Michigan trip - looking for ideas Michigan trip - looking for ideas Michigan trip - looking for ideas Michigan trip - looking for ideas
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Michigan trip - looking for ideas

Well, I know this isn't the right sub-forum, but its the one I check most, and it seems pretty active. So I'm hoping some of you have some ideas or advice..

Going to go on a 5 day trip with my girlfriend up into Michigan. I've been on Erie all my life, but never seen any of the other Great Lakes. I know that 5 days isn't enough time to see everything, so maybe give me some ideas for the must-see landmarks, etc.

Planning on going in the next month at some point, and will head up along Lake Huron on 23. Anyone have any recommendations on what to see along this route?

Then heading up into the upper peninsula, and would like to see Lake Superior.

Then on the way back, I plan to hit Sleeping Bear dunes, and Ludington. Anything else that is must-see along the Michigan-Lake Michigan coast?

I know that 5 days is not enough, but at least maybe it'll give me even more ideas for places to go see next time... we'd love to say we caught a fish on each of those lakes, but don't have the time or money to go on charters on each of the 3 lakes, so is there any good shoreline/pier fishing to do this time of year along my route?

Post Thanks / Like

Can't speak for the east coast, but from sleeping bear down to Ludington is fabulous anytime of year. Fish the surf at platte bay or the river. Hit the pier at frankfort a few miles south, keep going to Manistee, fish that pier, and on down to Ludington. If nothing else I sure you could catch sheephead at any of the great lakes from shore. I know, but it's still a FISH.
    F Troop 9th Cav 1st Air Cav

Post Thanks / Like

Default Oscoda

Oscoda, the AuSable river flows right through Oscoda. We were there last week and my granddaughter & grandson caught Walleye, Smallmouth, & Largemouth casting from shore. They are age 8 & 10. Go right at the mouth and cast crawlers bouncing bottom. Lots of Smallies in the river. Also behind Gilberts Pharmacy there is a spot on the river with a place to fish. Caught several smallies & 2 Walleyes there. Hope this helps. Wellman's Bait across the river will give you good information. Go to the Soo Locks, in the UP, that is a pretty cool place. The Big Mac Bridge is also cool. You are right, 5 days is not enough, enjoy. We will be at Cheboygan fishing Salmon & Lake Trout next week.

Post Thanks / Like

The museum at Whitefish Point is well worth it if you're into history. I thought it was definitely worth paying for the full tour. Tequamenon falls is scenic. Oswald's bear ranch is pretty cool.Watching A freighter go through the locks at Sault St. Marie is pretty cool. If you want to eat at a pretty awesome place, heading southeast along the rivet out of the Sault you can find a place called Cozy Corners... great food and an awesome display of all sorts of taxidermy. Like the others said, Sleeping Bear Dunes to Manistee to Ludington is a great area for beaches, lighthouses, pier fishing, you name it. If you make it to Ludington, heading out on the pier and watching the Badger head out is cool. These are a few I can think of.

Greg

Post Thanks / Like

South Haven and St Joe are beautiful as well and good charters there for Kings, Steelies and perch

Post Thanks / Like

I've fished all over Michigan for salmon, best thing I can remember is Gibbs Family Diner in Ludington!!!!!!!!!! lol go figure...lol

those sweet rolls are to die for, anyone else been there?

sadly there's been reports that this is now closed, what a shame...
    Last edited by limitlypps; 07-24-2014 at 04:26 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Michigan Trip

Wanted to Reply since I have lived here all my life and spent much time in the outdoors and UP,Love the UP,I would skip the east side of michigan and go right to the UP ,Skip St marie area and Go north to lake and West,Lake Superior shoreline is Gorgeous ,Might go to Munising area,Cliffs there ,Dog Patch a good place to eat there.Bar Restaurant combo been there forever.You could go on to copper harbor or cut back south to lake michigan go back across the bridge and concetrate on the west side of the state all the way down all of the cities along there are interesting,petosky ,Charlevoix,Traverse Bay area,all the way down ,stay along the lake-scenic route,also Sleeping Bear Dunes a good idea.Lots of Islands also where you can take car out if you had time.If you do go to the east side dont cut over off the hyway untill you are far north ,there is some great fishing on out east side like lake st clair and saginaw bay but very populated and not the scenic,Saginaw bay is much like erie as far as Walleye.
    Hope all goes well
    Tom

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

To add to all the other posts, try channel cats near oscoda and check out the hessel, cedarville area just ne of big mac bridge. While at the soo, take the 10 min ferry ride to sugar isl or neebish isle. The charlesvois, petosky areas are beautiful. Be sure and look for pick your own peaches in these areas of traverse city also dont forget to go to leland and get some smoked chubs.you could take a charter out of frankfort, or ludington for salmon , dont forget to travel rt 22 thru this area and see lk leelanau, glen lake and crystal lk stop by suttons bay and get ice cream, swing back by lk st. Claire and take a musky charter. . . . . .I could go on and on, but , you need more time! Enjoy.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys! I'll update later with what we decide to do!