Shore Night Walleye fishing Shore Night Walleye fishing Shore Night Walleye fishing Shore Night Walleye fishing
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Shore Night Walleye fishing

I need some pointers on night walleye fishing. Started trying this method but have not had positive results. Spent three hours on the north side of Kelleys Island off a dock with a half a dozen other fishermen. From 7:30 to 10:30 I never even had a hit. Four fish were caught during the time I was there.
    I was using a floating rapalla about 3" long, shallow diver and was using a ultra slow retrieve.
    Can someone advise me as to the size of Husky Jerk to use.
    What are the best colors for this area and type of fishing?
    Suggestions on retrieve speed and technique. ( I was cranking about one revolution per second continuous retrieve)

I know I'm asking for allot of help but sure would be grateful for any help.

I would buy some of those smithwicks perfect 10's they seem to be the favorite night bite lure.

The guys that were catching 4 fish what were they using and what technique? I think they also use rattle traps from shore. No sense re-inventing the wheel you can learn a lot just buy watching someone.

Penalty box,

Thanks for the replies.

Yes I did watch and ask questions but the guys were a little bit secretive. They advised a dead slow consistent retrieve and orange and blue floating shallow dive lures. They said husky jerk but I don't know what size.
    Is that smithwicks perfect 10 a floating lure and do you know how long it is?

Thanks again, won't be out till early next week so I have to pick up some lures.

Chuck E.

I have always had better luck with a suspending bait instead of a floater. When the water gets colder I will let it sit for up to 10 seconds. A lot times when you start a super slow retrieve again after a pause the walleye just has it in his mouth. I use hj14s and smithwick toques. When I haven't caught anything yet I will change technique on every cast. Slow steady, slow with pauses, slow with little jerks. Let the fish tell you. Pay attention to anyone who has already caught a fish and mimic their retrieve.

I would also recommend a suspending stick bait that is substantially longer than 3'' (something like 4''-5'')

Just bought a 12 and a 14 husky jerks. No smithwicks at wally's. Will check amazon for more lures. Some great replies and technique advice. Looking forward to Wed. night. My next available night to fish.
    Will keep all advised of my results.
    Chuck E.

Has anyone been catching off the Lakeside pier?

Caught my first night shore cast walleye tonight. Not a hog but still respectable size.
    Used Husky Jerk 14 blue and orange with a slow steady retrieve.
    Worth the effort! Thanks for all the help...
    Chuck E.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck E. View Post
    Caught my first night shore cast walleye tonight. Not a hog but still respectable size.
    Used Husky Jerk 14 blue and orange with a slow steady retrieve.
    Worth the effort! Thanks for all the help...
    Chuck E.
    How long were you out, Chuck?

Where did you go?

I heard a few guys were fishing around Catawba State Park.