To zip or not? To zip or not? To zip or not? To zip or not?

Thread: To zip or not?

Default To zip or not?

I don't zip my fillets. I don't care that others do, obviously it is simply a personal preference. I am not sure why so many people who do zip them are bound to change the minds of those who do not, as if we haven't been fully enlightened and they feel the need to bring us into their circle of light and allow us to be amazed by what we have been missing.

Again, there is nothing wrong with zipping the fillets, except for the fact that it is illegal when doing it before you are home, and I don't think any poor thoughts toward those that do...

So with having said that, I like the fillet whole. I eat the whole thing with no complaints. I have yet to have anyone complain about the taste of walleye because I didn't zip them. The bones come out easier and quicker when cooked than zipping them out when filleting them... So if me and my family enjoy that meat that you throw away, and we like to have the fillets look like fish instead of chicken strips, why is it that people keep trying to convince me to zip fillets?

It's like they feel the need to "help" me in my lack of wisdom and understanding.

So here you go. I am asking you to explain. I will listen...

-Matt

I zip fish about 20" or larger. The smaller ones the bones aren't too bad. I like to scale smaller fish and have the fillets whole for the grill. The bigger ones I zip because I will probably be cutting them into chunks or smaller pieces any way and zipping takes out some of the stronger red meat. The red meat isn't that bad but I think it makes for a milder flavor, IMO. If you prepare your fish without breading or batter its easy to pick out the bones but if you coat them before cooking the bones are a PITA, especially for little kids. Just my 2¢

Quote Originally Posted by Madd Matt View Post
    I don't zip my fillets. I don't care that others do, obviously it is simply a personal preference. I am not sure why so many people who do zip them are bound to change the minds of those who do not, as if we haven't been fully enlightened and they feel the need to bring us into their circle of light and allow us to be amazed by what we have been missing.

-Matt
    Like the grass being greener on the other side of the fence! Sometimes it only appears to be greener until you are there looking down on it. So to me the same thing applies to the other things in life. Far be it from me to tell another person how and what to do with the fish they are going to eat or even what size to keep so long as they are legally caught. I do not have a problem with those who want to release the larger or smaller fish, but I will not share the fish that I catch if a person is releasing larger fish and do not get to a limit of fish for themselves because of that.

I zipper mine and trim that reddish meat away! It does have a slightly different taste and is a little more fishy, but then again it is fish we are talking about so it should taste like fish. With that being said, a Happy Wife means a Happy Life, so I zipper all of the eyes that I catch and keep for our personal consumption.

To me there is one thing that I feel enhances the culinary usefulness and texture of the meat, that is bleeding them as soon as possible. The faster they are dispatched and bled the higher the quality of the meat. They should be treated the same as any other living creature that is going to be used for table fare. It seems to limit the amount of reddish meat in the lateral line and most of the strong flavor which is actually contained in the blood. I still do not tell others that they should bleed their fish, but from time to time suggest that practice to fellow fishermen. All fish caught on my boat that are headed to the deep fryer get the bleeding treatment so the fish that I intend to eat are not laying in a pool of slimy blood until we are done fishing for the day.
    Last edited by wakina; 07-07-2014 at 08:21 AM.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

I fillet mine because it's less dangerous for people to eat when all the bones are out. We have a lot of little one who eat fish with us but then again, the wife would not eat them with bones in either. A friend of mine swallowed a fish bone years ago and caused him some big medical bills. He is afraid to eat fish now and thoroughly checks them before he even thinks about swallowing.

Who are these people you say are trying to convince you to zip them? If they are people who are eating your fish, maybe it is a polite way of telling you they don't like the bones.

Absolutely a personal preference, but I would venture to say that 90% zip or fillet them.

Making the wife happy is the best reason and logic I have heard!

-Matt

All three responses are correct, especially Wakina's statement about any table fare, venison, rabbits, you gut them right away, skin them as soon as possible. Spoiled blood is natsy. (The reason for bleeding) Also the lateral line holds contaminants, especially older ones that have had more time to collect them. Three reason to zip as I see it.... cleaner fillets, no bones, less chance of PCB's or what ever crap collects there. Just my thinking, Also I think it tastes better.
    F Troop 9th Cav 1st Air Cav

the biggest thing I started 2 years ago is to bleed the fish as I catch them, it makes a big difference. i have a 5 gallon bucket and a pair of scissors, just cut their gills and place in the bucket with some water, after about 5 minutes place in the cooler. The cleaning table is also less messy. As far as zippering last I checked we still live in America feel free to do as you choose.

I like zipping mine out just to be sure I get the bones. I was at a buddy's house over the 4th for a fish fry and he does not zip needless to say I pulled a handful of bones out of my mouth through out the feast. I do however keep some of the smaller fish in full fillets for the grill or baking. It's a personal preference if you havnt zipped give it a shot and compare. I also skim all red meat and started bleeding my fish this year and I have noticed a difference in the fillets as well.

Smile

I cut mine out accept an inch from the tail so the whole fillet is intact. Saves a big fight at the dinner table with the wife if she would get a bone. She really does not like eating anything without feathers so I will make sure there are no bones.

I always have jsut left the belly meat alone. my wife prefers that I dont bother with anything around the bones so that is what I do. a happy wife is a happy life. wise man told that to me. as everyone knows