couple quick questions... couple quick questions... couple quick questions... couple quick questions...

Default couple quick questions...

First, I usually use #6 hooks for perching but lately I seem to be losing a few right at the boat. Do you guys prefer #4 or #6's???

Second,in a little choppy weather while perch fishing my boat, 23.5 ft four Winn's(25 with swim platform), seems to move around quite a bit. Am I not letting enough anchor line out possibly or maybe too much??? My lines are all over the place when the boat turns in the wind. Anyone have any suggestions on how to keep the boat more still or is this just normal? Thanks alot fellas!!

Aaron

I normally use a 4 hook, don't know if that is right or not but it works for me. I have found a lot of the falloffs are because they are barely hooked. These perch seem to be getting smarter and just trying to bite the minnow without the hook. Can't tell you how many times the minnow gets sucked off but nothing getting hooked. As far as your boat moving around.....I know the feeling as I have a 22' aluminum hull and it really moves a lot. On some occasions I have used anchors both front and back but do not like doing that in rough conditions. When really moving it seems like fish only want to bite in one position and the darn boat just won't stay there LOL. You are not alone..

Try #2 hooks. I have better luck with bigger hooks for some reason. Also thread the minnows on pretty good. That way they have work more to get them off

I agree with the #2 hooks. I also use aluminum hooks and bend a "v" in the middle of the shank. It helps keep the shiner on.
    Rookie Perch fisher, veteran Perch eater.

I usually use a #2 tru turn and sometimes a #4

Greg

Thanks everyone... I'm going to try the #2's out next trip. Appreciate the Info!

Default hooks & anchors

I use long shank #2's. Easier for my old clumsy fingers to bait and remove from a fish with the longer steel. My 24' boat swings a good bit in a breeze but I prefer that to calm. Moves over new spots all the time and you can let the bait drag . Just use enough weight. I have used as much as 3 oz.

Default snells

Mustad snelled size #28
    Anchor line , just let out enough to find the bottom and then get the points to dig in as you slowly let out some line. If its not ruff, tie off the rope on rear corner cleat. If the waves are too much for comfort to tie off the rear, take the line as straight off the nose as you can. I/O boats do and will sway when hooked of the nose. Try moving your outdrive to steady out the swings or just raise it up. I have my line tied up on my boat to tie off the rear starboard cleat and the bitter end of the anchor line is tied off the front cleat. So, if you are on a good spot and tied off the rear and then the wind kicks up. You can then untie the rear cleat, let the boat swing around and the nose is now in the wind. Also vise versa.
    Last edited by gregnwtf; 09-01-2014 at 06:08 PM.
    Capt. Greg Hoyt
    419-890-2555 cell #
    Anchors Away Marina
    [email protected]

greenwtf,

Thanks for the information you shared. I will try a few of them ideas next time, I appreciate it. Anyone going out on wednesday?? Id love to head out tomorrow, but looks like rain and some wind.

Aaron(wave runner)

I have seen my buddy anchor his boat with a Y line to keep the nose pointed slightly at an angle. He tied the main anchor to the bow. Then tied another line to a midship cleat that he had attached about 10 feet in front of the boat. This caused the nose to point about 15 degrees to the side. It would sway a little bit but not the major swings as tied only to the bow.