In Line planner boards In Line planner boards In Line planner boards In Line planner boards
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

I like to run a big board out one side with 6 lines on it, then run 4 Off Shore in-line boards out the other, this makes it easier to pull them in and solves Wakina's "turning" problem if you just turn to the side of the in-lines, then I run a single rod off each side with a dipsy diver set on a 3 setting, and 2 straight out the back on a "0." Of course if you are Capt. Juls then you could run tadpoles out the back, they work just as well.

I think I covered it all. lol... I might actually try that setup sometime and take a video! Of course I will make sure for the video that I have 7 people on board because I would never have more than 2 lines per person, that would just be wrong!

-Matt

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fishin2 View Post
    On another site hmmm,OGF, look up hetfields flag modification, easy make your own tattle flag use the flag that comes with the planer board! a couple nylon washers, 12 inch piece of stainless wire, a spring or rubber bands,a couple beads, bingo, cost me 2.00 to make mine, very easy. Mike
    I keep this page link on a flash drive after searching for it a year or 2 ago so it did not take long to get it and post here. Hope this helps and it works with both Off Shore and Church Boards.

http://www.ohiogamefishing.com/commu...lag#post988017
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone for your opinions. The help is appreciated. Thanks Jul's for the info on Franks they have great prices.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Wakina.............

Can you please explain this comment to me? I have thought about this all year and cannot figure it out. I will roll through an area and hammer the fish, turn around 180 and go back through and not catch a single one. What gives? Great statement by the way because it's very, very true.

"On most days the fish only bite going in one direction, meaning that you cannot just make a 180 to go back thru the fish and continue to catch fish even though the fish are still there. That time is wasted time as far as I am concerned."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steuben1 View Post
    Can you please explain this comment to me? I have thought about this all year and cannot figure it out. I will roll through an area and hammer the fish, turn around 180 and go back through and not catch a single one. What gives? Great statement by the way because it's very, very true.
    Usually current and lure speed will play a major factor in that situation you've described.
    If you turn and are going the same speed as you were in the other direction then more than likely the bait isn't presented in a fashion they want.

Less speed into current and more speed going with the current. Walleye tend to suspend with their noses into the current, so they can prey on bait fish as they pass by floating with the current.

There are two currents to keep track of while fishing the big lake....surface and bottom currents. There are charts online...I think through the Ohio Sea Grant website if I remember correctly where you can get the charts for the different currents with each wind direction...it's always changing. I printed them out a long time ago, and keep them on the boat for quick reference.

Make sense?
    Captain Julia "Juls" Davis
    [email protected]
    www.julswalleyefishingadventures.com
    https://www.facebook.com/JulsWFA?ref=br_rs
    Specializing in 1-3 person walleye and perch charters

Post Thanks / Like

Default Simple

"On most days the fish only bite going in one direction, meaning that you cannot just make a 180 to go back thru the fish and continue to catch fish even though the fish are still there. That time is wasted time as far as I am concerned."
    They have their backs turned !! Sorry, just had too, good fishin, Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Yep makes perfect sense if you give it some thought. I guess I never thought about it from a current perspective. So if you are rolling along and you pick up a sinker or two, would it be wise to make a wide circle and pass over the top of the school going the same direction again?

Post Thanks / Like

Usually the direction of the bite is with the wind or a quartering following sea and doing a 180 and heading into the wind affects your ability to control the boat without some sort of autopilot which is another expensive factor to consider. If there are only 1 or 2 of you fishing that means leaving the helm to net fish leaving your direction of travel in jeopardy, it only take a few seconds to totally destroy your fishing day at least for several minutes with lines in the prop or tangled so bad that you have to cut and retie your offerings leaving your line counter reels almost useless without knowing how much line you have lost. I know as I have been there and done that.

I find it easier to pull lines and go back to the starting point and follow the productive path and avoid the slower bite and all of the problems associated with going back on a 180 turn. I also find it easier to go back to the starting point and come back thru the active bite rather than try to figure out the proper boat speed vs subsurface current speed at the fishing depth which will affect lure action.

I use the small boards exclusively so pulling the inline boards and lines is much easier than pulling the lines and the big boards, there was a time that I used the big boards but then found the inlines more convenient than the big boards with the number of people being 4 or less that usually fish with me. Now it would be much easier to do the math if one has a Fish Hawk speed and temperature probe that reads the speeds at fishing depth and would indicate somewhat how the current is affecting the lure.

This is just my honest opinion!
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

Post Thanks / Like

Yep...what he said. That's why I have a Terrova with iPilot. It's like having someone steering the boat for me while I work.
    Captain Julia "Juls" Davis
    [email protected]
    www.julswalleyefishingadventures.com
    https://www.facebook.com/JulsWFA?ref=br_rs
    Specializing in 1-3 person walleye and perch charters

Post Thanks / Like

Hmm. I disagree with the thought that you only catch fish one direction. It just takes a different speed over ground (sog). On Any given day maintaining the same sog speed going with and against is a +/- 4 foot difference in depth of my gear a simple adjustment of speed can put your gear back in the strike zone. Most of the time I just watch the pull or bend of the rods before I turn and duplicate it going the other direction this usually gets me really close. Happy fishing.