How do you find the perch? How do you find the perch? How do you find the perch? How do you find the perch?

Default How do you find the perch?

I have never perch'ed before and wanted to know what you are looking for, on the sonar, weeds, rock pile, a hump, a dip???? Its one thing to go out and troll for miles, your bound to find some fish, but another to throw the anchor over and sit in one spot.

Thank you to all of you that help out the once a month fishermen like myself.

Quote Originally Posted by jreed2528 View Post
    I have never perch'ed before and wanted to know what you are looking for, on the sonar, weeds, rock pile, a hump, a dip???? Its one thing to go out and troll for miles, your bound to find some fish, but another to throw the anchor over and sit in one spot.

Thank you to all of you that help out the once a month fishermen like myself.
    Start out by searching in the known perch holding spots! D-Can, G-Can, Niagara Reef east of the buoy, C-can, B-Can and the deeper water off of the pickerel reefs to name a few in the western basin. There are literally hundreds of good perch spots and naming them all here would be impossible. Reading the reports on this site will also give you a heads up for where to start your search. Also check with the bait store for perch reports, the more fish that you catch using their reports will make you more inclined to become a regular customer so they are usually accurate to a point, be aware that conditions do change rather quickly and that what they are saying is a good report area can be a DOA area by the time you get there.

Here is a thread that will help you with your sonar reading abilities and also has a couple pictures that should help you when it comes to reading perch marks. I hope this helps but like all things your abilities will improve with added experience.

http://www.thehulltruth.com/great-la...lake-erie.html
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

When are you going out? As previous reply said I usually start with the known spots if there are no reports on here. If you are going out soon I have been having excellent luck around B-can in 28 fow. Last Sunday we went out and just nailed em out there. As the water warms up we usually head to the northeast side of kelleys island. If you're not a regualr percher than hopefully you have a rod/reel combo with a lot of feel like an ultra-lite or light rod. Spreaders or carolina rigs work well. I use an ultra-lite and sometimes the perch have a very soft subtle nibble. They don't attack usually like an eye does. I let the rig hit bottom one-two cranks up and then la slow raise on a good spot will almost always catch the fish. Hoping this helps
    Last edited by tlogan; 07-11-2014 at 08:51 AM.

I am docked at Fenwick and am heading there after work today and will be fishing tonight and tomorrow until noon.

The articles are perfect. The sonar images are very helpful.

We launched out of turtle last sunday. Ran 70 degrees out of the channel about 5 miles off shore. Get to 28 fow. Hammered em there. You will see west sister to the west and PIB to the east. Doesn't look like I'll be able to get out this weekend. Best of luck. Let us know how you do!

Default B can 7/11

We fished around B can today for 6 hours. 4 of us only caught 26 perch. I did not see other boats around catch many. Maybe it was the east wind.