Newbie Newbie Newbie Newbie

Thread: Newbie

Default Newbie

Hello everyone. Hope I'm posting this in the right place. I am new to the forum and wanted to say hello. I live in northern IN. and have only been ice fishing for about 3 years now mainly targeting crappie and bluegill.
    Anyway I am looking for input/advice and all around guidance on a DIY walleye ice fishing to lake Erie. A local guy who I met last weekend on the ice here said "all you have to do is just go" but I would like to be a little more prepared than that. For example safety, equipment that is absolutely necessary?
    Sorry for the long first post but I have always wanted to catch a walleye through the ice. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Default thurs ice walleyes

Capt Mike is out right now 2 miles plus out of camp perry, first walleye on ice ten minutes after hole drill, nice path out of camp perry, ice is stable, watch out for winds on friday, cleos lures of choice. Wayne reel sport team 419 265 2736

Give me a call and i will give you all the info you need. Watch out for some of the guides they just want your money and don't care about safety. I dont guide on ice but i have alot of ice fishing friends that will help you and will make sure your safe. 614.327.7144

Skipper, what you said about guides make me a little leery. My father and I are talking about making a weekend trip to Erie to get out on the ice and were just going through the list of guides on the DNR website. Are there any in particular that you would recommend and are there any of the walleye.com captains that run on ice?

For this year we're just looking for a guide. That would be cheaper and easier for us than getting all of the requisite equipment for a once a year type of thing.

These guys had a good day!! Nice job

Hey Wayne...you mind telling me what size Cleo's? Thanks!

Default cleos

med size, hammered orange silver, green hammered, blue silver,
    tryed inclose today started in afternoon, nice fish, lots of misses, be back out in morning and sat. Capt. Mike REEL SPORT CHARTERS Licensed ohio ice guide, 419 265 2736

Thank ya sir! I'll be out saturday...good luck tomorrow!