Fishing with Leah and Mark 7/27/14 Fishing with Leah and Mark 7/27/14 Fishing with Leah and Mark 7/27/14 Fishing with Leah and Mark 7/27/14

Default Fishing with Leah and Mark 7/27/14

I had emailed Leah last night letting her know what the forecast was calling for today, but said that we should make the call in the morning, so I could check the radar and see exactly where the storms were, and when they would be here. It's a good thing we didn't reschedule going off of last night's forecast, because we had a beautiful morning to fish today. It was very hot and muggy with zero wind, and the bugs did not find us (which I thought was a miracle!).

We got a late start, because they couldn't meet me at my house until 8am, so we launched out of Huron at 8:45.

I had already gone to Hi Way Bait at 5am this morning, to get a fresh batch of
    night crawlers and ice. The dogs and I hit up Mickey D's for a breakfast sandwich, and then the DNR road by my house for an early morning walk.

When I got home, I still had two hours to waste, so I cleaned the house. It was nice coming home to a clean house after a day of fishing, so I could just relax. That doesn't happen very often.

Anyhooo....On the drive over to Huron, I told them, "It was kind of slow yesterday, but we did catch their limit. They fished for 7 hours though, so since you're only doing 4 hours today, we might not limit out, but we should catch some". They asked if the option to extend the trip was on the table, if they needed it, but I explained that the forecast was calling for thunderstorms in the afternoon, so that was probably not a possibility. We would just have to do the best we could in the time frame we had to work with.

Leah had bought this trip for Mark's birthday, and wanted to catch some fish....the Fish Gods must have been in a good mood, because we started catching fish as soon as we got the baits in the water. They had their limit in 3 1/2 hours with one "Fish-Ohio", 3 fish that went 26" or better, and the rest of them were really nice sized eaters (two were on the small side, but chunky 16 inchers). They couldn't have been happier with the catch today.
    I was actually quite surprised that the bite was as good as it was, because I was really expecting to just get lucky and get 6-8 fish in that time frame.

Same program Peeps! Crawler harnesses with #5 & #6 Colorado blades 41-51 back with 1 oz inlines, and 35 back with the #2 Tadpoles at 1.6 mph.
    I also had one bottom bouncer with a 5oz weight on it working the bottom, that managed to catch two walleye on it. (Those were the smallest of the bunch). The bigger fish were all suspended higher up in the water column.

We loaded out, drove back to my house, and they transferred their fish to their cooler to take to the fish cleaners. It was 15-20 minutes later that the skies opened up and a thunderstorm passed through dumping heavy rains.

I feel fortunate to have had such luck on my side today.
    1. To get a limit for two people in only 4 hours...
    2. To get the boat back under the canopy in the driveway before it rained. WoooHoooo!!! There was a lot of lightning and thunder with that quick little storm, so even if I had extended their trip, it would have forced us off the water anyway.

Leah and Mark were great. They were tired from their adventure at the Ohio State Fair yesterday, getting home late, only to get up early to go fishing with me. They were troopers and managed to get most of the fish that hooked up this morning.

Tomorrow is a day off for me, I thought I had a trip, but I goofed and put a name down on the calendar before getting the deposit....my bad. But, it's supposed to blow tomorrow anyway, so I would have ended up rescheduling...so there's no harm/no foul.
    I will use that time to finish two articles due, and get packed for my fly in trip to Canada next week.

The next trips are Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday...then, I'm leaving Thursday night for a vacation I have been waiting for since I was a little girl dreaming of the far north woods.

Stay tuned....
    http://www.julswalleyefishingadventures.com/Blog.html
    Captain Julia "Juls" Davis
    [email protected]
    www.julswalleyefishingadventures.com
    https://www.facebook.com/JulsWFA?ref=br_rs
    Specializing in 1-3 person walleye and perch charters

Default Enjoy

"Juls"

Enjoy your trip and I hope all comes just as dreamed for. The circle is beautiful country with tannin brown lakes full of fighters. Don't forget something for the blackflies also. Have a good time Capt. you've earned it.

Smile oh canada

Dear capt, beware of that canada trip! Why, you say? In 1954 my dad took me to beaverstone bay lodge near killarney ont. I was 8 years old. What an adventure for a kid! Something happened, i cant explain, but, ive never gotten over it. I have 60 yrs of memories, with my dad (hes gonewe now) my wife, whose an excellant fisher gal, and my 2 sons. We still go north each year, to the french river now. Still making memories. Have a great trip! Fred-eye

Thanks guys! I'm really excited about going. We're flying into Meta Lake Lodge about 25 minutes NW of Nakina.

This is the place... www.metalakelodgefishing.com

I can't wait!!!! I've been counting down the days since January, and it's now down to just 4 days before we leave. Woot! Woot!

Glad I'm fishing this week, so the time passes faster. lol
    [email protected]

where at in Canada are you going? If you've never been, you wont want to leave. Have a good time and thanks for the posts.

We have been fishing Osullivan lake which is about 15 miles or so from Nakina too. You will absolutely love it. A 2 lb walleye up there is like a 6 lber on erie. Not to mention the pike and lakers. Take Plenty of JD green hair jigs and 4 inch gulp shiners. Abolutely hammer the walleye with that set up. If you want big fish take divers with you and crankbaits, or harnesses. the big fish will be in 50 plus ft of water waiting to move up to the flats at night. Make sure you have good portable electronics if they arent provided. Man I got 5 more weeks till my turn. Good luck Capt. make sure you post some pics of those golden eyes.

troy

ps.. the best lure in my tackle box is a 2/0 gold hook with 2 split shot 18 inches above with either a gulp minnow or a live one still fishing like perch fishing on erie.

Quote Originally Posted by troy1976 View Post
    where at in Canada are you going? If you've never been, you wont want to leave. Have a good time and thanks for the posts.
    I posted the link in my previous response... www.metalakelodgefishing.com

It's a shallow lake, and I'm told we will be fishing mostly for pike since we have all the walleye we need to catch here on Erie.

There is a Wednesday night walleye fry though, so I guess we'll catch a few for that to share with the other guests. And, a shore lunch on one of the days.

I am mostly looking forward to the sights and "smells" of the north woods... taking me back to my childhood of camping with my family every year growing up....oh, and the shore lunch.

I fish for a living, so the fishing is just a bonus to my vacation.
    [email protected]

We have been fishing Osullivan lake which is about 15 miles or so from Nakina too. You will absolutely love it. A 2 lb walleye up there is like a 6 lber on erie. Not to mention the pike and lakers. Take Plenty of JD green hair jigs and 4 inch gulp shiners. Abolutely hammer the walleye with that set up. If you want big fish take divers with you and crankbaits, or harnesses. the big fish will be in 50 plus ft of water waiting to move up to the flats at night. Make sure you have good portable electronics if they arent provided. Man I got 5 more weeks till my turn. Good luck Capt. make sure you post some pics of those golden eyes.

troy

ps.. the best lure in my tackle box is a 2/0 gold hook with 2 split shot 18 inches above with either a gulp minnow or a live one still fishing like perch fishing on erie.
    Second that, except my go to bait up there in Georgian Bay is the gulp minnow in the black shad color. Cast it on a 1/8 or 3/16 plain head jig ( I like Bass Pro XPS). Smallies, walleye, pike.... never know what you will catch... they all will hit it.

Good luck capt juls. You are right up north is it's thing. Everything else up there is a bonus. Hope you tangle with a couple big northerns nothing quite like it. Make sure all technology devices are in the off position upon arrival and don't turn them back on till ur stateside again. Good luck and safe travels!

Make sure all technology devices are in the off position upon arrival and don't turn them back on till ur stateside again. Good luck and safe travels!
    Thanks! But, they have WI-FI up there, so I'll be taking the iphone and updating to Facebook with pictures of my adventures. But, I will limit it...
    [email protected]