Worm Harnesses Worm Harnesses Worm Harnesses Worm Harnesses
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Worm Harnesses

Default Worm Harnesses

I am aware that many here run harnesses behind in-line weights of various types. Has anyone run harnesses behind a diver like Jets, Mini Dipsys, Tru-Trips, etc.? What were your experiences? Any tips?

HYPO

Yes , harnesses work excellent behind tru trips

We always run our harnesses behind tru trip 40's and have done well. We did not have a good day yesterday and wondered if it was our harness choice but heard a lot of people struggled. But yes, we run them behind tru trips and also dipseys.

Smile harness

we run true trip 40 double willow blade meduim and large size all weekend with great success 8 ft leader off diver speed 2.10 to 3.10

Capt Mike Reel Sport

Quote Originally Posted by wayne johnson View Post
    we run true trip 40 double willow blade meduim and large size all weekend with great success 8 ft leader off diver speed 2.10 to 3.10

Capt Mike Reel Sport
    Mike, you seem to be running your set a lot faster than others, more like spoon or body bait speeds. Obviously it's working for you. How did you come to using these faster trolling speeds, when I see everyone else talking about 1.2 to 1.8 type speeds when running harnesses?

I run my harnesses off my lite bite slide divers. then if I have 4 people in the boat I run 2 outriggers with the little dipsy. I run the little dipsy with 15# braid and run it out 250' to 300' behind the boat. sometimes the little dipsy is hot and sometimes if the fish are really deep I don't do so good. I fish the central basin of erie. I run about 1.8 to 2.0 mph on my gps.

Smile speeds

every trip is different, we usually start at 2.0 then move up or down to see what working for the day, same with color of blades, bead colors, and leads off divers to harness, then when it works stay with it till it quits.
    \
    Reel Sport Team Capt. Mike 419 265 2736

So how are you changing your leads to the harness? I must admit here, that I have been fishing Erie for 30 or so years and during that time I have steadfastly stuck to artificials and had done very well, until recently. It seems for the past 2-3 years it is sometimes difficult to limit out unless you put some meat out there. I'm taking some serious ribbing from my buddies, but I am not too ashamed to change if it will put fish in the boat. So despite having much experience with spoons and body baits, I am a relative novice in dragging harnesses, hence all the questions. I really appreciate all the tips and techniques given on this site BTW.

HYPO

Smile harness

Best advice I can tell you without going to alot of expense, make minor changes to your program, shortern or lenghtent leads from jets to harness when fish are not biting, change blade sizes, change bead colors, bump up or lower your speed, try to find different blade colors that are not been used on this side of lake, its easier for us because we have 12 or more rods in the water at a time plus hundreds of different harness on board and we switch often, everyone has different ways of hooking thier crawlers sometimes this makes a big differents. if your good with spoons you shouldn't have much trouble, try spoon harness combo.

The Reel Sport Team, Capt. Mike and Wayne 419 265 2736

Default mondays report

Monday morning left wards canal at 6.30 am straight out to 21 ft of water set up and trolled from wards to intake and back got 6 16 to 20 inch fish right away using jet 40s with j-7s perch and blue ice. stinger spoons all different colors and 2 harnesses out back 1 on a bb 1 on a inline. made next pass and 1 fish. I switched over to a no 5 Colorado pink with purple dots and I could not keep it in the water white bass and white perch sheephead and 4 walleye on it. put out 2 stingers with the harness and crawlers we landed a 28 incher 2 26 inchers got slow and hot we left at 2 pm with 14 fish 3 guys. for the first time I cut them and yes the fillets were white with little red meat but I still zipped out the big ones