East Harbor v. West Harbor East Harbor v. West Harbor East Harbor v. West Harbor East Harbor v. West Harbor

Default East Harbor v. West Harbor

I just started getting into ice fishing the past couple years and I have been loving it despite not catching any fish. That being said, I would prefer to catch some fish.

Does anyone have any pointers on fishing the harbors for panfish? I fish West Harbor all summer and always do well, but haven't been able to pull anything through the ice. And it seems all the ice reports I hear about guys catching bluegills and the like are from East Harbor.

Is East Harbor appreciably better for ice fishing than West Harbor? Or am I just not finding the right spots in West Harbor? I've tried using minnows and waxworms with all different kinds of jigs, but no dice.

Thanks in advance!

Default llw

Sorry I can be of no help about the ice fishing!! Maybe you can help me out a little? I too enjoy doing a little pan fishing,especially gills now and then. I have never been to or fished west harbor. Do you fish docks,or is there another area to try? I like to come up in the early season to EYE fish,but also enjoy some pan fishing!Thank you and good luck to you on the ice!!!

I can't speak to West Harbor as I've never been there. And my experience in East Harbor is 10+ years old and during the summer. That said, I was fishing with wax worms from the shore at East Harbor State Park and all I was catching was Gobies.

Like I said, take all of this with a grain of salt as it's been such a long time, but I can't imagine the Gobies are any thinner in there now than they were 10 years ago. If you have a spot that works just keep at it. I love getting into a mess of gills myself. Some of the most fun I had growing up was running around Alligator Dock I on Lake Cumberland catching bluegills and taking them to my dad's friend's mother who was filleting them on the deck of their houseboat, rolling them in Bisquick batter and deep frying them for us to eat as we fished.

Good luck and be safe!

Default Panfish

I've fished east and west many years. West harbor marina used to be a great spot for perch,crappie,and gills until they posted no trespassing signs. Always fished right next to the docks as the fish like to stay in cover near e docks. As for east harbor there is a large weed bed if you go out 50 yards or so. Fish anyplace around there and you will be sure to catch more gills than you care to eat. Just clean you a spot in the weeds and take plenty of waxworks.

I fish all around the docks and the rock shorelines for panfish and largemouth. The thing about West Harbor is that it's mostly all private property so if you aren't fishing by boat there is very limited access. I stay at a marina in the harbor and people come in and out of there with bass boats all the time, but if you're on foot it would be tough.

Thanks for all the responses, and I'll be sure to post my results next time I go out!

Default panfishing

Thanks ALL for the info! To bad they post private property,for people who just want to simply fish!!!Hey Hoytman86! I once docked at alligator 1 or 2? MANY years ago!!!I was with some friends,one who had a pontoon boat.It was our first and last trip.Alot of fun tho.I think we bought every bait available there,and caught a few fish.We stayed a couple nights at a camp KOA I beleive. Hard to find a spot less than 100 feet deep LOA!!I remember one night it got so foggy,you couldnt see past the front of the boat!Lucky one guy brought a GPS,or we might still be trying to get back LOL.I remember we docked at 2 or 3 in the morning.I couldnt beleive ALL the people up partying on their house boats.GOOD fishin to ALL!!!

If interested in Ice Fishing West Harbor! You should be able to access the Harbor from the State Dock and slip off of St Rt 53 N or also at the end of East Harbor State Park rd at the public slip located just past Sailors to the right.
    Last edited by wakina; 01-23-2015 at 05:36 PM.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip