Perch'n with Joe and Lisa Wailand 8/23/14 Perch'n with Joe and Lisa Wailand 8/23/14 Perch'n with Joe and Lisa Wailand 8/23/14 Perch'n with Joe and Lisa Wailand 8/23/14
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Perch'n with Joe and Lisa Wailand 8/23/14

Joe and Lisa Wailand might be familiar names to those who follow my blog. They fished with me back in May for walleye. They are a really fun, and down to earth couple who anyone would be lucky to share a boat with on any day.

After getting some really nice sized shiners from Hi Way Bait this morning, we launched at Mazurik's a little before 7am. I decided we would be headed to the NE corner of Gull Island Shoal to try for some bigger perch than what I have been getting west of the islands this past week, and it didn't disappoint.

We started in one spot, but it was mostly sheep, so I moved about a 1/4 mile west towards the tip of the shoal. I marked some good fish, and set the "Spot Lock" on the Terrova (anchor).
    It took a little while before they showed up in good numbers, and it was never an "up and down" situation, but they were steady enough, and the size was big enough to keep us up there. Every time I thought about moving, someone would catch a nice perch, so we just stayed.

It took 5 1/2 hours but we managed to get 90 perch that would weigh in at 32 pounds for an average of .35 pounds per fish. I was happy, and the crew was happy. The weather was perfect, and we had a lot of fun (Joe is a really funny guy, as in "Ha ha!" funny). It doesn't get any better than that....does it?

Since they met me at my house this morning, and we drove together, I dropped the fish off at Bay's Edge to be cleaned, and we went to Casa Las Palmas for lunch while we waited for the perch. After lunch, we picked up the fish and headed back to my house where we said our good byes. They said they planned on coming back in the spring for more walleye action...

Tomorrow's trip was rescheduled unexpectedly by the customer, so it looks like I have another day off. The next trip is Monday...for walleye.

Stay tuned...
    http://www.julswalleyefishingadventures.com/Blog.html
    Captain Julia "Juls" Davis
    [email protected]
    www.julswalleyefishingadventures.com
    https://www.facebook.com/JulsWFA?ref=br_rs
    Specializing in 1-3 person walleye and perch charters

Post Thanks / Like

Capt juls is gull island shoal in Canada or Ohio water? Just wondering about a general location. Thank you for ur help.

Troy

Post Thanks / Like

It's in Ohio just to the south of Middle island.
    Captain Julia "Juls" Davis
    [email protected]
    www.julswalleyefishingadventures.com
    https://www.facebook.com/JulsWFA?ref=br_rs
    Specializing in 1-3 person walleye and perch charters

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the info. i appreciate it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by troy1976 View Post
    thanks for the info. i appreciate it.
    Just a little advise! Gull shoal will destroy your lower unit or worse. The old Gull island which is now under water is the worst spot. Get a good GPS and Study it and avoid the trouble spots, the reef area itself is very dangerous. Water depths change rapidly in the shoal area, so be aware. Explore at idle speed and good luck.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wakina View Post
    Just a little advise! Gull shoal will destroy your lower unit or worse. The old Gull island which is now under water is the worst spot. Get a good GPS and Study it and avoid the trouble spots, the reef area itself is very dangerous. Water depths change rapidly in the shoal area, so be aware. Explore at idle speed and good luck.
    I hit the freakin things destroyed my prop.....I took my shallow alarm off and forgot about it on the next trip........was going slow and had the weight in the back and whammo before I noticed it.....I read my GPS big time from that point on anytime I am near the shoals..if you stay south of it it is 40 plus deep but going over it...can be a prob