would strongly recommend using one of the great captains on here. If something happens to you not only are you putting your life in danger but others also. Many can vouch on here I'm sure that they've had the crap scared out of them on erie and add cold water to the situation its a recipe for disaster. I really hope you rethink your choices. I'm not trying to be a ahole i just don't want to see anything bad happen

Ok guys I hear your concerns. I would like advice from anyone that would like to talk about Walleye fishing in Maumee bay closer to the mouth of the river in late April early May. I would like to thank those of you who have voiced your concern and then gave me advice on were to target and what to use. I will be coming up in late April early May weather permitting. So any and all FISHING ADVISE would be greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by loomis82 View Post
    I've been reading this thread as it has grown and debated if I wanted to say something or not. Well I decided I should. It is in noway a good idea to attempt what you want to do. I lost two great friends last April 16th and my friends girlfriend and her niece to lake erie. My buddy was very experienced on erie and many other bodies of water. Mother nature doesn't care about experience or non experience. All i know is I'll never see them again and there are no for sure answers as to what happened as the boat was found structurley sound. No alocohol factor just a pure accident. I would strongly recommend using one of the great captains on here. If something happens to you not only are you putting your life in danger but others also. Many can vouch on here I'm sure that they've had the crap scared out of them on erie and add cold water to the situation its a recipe for disaster. I really hope you rethink your choices. I'm not trying to be a ahole i just don't want to see anything bad happen
    loomis82~~ Your opinion is one of the best responses to hit this thread.

Everyone who has fished the big lake for very long knows for a fact that it can go from dead calm and flat to 3 to 4 footers in a matter of just a few minutes and without warning, making it difficult for power boats to stay in control of their own safety, let alone having to basically paddle yourself to safe harbor when time is of most importance to make safe harbor. We all know the weather guessers miss the mark quite often for the big lake, especially wind forecasts which are notoriously wrong early and late in the season due to the unsettled weather! Add to that the high amount of boat traffic that will be in the area, some of which will have questionable boat operators at the helm making large wakes and possibly not paying attention to the possibility there may be smaller watercraft on the water with them just adds another variable to the safety equation.

Early in the season you will have the added threat of extremely cold water to deal with, making hypothermia a real threat. There is a big difference between being wet/soaked and on shore and being wet trying to stay afloat in 40 to 50 degree water where you are immersed or mostly submerged. Just getting soaked with that cold water and trying to maintain your composure while paddling for safe harbor while still in your kayak can be more than what your body can endure as a wind chill factor can be just as deadly as being actually immersed in the water.

I feel that the decision to do this or not is yours to make and I am not telling you not to do it. I am in all honesty trying to make you aware of all of the hazards that you may be facing, and ask that you weigh those hazards very carefully before you make your final decision.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

I've lived and boated my entire life on Lake Erie, western basin. You have no idea of what you are talking about in regards to taking kayaks out on the lake. Actually I'm wondering if this isn't a prank? If it isn't, wear life jackets so your bodies can be found quickly to start your life insurance payoff process. Help the rescue searchers find your bodies in a day or so, think of them out there because you obviously are not thinking of yourselves.
    Is this a prank/joke posting?

I questioned the validity of this as well, buy I figured I'd approach it as if it was someone who was seriously considering taking a kayak out onto lake Erie on sub 50 degree water. I know that anyone who's been out on the lake enough has experienced something that makes them understand and appreciate the dangers it presents.

If you're looking for fishing advise, I've contributed my two cents. My adviser is to go out on a charter first or, if you insist on chasing eyes in a kayak, to do so on one of the rivers during the down. I cannot in good conscious recommend any locations, strategies or anything else on the lake for someone in a kayak with a child in tow. The waves, wind and currents are too dangerous and a lake of glass can turn into a lake of horrors on the span of ten minutes.

Honestly, the refs that are targeted for the jig bites are miles from shore, getting home is traveling into the wind 90% of the time and having less than 2' waves that far out is simply a rarity. Nobody here is trying to be mean or rude, were trying to relay to someone just how serious a situation it can be and trying to keep Jenny Greenteeth from claiming another 2 victims.

Ok guys my Facebook is [email protected] with map of were we will be putting in and were we are planning on going please take a look see if that will ease some of your concerns and then please can you tell me if and what the chances of catching a few Walleye would be.

http://m.toledoblade.com/local/2014/...Lake-Erie.html

Sorry if this story hits close to home for some of you, I just wanted to make sure there's not another like out this year.

Ok I want to say thanks to the couple guys that have helped me. To the worry warts I have tried to stress we will be taking every persuasion we can, but we will be their in the spring we will be in kayaks. In the state of Ohio there was 80 deaths due to auto accidents in 2014 and on Lake Erie there was 6 deaths 2 of witch was Kayaks. Statistically speaking if you are that worried maybe you should stop driving and stay out of automobiles. Sorry I come here for info on Walleye fishing I know the dangers of the lake I know the water turns fast, but I did not come here to here about that I was simply trying to get some fishing info. I will not be deterred. So say what you want call me an idiot I don't really care. I again thank those of you who gave me the info I was asking for and would again appreciate any more info. I could get about fishing the back waters of Maumee bay.

Quote Originally Posted by bevardjesse View Post
    Ok I want to say thanks to the couple guys that have helped me. To the worry warts I have tried to stress we will be taking every persuasion we can, but we will be their in the spring we will be in kayaks. In the state of Ohio there was 80 deaths due to auto accidents in 2014 and on Lake Erie there was 6 deaths 2 of witch was Kayaks. Statistically speaking if you are that worried maybe you should stop driving and stay out of automobiles. Sorry I come here for info on Walleye fishing I know the dangers of the lake I know the water turns fast, but I did not come here to here about that I was simply trying to get some fishing info. I will not be deterred. So say what you want call me an idiot I don't really care. I again thank those of you who gave me the info I was asking for and would again appreciate any more info. I could get about fishing the back waters of Maumee bay.
    Dude! Leave the 15 year girl at home!
    F Troop 9th Cav 1st Air Cav