Long time listener, 1st time caller Long time listener, 1st time caller Long time listener, 1st time caller Long time listener, 1st time caller
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Long time listener, 1st time caller

Hello! My name is Teddy. I have been following along on this site for a couple of years now. Because of a previous email problem, the site was not allowing me to log on. I do not know why, or really care at this point, cause I have a new email. lol

I would like to thank everyone here for the wisdom they have shared. I look forward to contributing.

I run a 1994 250 Sportcraft IO with 5.0 Volva-Penta DuoProp named The Jackrabbit out of Turtle Creek Campground(the one off Humphrey Rd), with my beautiful wife and 1st mate Carol. We also own a cottage across the road from the beach as Humphrey Rd. bends around to Turtle Point. I have been fishing the Western basin for 35 years, mostly with my dad, who passed October of 2013.We reside in Columbus Grove, OH. and make it to the lake most weekends during the season. Hell, we got married their in June of 2013! LMAO

We are mostly old school walleye, Erie Dearies, Golden Nuggets, bouncers and harnesses, you get the idea. Reluctantly troll on days with no drift, Hot n Tots, Wiggle Warts, spoons. Walleye have been tough over the last 10 years for us to say the least. I'm not sure if Carol has seen 2 limits for the boat. She jokes about not believing its possible! lol

Perch is a different story however! We start perching as soon as possible, since it seems as if we are walleye challenged of late. A couple of spreaders, no matter the bling, a bucket of shiners, and we typically have pretty good days!

Enough babbling! Anyway, I look forward to making some new friends and becoming a better fisherman

Welcome Ted! I used to fish out of Fenwicks when they first opened years ago, but now have a place in Bass Haven I miss West Sister a lot. Just to far to go by water, tho have done the trip once or twice on flat days. Again welcome and good fishing!
    F Troop 9th Cav 1st Air Cav

Welcome aboard Ted! As you know plenty of great folks here with great info. Do you want to learn/get better at trolling or stay with drifting? I'm sure we can help with any choice you have, or both. Were you running big boards or inlines and at what speeds.
    I can only hope I have earned the freedom that has been given me.

I've been stuck and stubborn with the old school ways. Back when it was easy, you know before the zebra mussels showed up, when the lake changed and I have not! lol. Sad but true.

I guess I need to figure out the troll. My dad used to call walleye that were caught trolling, "community fish" lmao. Meaning, all bets were off , because the boat had caught the fish, 1st, biggest, and the most. Dollar each!

Time to move on and start filling the box!

No big boards. By inlines, you mean inline boards? I have them and don't know how to use them. Flippin rookie right? I know!

I have inline snap weights that I put in front of spoons sometimes, with minimal success, but a few walleye.

Mostly when I troll, I am long lining 3 hot n tots straight out the back at 1.8 to 2.2 mph in water that's probably too deep for the tot. Whew! there it is, glad to get it out!

Blog Entries

Welcome Ted. Thanks for joining and for your future contributions to the site. Everyone benefits.

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye_Rick View Post
    Welcome Ted. Thanks for joining and for your future contributions to the site. Everyone benefits.
    Ted, Welcome!

Most of us in here are rookies, I'm the biggest one. If I catch fish and am successful it is because of the help that I receive from others in here and on the water, mostly Skipper9. Many others in here are helpful and have given me good advice too, but I happen to be in the same marina as Skipper9 and he has made me enjoy trolling (which I NEVER thought I would do!)

I have been fishing Lake Erie for over 30 years, my father for over 60, and my grandfather (94) made it out once last year for probably his last time, but he has had a boat on Lake Erie for over 60 years.

These guys convinced me to throw in the towel and "try" trolling about 4 years ago. I figured I'd try it. Now, I like to think that I am pretty good at it but only because of the help and advice I get from this site.

By the way, my grandfather of 94 years old, my father and brother and myself have all caught our personal bests with all of us over the 31-32" walleye now that we caught trolling. And when I see the rod go down, I grab the rod, and I reel in a 32" walleye... It is MY fish, not anyone else's!

-Matt

Ted you need to get dipsey's divers, probably the easiest to use and the most productive trolling method in water deeper than 30 feet. You can run meat, spoons, and cranks behind them. Easy to bring in and out just make sure you run braided line on your dipsey rods. When I say easiest I mean for beginners, When you run inline boards there is a lot more to learn.

Blog Entries

I agree, dipsy divers are a really good option for those starting out with trolling. I have very fond memories of fishing with my Dad over 20 years ago and the first time we tinkered with the dipsy divers. Started slow with just two on each side of the boat and still remember the thrill we both had when the the walleyes first tripped those divers with "Fish On". The anticipation and then the strike, nothing better.

I've posted a video on how to use dipsy divers at www.walleye.com . Scroll down half way on the main page and you'll see the video.

Welcome aboard Ted!

There are a bunch of quality people that frequent this forum, they all offer some very sound advice. It won't take you long to figure out which ones are sincere and those that are just blowing on their key board to create some drama.

When things get going this spring and the jig bite is over I would be happy to show you what I know about the small boards. I normally fish just crawler harnesses and spoons and use only the small in-line boards with either a jet diver or a tru-trip diver. Small boards are allot easier to use than you might expect and you should be able to master their use in a couple of hours. But if you go with me we will make it a full day of fishing. The easy part is averting tangles and the hard part is reading the boards and knowing if you are towing a small junk fish.

I dock at Beef Creek Marina on the Toussaint River and run a 23ft Pro-Line.
    Last edited by wakina; 12-11-2014 at 09:46 PM.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

Welcome Teddy!

This group of guys will make you a better Erie fisherman! The wealth of knowledge they are willing to pass to others is amazing and sure as heck shorten my learning time. I predict you will be catching more fish this year if you use what they offer!

Here's to a great year! Look forward to sharing information with you!

Jim....aka eyezcrazy