Trolling question Trolling question Trolling question Trolling question
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Trolling question

I have been told that trolling with a large horsepower 2 cycle motor is not a good idea, which is the reason most trollers use a low horsepower kicker which allows them to move a large boat slowly at a higher RPM. How about the newer 4 strokes? I have a Honda 150 hp 4 stroke on my 18.5 Alumacraft. It moves about 2 mph (GPS) at 700 or so rpm. I can slow the boat with socks but I don't want to cause any harm to the very (!) expensive motor. Other than putting a lot of hours on the motor is this not a good idea? I would like to troll effectively without shelling out 4 grand on a kicker if I don't have to. I know there are a bunch of knowledgeable people on this forum and I will appreciate your opinions. Thanks!

Life is what happens while we are making plans!

Save fuel and hours on big motor (Honda's are sweet by the way). Shop a long shaft 4stoke kicker that way you can draw fuel from main tank. 8-9.9hp more than enough power. 6hp probably enough but fuel tank built in(no good). I just purchased a 8hp long shaft Yamaha 4stroke for under $2500. It got good reviews from anyone I talked to. 3yr warranty too.

A few reasons for not using the large engine, idle is the worst condition for a 4 stroke engine as it is the lowest oil pressure and typically causes premature cam wear and crank bearing wear. Like mentioned, you will pay for a kicker in the fuel you save, and any extra maintenance you would have to do the large engine. The kicker can always get you back to port ( been there done that) so safety is good. A kicker will allow you to troll at what ever speed you want, with bags, you will only be able to get down to 1.4 mph on average if there is any wind. I'm not saying you shouldn't do it, but typically you spent less than 1 hour running the big engine to/from fishing spots/day. Trolling is usually 4 to 6 hours/day. That is a lot of hours to not have on your big engine season after season. You should be able to find a 2 stroke used kicker for well under $1000. A used 4 stroke kicker $1500 to $2500 if you don't want to go new. A lot of folks don't like the smell of the 2 stroke fumes, the 4 stroke you just don't notice them, but the carbon monoxide is still there, you just don't notice it. Just things to think about.
    Last edited by ebijack; 01-13-2015 at 05:29 AM.
    I can only hope I have earned the freedom that has been given me.

I bought my 9.9hp high thrust 4 stroke Suzuki with powertilt for $2700.00 and some change delivered to my yard in the original factory packaging. It is a sweet running motor and will push my 23ft pro line about 6.5 mph, or troll at less than 1 mph if need be if not windy. I had a used 9.8hp 2 stroke Nissan that I had bought used and it did well but not as strong and much more smelly. I can troll for 6 to 8 hours on less than 2 gallons of regular gas. And it has more hours on it than the new 5.7l that was new at the same time, that is a plus as it saves fuel and hours on the main motor. Burning in a whole days trolling what I would normally burn every hour using the main 5.7l to troll with . I did put a remote steering and throttle control on it and plumbed it into the main fuel tank to eliminate the remote 3 gallon tank.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

Default trolling

I beg to differ with all the replays. I just finished the 4th year with my Yamaha 150 4 stroke. I use it for trolling. It has 1259 hrs on it. Not one problem and I haven't even changed the plugs. My previous boat had over 3000 hrs on a 150 Yamaha with no problems. I have a 22 ft boat and can troll down to .5 mph. Just my 2 cents worth.

Default Trolling

Check out Tohatsu 4 strokes. They make motors under 30 hp for Mercury, Evinrude and Nissan. I bought a brand new 8 hp for my boat last year. It was very reasonable. I had it shipped and saved over $1000 compared to other brands. Take the cover off and it is exactly the same as the other motors. My big motor is an Etec 150 and I love it but my kicker uses way less gas when trolling.

Default trolling

I have twin 150 Yamaha 2 strokes and have been trolling with them going on the 6th. season, never a problem, use synthetic oil,and change plugs every other season,other than the spring jig, I mainly troll.
    As far as fuel burn, 2 gal. a day with kicker vs. 8 gal without , This is on a boat that weighs 6500# before passengers. BIG DEAL!!
    Captain Don M.
    B.G./Marblehead

Thanks for the information and advice guys. It gave me things to think about. ebijacks comment on having a way back in if something goes wrong is absolutely worth considering. And since wakina can move his 23 footer along well with a 9.9, I'm sure I could save some with an 8 hp and it would still do the job on my boat, which is lighter. So that is likely the way I'll go.
    My wife's birthday is next month. I wonder what I should get her? Hmmmm..

Quote Originally Posted by Defernaut View Post
    Thanks for the information and advice guys. It gave me things to think about. ebijacks comment on having a way back in if something goes wrong is absolutely worth considering. And since wakina can move his 23 footer along well with a 9.9, I'm sure I could save some with an 8 hp and it would still do the job on my boat, which is lighter. So that is likely the way I'll go.
    My wife's birthday is next month. I wonder what I should get her? Hmmmm..
    Good decision as 4 strokes do not deliver the needed lubrication to the lower cylinder walls at idling RPMs, especially the larger variety, the smaller HP high thrust models designed for kicker use are the exception. Been told as long as the oil pressure is high enough it is OK. But that is not entirely true, It would be fine for the crank and the upper engine(Valve Train) but what about the lower cylinder walls that gets it lubrication from the slingers built into the crank.

The faster the engine turns over (RPMs) the more oil that is flung up into the lower cylinder for lubrication. Not enough oil caused by low RPMs and the cylinders goes from being round to elongated(egg shape/oval) due to wear from lack of proper lubrication and the compression begins to suffer.

2 Strokes on the other hand have their lubrication mixed in with the gasoline so it is always present in the needed quantities so long as the fuel is mixed properly or the oil injection system is operating as designed. 2 cycle oil also acts as a coolant so there are fewer things to go wrong as far as lubrication and to some degree cooling.

I would also like to see for myself twin 150hp 2 strokes troll 6 hrs on 8 gallon of gas, just sayn. Been there and done that with alot less success than others seem to have had and that was with a single 150hp 2 stroke.
    Last edited by wakina; 01-15-2015 at 03:47 PM.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

Quote:
    I would also like to see for myself twin 150hp 2 strokes troll 6 hrs on 8 gallon of gas, just sayn. Been there and done that with alot less success than others seem to have had and that was with a single 150hp 2 stroke.

Only running one motor when trolling
    Captain Don M.
    B.G./Marblehead