The Islands, 2nd week of June. The Islands, 2nd week of June. The Islands, 2nd week of June. The Islands, 2nd week of June.
    hammerhead Guest

Lightbulb The Islands, 2nd week of June.

Traditionally we fish the West Sister area this time of year and have done well. This year we are going for a change of pace and will be fishing out of Cawtaba.

Can I expect the same type of fishing around the Islands as it is around West Sister?

I look to drift and cast spinner rigs and troll spoons and cranks.

Last year we had the most success trolling the 3 3/4" pro king spoons in black and gold, purple and black and purple and gold the one day we powered over from Coooley Creek to Green Is.. Had to upsize the spoons to keep the white bass at bay. This was the 4th of July.

Thanks for the help!!!

binks61 Guest

If the water heats up like last year, troll the deeper water between Green and Rattlesnake Islands. Last year ( 1st week of June) we ran jets straight out the back and inline boards with snap weights to the side. 4 passes 3 limits in the middle of the day. All meat harnesses.

hammerhead Guest

Thanks Binks, sounds good.

Are jets the norm for you guys on Erie? What size, 40's?

Here on Michigan it's all dipseys. Last year on Erie we ran 2 per side (the small ones) at a #1 and #3 setting with good results and riggers down the middle. I had 2 dipseys I sprayed black and put some gold prizm tape on that hammered them.

On your meat rigs, is gold king or will other colors produce well, depending on conditions, I'm sure.

hot-n-tot501 Guest

So you are going to launch out of Catawba, huh! Well, there's a few good spots you may want to try for walleye. The first spot is called Lucy's Point, off the Northeast side of middle bass island. Troll the deep water to the east of the green dinger bell and cast weight forwards or worm harnesses on the west side of the buoy on the reef. In June, this area tends to hold a lot of nice walleye, even though u don't see ton's of boats pressuring it. This is a great area for perch in the spring as well, but fish to the south and east of the buoy and you may get a decent amount of jumbo's. Also, try around carpenter's point reef southwest of Kelley's and definitely don't ignore gull island shoal and kelley's shoal north of the island. Just from experience, i've learned that just because it is hot, the water is flat, and the sun is shining, don't mean the walleye are in deep water. I've caught some of my biggest trophy's on reefs on hot, sunny days. Also to note, kelley's island shoal and gull ALWAYS hold walleye. If u can't seem to find the fish, always make at least one or two drifts over kelleys shoal with weight forwards. Trust me, you'll be glad you did. Well, good luck on the water.

binks61 Guest

Hammer, only do two/three trips to Western Basin/PC area in spring. After the 2nd week of June we fish in the Central Basin/Port Connneaut area into the Fall. Much deeper water . The typical set up is similar to what your running. Big Dipsys with meat harnesses or michigan stinger spoons and downrigging.

I will be using trying small "cookie" divers with stick baits and in-line boards in search of a few bigger fish this spring in the area I noted earlier.

Good Luck. Drop a note on here when your going to be there, If were up, I'll buy ya a beer. Love to hear some stories on King Fishing In Michigan !

Bill Inks

PS: Overall last years big hitter was the 2 blade copper /watermellon willowleaf harness. I Allways use the small gold colorado single blade when I'm tossing a casting harness.
    Last edited by binks61; 03-05-2008 at 11:07 PM.

hammerhead Guest

Bill and Hot, thanks for the replies and the valuable info.

Bill, I just got confirmation on our accomidations today. We were able to score 3 units at the Beachcliff on Catawba. June 11-15. Will be coming up with 4 boats to do some damage.

Ya, we put some serious kings in the boat over here. I fish mostly out of East Chicago, In., but will run up top Winthrop Harbor at the Il-Wis. line in late July and early August for some nite fishing for the staging 4 year olds. 150#'s a nite is common.

I've fished the Islands in mid-April in the past and have done well when we could get out!! Rattlesnake, Green, the cup at the top of Kellys, Gull Island Shoal and between the Bass islands. Trolled the saddles with #10 and 12 deep huskies, big rouges, reef runners and deep tail dancers on the boards and SHALLOW!! Top 3 to 10 feet, even out over 48 to 50 fow. Buddy of mine got a 13# 14 oz. Like to see that fish before the spawn!!

If you like perch, we get 'em 12 to 16 inches over here all summer long. 30 fish, 45 pounds!!!

Bill, you get a lot of steel over that way. I read about you guys in Great Lakes Angler, sounds like a blast 20 eyes and 10 steelies in a trip!!!
    Last edited by hammerhead; 03-09-2008 at 07:16 PM. Reason: forgot something I wanted to ask..