In Line planner boards In Line planner boards In Line planner boards In Line planner boards
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default In Line planner boards

Getting ready to purchase some in line boards. Which ones do people prefer or seem to work the best Off Shore or Church Walleye boards? Any help will be appreciated.

Default planner boards

I use off shore... be sure to buy the red clips that have a nipple in them to prevent slide offs.

Off Shores for this gal.

You'll find the best prices at Franks Great Outdoors (.com).

I set mine up with the "Snapper" (OR-18) release on the front arm. Best release if you plan to use braided line at all. They work the best in colder weather too....if you're like me, when your hands get cold and don't seem to be able to work as well, you'll still be able to work the Snapper pretty easily.

I use the red (0R-16) on the back.

If you plan to upgrade the flag to the Tattle Flag system, you don't need to buy the full package (15.99 to 24.99 depending on the retailer)...instead, buy the "Economy Kit" flag system for 9.99, because you just need the stuff to make it a Tattle Flag. You don't need the extra stuff that you already have with the board you buy.
    Captain Julia "Juls" Davis
    [email protected]
    www.julswalleyefishingadventures.com
    https://www.facebook.com/JulsWFA?ref=br_rs
    Specializing in 1-3 person walleye and perch charters

Honestly your best bet would be trolling with big boards on Lake Erie. You cover so much more ground you can put out more pulls and it keeps everyone busy. Big boards are the way to go if you want to catch a lot of walleye.

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye master View Post
    Honestly your best bet would be trolling with big boards on Lake Erie. You cover so much more ground you can put out more pulls and it keeps everyone busy. Big boards are the way to go if you want to catch a lot of walleye.
    LOL... What??
    You can still only fish with two lines per person, unless you're breaking the law. And, you don't cover any more ground than trollers who use the inline planer boards.
    [email protected]

I agree with Captain Juls, Inline boards works best

Quote Originally Posted by eyedrifter View Post
    I agree with Captain Juls, Inline boards works best
    Thanks, but I didn't say, "they work best"..

The original poster asked a specific question about which inline planer board we like to use. This has nothing to do with big boards vs. little boards.

Big boards are great if you run a big 6 pack boat and have more than 4 people on board.

Each has their pros and cons in different situations. But, they BOTH belong on Lake Erie. That's all I was saying.
    [email protected]

I agree there is a place for both big boards and small boards. Just depends on the size of the boat and how many anglers are gonna be on board.

Default That other site

On another site hmmm,OGF, look up hetfields flag modification, easy make your own tattle flag use the flag that comes with the planer board! a couple nylon washers, 12 inch piece of stainless wire, a spring or rubber bands,a couple beads, bingo, cost me 2.00 to make mine, very easy. Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Juls View Post
    LOL... What??
    You can still only fish with two lines per person, unless you're breaking the law. And, you don't cover any more ground than trollers who use the inline planer boards.
    100% correct Captain Juls!!!!!!!! Also running big boards with only 2 people is a Royal PIA. With that being said there is a time and place for big boards but with 3 or less fishermen they are not needed unless you just want to use them.

On most days the fish only bite going in one direction, meaning that you cannot just make a 180 to go back thru the fish and continue to catch fish even though the fish are still there. That time is wasted time as far as I am concerned.

Pulling the big boards is a lot more work and time consuming vs. the small boards. When you leave out the small boards they are already fishing but with the big boards you have to wait to send the lures out before you attach the rod line to the board line after the board is out the desired distance and running at proper tension. You also have the storage and the release problems to over come with the big boards. Break the tow line just once on the big boards with 25 or 30 releases stacked against the big board as the day progresses and you will lose several dollars worth of releases. Depth control is as accurate as your line counter reels with the small boards but will vary considerably with the big boards as the distance between the attachment point at the tow line and where the line enters the water = lure depth lost. If you compensate for that depth loss, then when you allow the inside lines to slide down the towline you could be fishing under the fish which is a no-no. These are just a few of the things that you should consider about big boards.

It is only my preference and in no way do I want to bash the Offshore Products as they are very fine boards and they are involved with catching a large amount of fish. I personally favor the Church boards in the TX-22 model as they will float in the upright position when at rest. They also pull more weight than the OffShore Boards. There is very little differences between the Church Walleye Board and the TX-22 boards. The TX-22 boards can be switched from Port to Starboard with only a screw driver if the need arises, they float upright when not being pulled and are easier to spot if you happen to drop one in the lake or if you would attach them wrong and have them come loose while trolling. They are good to go straight out of the package with no upgrades to buy so long as you tighten the front release tight enough so the line does not slip thru the clamping mechanism and that would include braided line also this would also include the Walleye boards as well. When you need to replace the front release you have 2 upgrades that you can chose from, the Church Tackle Super Clip at a cost of 2 for about $15.00 and the Lockjaw Clip which runs at $13.00 a piece at Camp Chino on line or on EBay. The back clip is not a clip at all but a spring loaded pin that the line goes behind and the pin then is released to enter into the board making one of the most fool proof set ups on the water, it can also be replaced/upgraded to a stainless pin that is more tuff than the poly pins that are supplied with the boards. You should get several years of service out of the boards before release replacement so long as you keep the clamping mechanism tight enough to prevent the line from slipping thru the clamp which will render the original release useless unless you wrap your line around the release clamp.
    Last edited by wakina; 09-04-2014 at 12:11 PM.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip