Jumbo island perch and walleye sat. Jumbo island perch and walleye sat. Jumbo island perch and walleye sat. Jumbo island perch and walleye sat.

Smile Jumbo island perch and walleye sat.

Reel sport team started day out by middle island weather from last night had them very finky,,we stay the morning there and got nice perch up to 13,25 inches, but slow bite got a call to move south of kellys between boat dock and shore, well it was on fire but ten junk fish to 1 perch, then we made a wise descision and change our sinker wieght to 3 ounces, and it was on fire jumbo perch, and a couple walleyes. Final results 8 man limit 240 perch 64 lbs at cleaners, and witness by division of wildlife girl, also landed 1 27 inch 7 lb walleye, threw one small one back and lost another large one at boat, also we check our perch and we had 27 perch between 10,5 and 13.25 inches, rest were soild fat perch, Tip for day heavier than normal sinker, 3 oz. and only rigs to work to day was skipper nine rigs with chartuse bead, and plain skipper nine rigs hope this helps everyone Capt Mike 419 265 2736

Thanks for the info. I am taking a couple of old timers out tomorrow morning and they just don't have the stamina to make a long run and then fish for hours to get a limit or two of perch. I run out of East Harbor so hearing a report of the perch being south of Kelley's is like music to my ears. You said you fished between the dock and shore....what dock are you talking about? How deep of water? Has there been a pack of boats in the area? I worry about fishing in a pack with these old guys because there are always idiots that run through the pack and I don't want to rush one of these guys to the hospital for a hip replacement.

I have fished for 30+ years on the lake and I have never heard of a sinker weight making any difference on catching perch. What do you contribute the heavier sinker had to do with catching more perch?

Russ

Default heavy sinkers

A heavy sinker will get the bait past those little guys before they can inhale it. Not too many guys ultra lites will handle a 3 oz sinker without folding a couple rods on the hookset !!!

Smile kellys

You will see the pack roughly hundred boats, we used ulgly stick short light rods and handled well, the white perch were hitting it before the bottom, the perch were in the mud, with heavy sinker it got past the junk and gave the perch a chance, we still got farm amminals but not as much.

Quote Originally Posted by wayne johnson View Post
    You will see the pack roughly hundred boats, we used ulgly stick short light rods and handled well, the white perch were hitting it before the bottom, the perch were in the mud, with heavy sinker it got past the junk and gave the perch a chance, we still got farm amminals but not as much.
    We went out this morning and I went south of Kelley's to get out of the wind/waves and sat right down on perch...white perch one after another. We caught 10 white perch for every yellow perch. I ended up filleting a white perch and using cut bait because they couldn't get it off of the hook as easy as minnows.

I have NEVER caught white perch like that. I only got a couple of sheeps but one of them broke the base right off of one of my perch reels. They weren't breaking my line anymore but breaking my reel is what happens when you put 30lb braid on an ultralight reel.

Quote Originally Posted by Russ Hunsaker View Post
    We went out this morning and I went south of Kelley's to get out of the wind/waves and sat right down on perch...white perch one after another. We caught 10 white perch for every yellow perch. I ended up filleting a white perch and using cut bait because they couldn't get it off of the hook as easy as minnows.

I have NEVER caught white perch like that. I only got a couple of sheeps but one of them broke the base right off of one of my perch reels. They weren't breaking my line anymore but breaking my reel is what happens when you put 30lb braid on an ultralight reel.
    Sounds like you are having a drag issue with your reels! Line wt. does not affect your drag settings. Set your drag like you are using 6lb or 8lb line even if you are using 30lb braid, the drag will still work like you are using the lighter lines as stated and you should not have anymore issues with breaking reels.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

7. Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by wayne johnson View Post
    Reel sport team started day out by middle island weather from last night had them very finky,,we stay the morning there and got nice perch up to 13,25 inches, but slow bite got a call to move south of kellys between boat dock and shore, well it was on fire but ten junk fish to 1 perch, then we made a wise descision and change our sinker wieght to 3 ounces, and it was on fire jumbo perch, and a couple walleyes. Final results 8 man limit 240 perch 64 lbs at cleaners, and witness by division of wildlife girl, also landed 1 27 inch 7 lb walleye, threw one small one back and lost another large one at boat, also we check our perch and we had 27 perch between 10,5 and 13.25 inches, rest were soild fat perch, Tip for day heavier than normal sinker, 3 oz. and only rigs to work to day was skipper nine rigs with chartuse bead, and plain skipper nine rigs hope this helps everyone Capt Mike 419 265 2736

Awesome fishing! Heavy weight is a definate asset. I know I fish a different water than you but we fished 50` of water for a 4 man ťOnt limit. we must be lucky here, only 2 whites and 3 sheep in mix, no eyes though....

BD
    Last edited by Big Dave Long Point On; 09-07-2014 at 07:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wakina View Post
    Sounds like you are having a drag issue with your reels! Line wt. does not affect your drag settings. Set your drag like you are using 6lb or 8lb line even if you are using 30lb braid, the drag will still work like you are using the lighter lines as stated and you should not have anymore issues with breaking reels.
    I know how to tighten my reel drag but I tightened my drags as tight as I could get them so I could horse the stupid things in so they wouldn't tangle up any other lines. I never thought I would break the reel seats off.